Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Intel Ivy Bridge: Microarchitecture Details from IDF 2011

Started by: vid_ghost | Date 09/14/11 02:54:27 PM
Comments: 10 | Last Comment:  04/18/12 02:10:08 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-7]

These new CPUs are kinda of a waste of time for people with sandy bridge already on the desktop but they will rock as a new mobile cpu on laptops

The next gen 22nm CPUs from intel will be the thing to look forward too.

At the moment bulldozer is the more interesting product that brings the most change and isn't just a chrink with some tweaking, here's hoping it's competitive
1 0 [Posted by: vid_ghost  | Date: 09/14/11 02:54:27 PM]
- collapse thread

Completely agree with your assessment. They will be good upgrades for people still holding off on older CPUs like Q6600 or Q9550, esp. if IVB can clock to 5.5ghz+.

Personally, I am going to wait for Haswell to get 6-8 cores and real major architectural improvements. For now there is no way I am going to ditch my SB CPU and spend another $200-300 just to get a 15-20% performance increase.

But this CPU will do wonders for Intel's Ultrabook initiative and should allow most average laptops to last 6-7 hours.
2 0 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 09/15/11 09:05:32 AM]

You are right from a logical point of view, but there is also e-dick point of view u see . Lots of guys who rushed and bought SB are 2nd type of guys. So another guy like me, with IB in hand, will definitely hurt some feelings ; ). cheers.
1 0 [Posted by: bigoldbrute  | Date: 09/15/11 11:48:47 AM]

Bulldozer is designed from the ground as a server multi core, multi socket CPU behemoth. Thanks to the server margins they can price it relativly cheap for the die size.

1 0 [Posted by: Zool  | Date: 09/14/11 03:31:20 PM]

Wish AMD could have access to the technology that Intel has.
Of course they are leaders at the moment. But you know it just looks not so fair.
They say Intel has to keep AMD in x86 era so they can compete & etc...maybe, you know!... But It IS a monopoly again.
Tools are important for every job.
AMD has to wait for TSMC or GF, each of which cannot compete intel in this battle of nano thing right now.
3 0 [Posted by: Pouria  | Date: 09/14/11 04:10:24 PM]

You just wait Intel, your cheap little micro nano architecture will be beat by Fusion!!!!
1 0 [Posted by: twainamd  | Date: 09/15/11 09:34:50 AM]

It should reduce heat dissipation... so the heat won't dissipate as well as it used to?
0 0 [Posted by: derp  | Date: 09/19/11 09:36:26 AM]

The thing is the smaller the transistors are, the hotter they get. Buyers beware.
0 1 [Posted by: TAViX  | Date: 10/02/11 03:23:37 AM]

It seems 1/3 of the CPU is doing nothing. I run adding card for video and you would thing Intel could use the 33% for something other then graphics sinde they are able to so much other then graphics. You would thing I company as large as Intel could make that 33% do some work when its not being used for graphics like physics or something like that. It is just a waist and how much more powerfull could their PCU's be with it doing some work
0 0 [Posted by: LeadSled  | Date: 10/12/11 12:49:16 AM]

[1-7]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment