Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
LGA 2011 and Sandy Bridge-E News from IDF 2011

Started by: Filiprino | Date 09/16/11 05:04:15 AM
Comments: 14 | Last Comment:  04/23/12 03:19:19 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-8]

Awesomeness will arise when EVGA launches its new Classified motherboard. Two 8-core CPUs giving a total of 16 cores with 32 threads. Video encoding dream.
Add to that two radeon 7990 and you are set.
0 1 [Posted by: Filiprino  | Date: 09/16/11 05:04:15 AM]
- collapse thread

i think an intel server mobobourd + xenon or AMD server mobobourd would cost the same and be even better for vidio encoding.
0 0 [Posted by: massau  | Date: 09/16/11 07:28:10 AM]

Anyone else see the problem with these board PCIe layouts?

Here it is: They've all left out the PCIe x1 slot above the top x16 slot. So now instead of being able to place our add-in Creative or Asus sound card there we're forced to cram it underneath one of our video cards in SLI, or else place both video cards next to each other with the same result... no airflow to the fans.

If they're going to expect us to use on-board sound, they better start doing better than those crappy Realtek chips they're putting on the motherboards.

One of these systems is likely to cost upwards of $2000 (~$589 CPU average, ~$300-400 motherboard average, ~$600-800 for upper range SLI video cards, ~$200 850-1000W power supply, ~$300 for 8 sticks of RAM.

And then they go and expect us to use onboard sound from a worthless Realtek chip that I wouldn't even use in a budget system...

And it doesn't even have to be a soundcard there. Maybe you want a better Intel NIC vs the Marvell or Realtek that's on the board. You have nowhere to put that either. And forget about a PCIe x4 SATA RAID controller or OCZ RevoDrive fitting in somewhere.

Here's a perfect setup:

x1 (sound card)
x16 (video card #1)
empty
x16 (empty in 2-way SLI for airflow)
x4 (SATA controller or other add-in card)
x16 (video card #2)
empty

How hard would that be to accomplish? Anyone else agree with me?
3 1 [Posted by: Astral Abyss  | Date: 09/16/11 08:05:12 AM]
- collapse thread

I totally agree with you. They seem to forget expandability.
0 1 [Posted by: Filiprino  | Date: 09/16/11 08:52:17 AM]

There's not enough room because of the DIMM slots above the CPU socket.

They'd have to actually move the 16x slot down a notch, and I'm sure that they re-use parts of older PCB layouts that all have the first 16x slot where it is now.

I agree it's annoying, but it makes some sense to me.
1 2 [Posted by: hansmuff  | Date: 09/16/11 12:32:05 PM]

I see what you're getting at, but the location of the slots on the motherboard isn't flexible. They have to align with the slots in the back of the case. That being said, the arrangement is totally up to the mobo maker. It's just a matter of poor judgement and not understanding what people who buy these motherboards actually use them for, or at the very least, giving us options.

It's all very rigid and made worse by the fact that only certain x16 slots work at full capacity when running multiple cards and the SLI connectors they give you don't usually allow you to spread the video cards apart very far. Seems backwards that these boards are loaded with options, but when it comes down to it, you're extremely limited in how you place your components.

I also think Gigabyte needs to get rid of that legacy PCI slot. It's just another clue that they don't really have one.
1 2 [Posted by: Astral Abyss  | Date: 09/16/11 02:24:46 PM]

I will use that legacy PCI for my X-Fi Elite Pro! Creative never improved that one (external rack with superb headphone out).
0 0 [Posted by: Patrick  | Date: 09/17/11 01:59:18 AM]

So, AMD Bulldozer processors won’t be enjoying their leadership for long: they should soon face a very serious opponent.

Whoa Xbit. All these leaked benches from the past few weeks haven't shown BD to be a leader in anything yet. Something you should be telling us hmmmm? What do you know?
1 0 [Posted by: adadk  | Date: 09/17/11 04:37:31 AM]
- collapse thread

I think they just dislike AMD (or are Intel fanbois), from the tone of many Xbit articles.
2 3 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 09/17/11 11:37:01 PM]

http://www.xbitlabs.com/p...lga-2011-idf/photo-13.jpg

I want to have my PC on pedestal like that. No reason to hide behind steel. I wish someone sold a transparent casing. LOL

How about the fate of Thermal Archon in the transition to LGA2011?
0 0 [Posted by: TeemuMilto  | Date: 09/17/11 05:11:21 AM]
- collapse thread

0 0 [Posted by: adadk  | Date: 09/17/11 09:04:19 AM]

It'll be a nice upgrade for me in mid 2012 when the platform has matured. (I never buy brand new stuff, don't want to be guinea pig for new HW testing).
0 0 [Posted by: Joe Public  | Date: 09/17/11 10:12:25 AM]

So Sandy Bridge-E is essentially ~12%-15% faster than SB depending on the benchmark.
1 3 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 09/17/11 11:34:17 PM]

I was ready to go with SBe but I guess I have to sit on my core 2 duo for a few more months.
Reason being that Sbe is capable of PCIe 3.0 in bandwidth, yet, board makers persist in thinking the market is like a giant cash cow.
Indeed PCIe3.0 may not use full bandwidth just like it is hard for PCIe 2.0 to achieve it, yet, it would have been nice to be ready when Nvidia and potentially ATI pull their 22 nm GPU sometime 2012~2013.
Bye SBe until X79 makes it work for me with PCIe 3.0 ready....
0 0 [Posted by: seb  | Date: 10/01/11 05:58:08 PM]

[1-8]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment