Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
AMD Eyefinity and Nvidia Surround Technologies Reviewed

Started by: tp9311a | Date 08/30/11 09:18:51 AM
Comments: 33 | Last Comment:  02/24/14 05:12:09 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-16]

http://www.newegg.com/Pro...aspx?Item=N82E16824236122
http://www.newegg.com/Pro...aspx?Item=N82E16814999032

Yes, a monitor in one of the setups cost "$250" and up.
And yes, an active display port adapter "are quite expensive".
Right, if this article was written maybe 2 years ago, when the technology haven't been matured yet but now everything is "more affordable".
4 2 [Posted by: tp9311a  | Date: 08/30/11 09:18:51 AM]
- collapse thread

Another troll...

There are monitors and monitors, adapters and adapters. If those are cheap in North America, it doesn't mean they have the same price everywhere. Just check some prices in UK if you dare...
2 4 [Posted by: TAViX  | Date: 08/31/11 02:06:00 AM]

well i can get the active adapter starting at 19 euro's on the mainland. the UK can't be that much more expensive.

even twice the price its stills WAY cheaper then needing a second videocard.
0 0 [Posted by: Countess  | Date: 09/08/11 05:55:32 AM]

WTH is this bullshit? Why don't you put the [PR] tag in this?

You come saying that AMD's approach is expensive because of the monitors, takes to much space, consumes energy... WTF? When did nvidia started giving monitors for free? Where do I sign for their "we will pay your energy bills" program?

And you come with an "unfortunately, this is not all yet. You see..." and bash AMD for offering "only" two displays "no matter what" the protocol. "If you 'want' another monitor", you need to buy a Displayport adapter... And you say that is a DRAWBACK? (you follow it with "on the positive note..." ) Why didn't you mention the FLEX brand (and maybe others), which doesn't need that? (SPECIALLY when you took your time to mention gtx590 in the nvidia section)

The malicious intention of the writer are all over when you see how he writes the nvidia part: "unlike their competitors... (Nvidia) do not expect the users to invest extra money in adapters". Sure! They expect you to buy ANOTHER GRAPHIC CARD! Does the PR-stunt-man even underlines that in the next sentence? (after all, it makes SENSE to do it now) NO! He comes with a "Nvidia expects you to have three identical displays... (which) isn't necessarily a huge disavantage..." Sure! Then why did you said that AMD's way is expensive because of the monitors and dumbed-down when Nvidia asks you to throw away your old one?

That's not all! The unprofessional guy even says that there's "another LITTLE issue or what some MAY EVEN consider a disavantage" of Nvidia, because they need two GPUs... But don't worry! There's the gtx590 and you can even choose to run an SLI setup... You literaly waited for the last sentence to inform how this means in investing into ANOTHER graphic card, (possible ANOTHER) SLI-ready mainboard and possibly (ANOTHER) more powerful PSU (besides the negligible configuration bit).

And I wouldn't even comment how you started your nvidia part saying that "Unlike their competitors... (nvidia) give you an additional feeling of involvement and supremacy". And, also, I won't even comment the numbers, like comparing a gtx560 Ti SLI system ($500) with a single HD6970 ($340, both from newegg) and not pointing that out.

Man... Seriously. WTF? Don't you have any shame? How could you spin that SO HARD?
5 3 [Posted by: sirroman  | Date: 08/30/11 09:49:18 AM]
- collapse thread

Great post sirroman, pulverize that shill.
2 2 [Posted by: bereft  | Date: 08/31/11 06:14:08 PM]

The biggest advantage of AMD Eyefinity is that it can be activated on virtually any of the currently available graphics cards. However, you will need to purchase an additional active DirectPort adapter, which are quite expensive.

$25.99 is expensive?

and what the gent above me said. This is either "X-Bit, brought to you by Nvidia..or you don't do any research. even a cursory look around various vendors would have you realizing that active display adapters can be had for $25 a copy...I know this first hand. I have a 3x1 eyefinity setup with my $25 active adapter in place.
5 2 [Posted by: red1776  | Date: 08/30/11 09:56:01 AM]
- collapse thread

do it 10 times more if you want to do the nvidia SLI setup :p so compared to that it isn't expensive and prices of the adaptor would crash if every one bought the adaptors and maybe you don't need to do it any more in the next generations of there gpu's
0 0 [Posted by: massau  | Date: 08/30/11 10:01:20 AM]

Yeah 26$ or 26€ in Europe IS expensive!! This is just a stupid adapter not some fancy device!
1 2 [Posted by: TAViX  | Date: 08/31/11 02:09:21 AM]

Wow, if $26 is expensive then you would not be getting a setup like this to begin with. You are looking at just under $1000 for the cheapest setup (6970) and over $1400 for the most expensive (GTX590)
0 1 [Posted by: mamisano  | Date: 09/01/11 06:33:10 AM]

Why is the starting tone of the article so biased towards NVIDIA? I know the AMD technology allows multiple (3 or 6 depending on the exact card you get) mixed monitors NATIVELY, only requiring possible adapaters if your monitors don't have the right inputs, yet their technology is described as "not so rosy" and having "a few problems to overcome". Also the way it is written make it seem that the fact AMD can connect 6 monitors (which NVIDIA can only dream of) is a disadvantage because of the powerbills... The fact that NVIDIA requires TWO graphic cards (or one very expensive flagship card) for more than 2 monitors is written of only as a "slight inconvenience" (which by the way increases the powerbill more in an otherwise equal 3 monitor setup...) . I am neither an AMD or NVIDIA fanboy, but I'd like these reviews to be an objective comparison so I (and other readers with me) can make up my own mind in an informed way.

My advise: Start with a general introduction describing benefits and disadvantages (including placement/wallmounting etc) of multi-monitors, then dive into a comparison of the different offerings.

update: oops, only after posting the other comments unfolded, I see I'm late/redundant with my reply... sorry.
3 0 [Posted by: Olaf  | Date: 08/30/11 08:56:13 PM]

active mini-DP adapters are around $30 on amazon.com

edit: damn, late to the punch lol.
1 0 [Posted by: csosnowski  | Date: 08/30/11 09:10:23 PM]

Yeah 26$ or 26€ in Europe IS expensive!! This is just a stupid adapter not some fancy device!

It's not a "stupid adapter" it has active circuitry that allows you to use much less expensive monitors without active Display ports.

There are monitors and monitors, adapters and adapters. If those are cheap in North America, it doesn't mean they have the same price everywhere. Just check some prices in UK if you dare...

Oh I did, and they are...

http://www.overclockers.c...duct.php?prodid=CB-047-OK
http://www.amazon.co.uk/g...04VVMNZ4&linkCode=asm
1 1 [Posted by: red1776  | Date: 08/31/11 07:00:15 AM]

Doesn't the big black borders between screens spoil things somewhat?
1 2 [Posted by: Zimanodenea  | Date: 08/31/11 09:48:50 AM]
- collapse thread

You get used to it after a few days, you won't even know that there is a bezel after a week.
0 0 [Posted by: ThingFish  | Date: 08/31/11 03:02:36 PM]

However, you will need to purchase an additional active DisplayPort adapter, which are quite expensive.

How is a $20-$25 active DP adapter expensive? Compared to the money you will spend on two or three displays and/or a new GPU it's relatively nothing.

I love the detailed benchmarks in the article but there's no mention of online gaming. I play Team Fortress 2 and other FPS quite frequently and I can tell you from experience that Eyefinity is amazing. You can see much more of the battlefield and enemies coming up on your flanks that you can't see on a single display. It's not all about image quality and eye candy.
0 2 [Posted by: ThingFish  | Date: 08/31/11 03:00:35 PM]

Problems I have with the article accuracy:

#1: NVIDIA's solution requires two GPUs. AMD only requires one GPU.
#2: NVIDIA's solution can only do 3x1. AMD's solution can do 2x1, 3x1, 4x1,5x1,3x2.
#3: NVIDIA's solution requires no extra active adapters. AMD's solution requires $25 active adapters for displays 3 or more.
#4: The article has no clue about the surround-screen origins and how Matrox really pioneered consumer triple screen gaming with the TH2G years before.
#5: They focus on "expensive" $25 adapter needed for AMD and totally omit that a second NVIDIA GPU would be a bit more than $25...
#6: There are more Dual GPU NVIDIA cards capable of surround than just the 590. Both variations of the 295 and EVGA's dual 460 card also can.
#7: And lastly, vram is an important part of surround screen performance. You should have no less than 2GB.
1 1 [Posted by: BHawthorne  | Date: 08/31/11 03:43:17 PM]
- collapse thread

show the post
2 5 [Posted by: sirmotto  | Date: 08/31/11 05:32:27 PM]

1999 called. they want their driver bashing talking-point sheet back.
1 0 [Posted by: Countess  | Date: 09/08/11 06:06:21 AM]

once again u didn't put to the test, moron, the gtx 580 in SLi... but u used 6970 in xfire, smart move, moron!
1 3 [Posted by: sirmotto  | Date: 08/31/11 05:25:54 PM]
- collapse thread

There are no Xfire setups, did you actually read the review?

AMD Radeon HD 6990
AMD Radeon HD 6970
Nvidia GeForce GTX 590
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Titanium SLI
2 0 [Posted by: mamisano  | Date: 09/01/11 06:10:54 AM]

show the post
1 5 [Posted by: bereft  | Date: 08/31/11 06:12:52 PM]

For those of you who are curious, this dutch site did a good objective review: http://nl.hardware.info/r...ia-surround-gaming-review . Use Google translate or skip to the benchmark bit to get an impression of performance of different setups ( http://nl.hardware.info/r...estaties-tom-clancys-hawx ).

Their conclusion (translated): For good performance you'll need 2x 6850 or 1x 6970 (AMD) or 2x 460(possible)/560(safer)(NVIDIA). Going the AMD route is the cheapest solution, allowing for a 710,- euro triple-screen setup (including 1x DP-DVI adapter).

For those wondering about the black borders: both solutions offer an option for bezel correction, letting the image continue behind the bezel, so the images seemlessly line up (see roll over image on http://nl.hardware.info/r...g-review-bezel-correction ) . Recommend for racing and flying, not so much for shooters, as targets are able to hide in the "hidden pixels" between two screens.
1 0 [Posted by: Olaf  | Date: 09/01/11 09:29:21 PM]

show the post
0 3 [Posted by: SiliconDoc  | Date: 09/02/11 02:26:06 AM]
- collapse thread

and you are an nvida fanboy. LOL, hahaha! )
3 1 [Posted by: TAViX  | Date: 09/02/11 06:53:05 AM]

crap dx11 performance?
http://www.tomshardware.c...-6950-cayman,2818-11.html

its hd6970 is just below the much more expensive gtx580.

even in metro2033
http://www.tomshardware.c...d-6950-cayman,2818-9.html
which doesn't like AMD at all, at high resolutions its only a bit behind the gtx580.

has to spend hour after hour "ironing out" with a thousand web link clicks and hacking up xml files and flashing bios' and all the rest - tweaking out msi afterburner after unlocking voltage - ETC... just for "stability".

i have no idea what you are talking about. any problem I've had, update drivers, its gone, problem with a new driver, reinstall the one old, problem gone. all 4 of my ATI's have been rock solid and have run overclocked near to the max that overdrive allows for pretty much their whole life with me and the people i gave them away too.
so far only my 9700pro has died... and it was close to 10 years old.

Oh gawd, I just got the mouse corner lockup again...

ya, update your drivers. that was fixed 2 months ago. and it was just a slowdown, not a lock. if your going to troll at least get you're facts straight.
0 0 [Posted by: Countess  | Date: 09/08/11 06:19:36 AM]

I hope Xbit are ashamed for this shill 'review'

The author should be fired/shot/murdered
1 1 [Posted by: alpha0ne  | Date: 09/02/11 02:37:55 AM]

This is one of the worst articles here on Xbitlabs I've read. Lots of spin, bias, and bullshit. I've been coming here (and a member of) Xbitlabs since 2004 and the articles were great. But I didn't expect this from Xbitlabs which is pathetic. Many others sites cite that AMD's solution is much more flexible, cheaper, and overall simply better than nVidia's solution to multiple monitors.

Get another write because this one is horrid and tarnishes Xbit's reputation.
2 0 [Posted by: RtFusion  | Date: 09/03/11 10:28:45 PM]

This is very nice material. But sadly it's old. You should do an update.
0 0 [Posted by: Valdis Dravnieks  | Date: 02/24/14 05:12:09 PM]

[1-16]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment