Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Nexus VCT-9000 or How Not to Make Coolers

Started by: jonup | Date 06/11/10 06:58:23 AM
Comments: 2 | Last Comment:  06/26/10 02:22:08 PM

[1-2]

In like the results, I do like many of the design features of the HS. I also thought that the aluminum inserts between the heatpipes on HDT type coolers were counterproductive. Granted Nexus did not do the best execution. The pipe should have been pressed flatter to provide for a larger contact surface. The benefit of this design over the original/classic HDT implementation is that that all five heatpipes can have a full contact with the CPU heat spreader. In the classic design (with inserts between the pipes) the two most outer pipes were not completely pressed against the CPU. It is worse with Intel CPU since the spreader is smaller.
Second, like the idea of the angled orientation of the fan, but... Nexus did a terrible job with that as well as the shape of the fins. First they should have placed the fan on the flat side to the fin array and bent the heatpipes another 25 odd degrees. That would improve the airflow to the heatsink and aid cool the mofset HS on the motherboard. Also the “V” shaped dent behind the fan motor is probably a good idea to save some wait without affecting the cooling efficiency. Last but not least the fins on top should be deeper/wider than the once on the bottom. This way the air going through the bottom fins will not warm up to much before it hits the mofset. And to allow for a proper heat distribution over the larger surface of the upper plates the heatpipes should pierce the fin array through the middle. This can be done by having the heatpipes bent at a greater angle than the angle of the fin array. The heatpipes would pierce the fins on an angle and as a side effect the contact surface between the pipes and the fins will increase.
BTW, why did you not test the fan noise? I want to know more about the "World's quietest fan" and what do you make of it.
Cheers!
0 0 [Posted by: jonup  | Date: 06/11/10 06:58:23 AM]

They don’t have any aesthetical value either, because you will only be able to enjoy their fine lines only if you stick your head deep into the system case. And in this position you will look pretty suspicious not only to your loved ones but also to your pets.

This had me rolling and is a great summary of the heatsink. Some designs are better thought of than produced and sold.
0 0 [Posted by: JonMCC33  | Date: 06/26/10 02:22:08 PM]

[1-2]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment