Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Synology DS210j and DS410j Network Attached Storage Devices Review

Started by: Orville | Date 04/10/10 04:50:38 AM
Comments: 2 | Last Comment:  04/13/10 08:39:02 PM

[1-2]

Hugh,

Thank you so much for your review Synology DS210j and DS410j Network Attached Storage Devices Review. I read it with considerable interest because I'm about to step off into the NAS realm to improve the organization of and access to my movie collection. Right now, when I'm in the mood for a movie, I spend about 20 minutes fumbling through my collection of movie boxes before the curtain swings open. That sucks. Anyway, I've been looking at NASs for a couple of months now trying to figure out which one I should start off using. My conclusion has been that these things are just too damned expensive. I mean $400US for a two hole QNAP with one of those paltry little ARM processors and hardly any memory, Come on! But, after finishing your article I visited Froogle and found that the Synology DA210j could be had for just under $230US. That's much better.

Now I come to my questions. Because of a lack of available space, my NAS will have to be housed in a fairly small credenza in my living room. It's where my network equipment resides. I have a LAN switch, a USB device server for my printers/scanner and an ADSL router in this cabinet along with a small UPS. I have cut several holes in the back of the credenza to allow heat to escape and wires to come in and out, but I am concerned about dumping in any more heat than absolutely necessary. Another thing is I dislike racket, greatly. These things cause me to ask you to augment your measurements using a pair of 2TB HDDs of the 5400RPM or 5900RPM kind running in the JBOD configuration. I have noticed that some of the WD 5400RPM HDDs are on the problem list of several of the NAS makers. I would appreciate your comment on why they are on the list. My three questions are:

1.How many simultaneous, and different Blu-ray movies can the Synology DS210j server deliver without glitches over a Gbit LAN to clients running CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra. It would be so nice to see the numbers for 5400, 5900 and 7200 RPM HDDs?

2.How much power, at the wall, does the DS210j draw when it is idle and when it is delivering the maximum number of Blu-ray movies it can to clients running CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra on a Gbit LAN?

3.How much racket does the DS210j generate when it is idle and when it is delivering the maximum number of Blu-ray movies it can to clients running CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra on a Gbit LAN?

Hugh, thank you again for your article reviewing this more reasonably priced NAS that may be useful as a Blu-ray media server for consumers.

Orville
0 0 [Posted by: Orville  | Date: 04/10/10 04:50:38 AM]

Great review guys, as usual on this page.
The Value of these devices seems really awesome! I'm in the market to get me a four drive RAID5 NAS and I've been looking at the 410j, the 410 (no j) and the Qnap competition (which is the most expensive).

I'm still stuggling if I want/need the extra performance of the other solutions over the DS410j
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 04/12/10 10:49:28 AM]

[1-2]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment