Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Another Step Forward: Antec KUHLER H2O 920 Liquid Cooling System

Started by: beenthere | Date 11/22/11 07:51:03 PM
Comments: 28 | Last Comment:  12/19/12 09:06:04 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-11]

So far closed loop coolers are still a poor value, inefficient and a waste for most PC users.

For about 1/2 the price you can buy a quality HSF that will keep the CPU within a couple degrees C of the best CLC and a HSF never leaks water and damages hundreds of dollars in PC hardware. CLCs are really for people who don't technically know any better.
2 3 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 11/22/11 07:51:03 PM]

is the second page

"The base is pretty well finished, even though it is not polished to mirror-chine."

should be

"The base is pretty well finished, even though it is not polished to mirror-shine."
0 0 [Posted by: madooo12  | Date: 11/23/11 02:52:28 AM]

I have worked with the top closed loop coolers, (the H100 as well) and they just can't seem to get to the cooling of the top air coolers. if you were to include the Thermalright Silver Arrow, or the Noctua DH-14, they would be a couple degrees lower and much quieter doing it. Unless you just like the looks or concept of water cooling, it's a tough sell
1 0 [Posted by: Tesla1776  | Date: 11/23/11 07:02:00 AM]
- collapse thread

Exactly. Real water-cooling, (not CLCs) are a little better but mostly a hobby as pricing starts around $200 for a decent system and this is really a horrible value compared to a good quality HSF @ ~$70 USD.

Even though CLC performance is poor, what's worse is when any H2O system leaks and destroys hundreds of dollars in PC hardware. There really isn't much logic to using H2O cooling in a PC, IME.

Unfortunately with all the hype on CLCs most people won't realize they wasted their money until they see they can't OC any higher with a CLC and it makes more noise than a quality HSF. But just like with fancy PSU boxes and pretty PSU bags, people will buy CLCs for the bling factor instead of educating themselves technically.
1 3 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 11/23/11 07:58:16 AM]

Can you drop the leaking part?! If you do not what you are doing, it doesn't mean everyone else is like you. Leaking is the least of the problems of CLC. How many CLC kits did you have that leaded on you? Let me guess: zip! You read it somewhere and now you cannot stop repeating it. STFU and stop talking out of your ass!
On topic:
Given the delta between the CPU and the coolant, do you think that the water pump or the hose diameter would have had larger effect on the performance than the insane fan speed?
0 0 [Posted by: jonup  | Date: 11/23/11 02:11:50 PM]

Being a fanbois doesn't change reality. Go to the Corsair H2O forum and tell those folks who have destroyed their PCs with leaks, that CLCs don't leak. Ask Corsair how many thousands of H50 and up CLCs they've had to replace for leaks. Ask Antec the same thing as they make Corsair's CLCs. The answers are an eye-opener.

Denial doesn't change reality. Objective test data shows that CLCs simply are a thermally poor PC cooling system in addition to being a poor financial value.

I always tell people to buy what makes them happy. If you like CLCs then use them. More technically astute people pass on CLCs because they are a poor choice for PC cooling in addition to being a real hardware liability.
0 1 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 11/23/11 02:46:24 PM]

How am I a fanboy? I don't own a CLC and I do not plan to own one until something radically change in their performance. As I said, leaks are not what is stopping me from buying one. I also said that we got your point about the leaks. Can you stop repeating it? As someone said bellow dry run the CLC before you put it in. If it doesn't leak, then it is only the installer's stupid ass fault if a leak occurs thereafter. And just to reiterate, if you do not know what you are doing, don't assume the same for the rest of us. Please!
0 0 [Posted by: jonup  | Date: 11/24/11 09:50:00 AM]

show the post
0 3 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 11/23/11 08:43:13 AM]

I would redesign waterblock to make it less resistive and with more turbulent flow ie. less dense fins with some cuttings, this would help in silent mode with lower water flow.
And for ultimate results radiator of double size (2 or 4 fans) is needed - there are lots of them in the market and Xbit could do test with one of them, then it would be performance and acoustic winner.
0 0 [Posted by: Greg_OR  | Date: 11/23/11 09:04:35 AM]

show the post
0 3 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 11/23/11 12:05:53 PM]
- collapse thread

Do we really need to hear it three times? The only moron here is you - we got it the first time!
0 0 [Posted by: jonup  | Date: 11/23/11 02:17:47 PM]

Some people are slow learners... Look in the mirror.
0 2 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 11/23/11 02:40:46 PM]

I don't have to go through the effort. I just read your comments!
0 0 [Posted by: jonup  | Date: 11/24/11 09:35:46 AM]

I bought H50 year ago. I have no choice cause the casing wont Fit Noctua HSF.

How did it came up those people has leaking problem did they bent the hose to much? or they want to refill the Tank which is not Refillable. The hose is hard to pull off even with pliers
0 0 [Posted by: xentar  | Date: 11/23/11 03:37:06 PM]
- collapse thread

You don't need to remove the hose to have leaks - and that is the very issue. You never know when it will leak but you know for sure when it does it's likely to cause hundreds of dollars in PC hardware damage and for what?

There are plenty of quality HSFs that will fit in most PC cases. Noctua is only one of many good HSFs. You can have everything from a CM Hyper 212+ to a Xigmatek 128264 single fan HSF and many more that will out-perform H2O coolers and never cause hardware damage from leaks.

http://www.frostytech.com...heatsinks.cfm#AMDHEATSINK
0 1 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 11/23/11 07:36:50 PM]

I tested mine before i Pluging the H50 to my Processor so far NO leaks Found. I saw this new H20 i dont like the hose its kind a Rubber easy to expand in an Hot environment.
0 0 [Posted by: xentar  | Date: 11/23/11 09:12:12 PM]

I just don't understand how this cooling system got a good review with the Thermalright HR-02 Macho completely destroyed it in terms of both performance, noise, and price. It took two 1600rpm fans with a combined noise of ~52dba to match the performance of the air cooler with a single 1300rpm fan and a noise level of ~38dba. The Thermalright HR-02 Macho is also $40, versus the Antec Kuhler H2O 920 at $95. It gets an award at the end, despite the reviewer saying in the conclusion "it will hardly be able to compete successfully against air-coolers."
0 0 [Posted by: Alereon  | Date: 11/23/11 10:46:36 PM]

show the post
0 3 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 11/24/11 01:06:13 PM]

I completely disagree with pretty much all the comments posted so far.

1. Not every reviewer says only nice things, just because manufacturer supplies free hardware. In fact read FSP Aurum review here, it's hardly sugar-coating.

2. Just because someone is interested in CLC, doesn't mean he's technically challenged. In fact these coolers have major advantage some folks fail to consider: compactness. PURELY on a price/delta or price/dB basis those coolers may perform worse than high-end AC, but it doesn't mean jack, when that high-end AC can't fit in your case. I'm building SFF gaming PC, and suggestions of Hyper 212+ or Xigmatek Aegir are, no offense, pretty laughable. Those coolers are 159 mm tall, which is FAR too much for most SFF cases. For mine, Ninja Mini @110 cm fits JUST barely. Not to mention access to push-pins on video card's side is major PITA, and here, when pins are not covered in multiple layers of fins, installation becomes a breeze.

Just because it's not for you, doesn't mean it's not for anybody, folks.
1 0 [Posted by: rrr  | Date: 11/25/11 05:53:06 AM]
- collapse thread

Actually if people are technically literate on the subject of PC cooling they would never use CLCs because they are thermally inefficient, a poor value, typically noisy and when they leak water they can damage hundreds of dollars of PC hardware.

There are many good HSFs to choose from that fit in any case and cost far less and work just fine with no water leak liability. There really is no upside to CLCs.

As I have always told people, buy what makes you happy. If you like CLCs then buy them. It's your dime and your hardware that will be damaged not mine.

Those who have a proper technical understanding of PC cooling would not touch a CLC with a ten foot pole but if that's what makes you happy, then that's what you should buy.
0 1 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 11/25/11 12:58:29 PM]

Go ahead and name a few AC systems with maximum height of 110-115 cm which perform better than this Antec or Corsair Hydro series. I dare you. You said yourself that they fit in ANY case. Well, my case has this restriction, so you have a bit of curveball to deal with. So no Archon, no Silver Arrow, no Mugen 2, no Megahalems, no True Spirit/Venomous X - wonder, what you'll come up with. Maybe you discovered a shrink ray, so they will magically fit - please share your genius with world then, you'll make loads of money from that idea alone, I'm sure. Or maybe you'll ignore the facts and continue throwing insults left and right.

YOU are in denial about SSDs, you're also in denial about this. At this point, just write the opposite of what you wanted to write, and you'll probably be right.
0 0 [Posted by: rrr  | Date: 11/26/11 04:17:33 AM]

Nope not in denial at all about CLCs. As I said if they are what make you happy buy them.

The facts don't change however as CLCs are thermally inefficient, a poor financial value, noisy and when they leak they can destroy hundreds of dollars of PC hardware.

If you chose to use a PC case that doesn't accommodate a quality current HSF that is purely your choice just as using a CLC is.

Objective, scientific testing confirms that CLCs are inefficient. Pricing proves they are a poor value. Water leaks prove they can damage PC hardware. THAT is reality. If you can't deal with reality, that's your problem, not mine.

Denial is not going to change reality. It never has.
0 1 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 11/26/11 01:22:03 PM]

And I'm about to write something that will blow your mind:

That choice of case that cannot accomodate huge AC systems may very well be conscious and educated. Yes, some people actually want SFF PCs.

Take some time to let that sink in. I have a feeling it might be a while though. Until then, we don't have much to talk about.
0 0 [Posted by: rrr  | Date: 11/27/11 12:48:55 AM]

Whatever makes you happy is what you should do even if technically illogical. People do this all the time. No one is forcing you to use good judgment.
0 1 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 11/27/11 01:15:15 PM]

Your mind is blown, I can tell. But don't worry, everyone has their limits. I, for one, don't get quantum physics. So it's all fine and well that you don't understand such a simple thing...

Oh, wait, I don't go around quantum physics board, teaching everyone how quantum physics work...
0 0 [Posted by: rrr  | Date: 11/29/11 03:26:01 AM]

Actually I went for the Antec 620 instead, as it is much cheaper.

Even cheaper than all of the big aircoolers. And according to tests it has virtually identical performance to the 920.

I already had several low-noise fans laying around so replacing the original fan and to run push-pull using intake was a nobrainer. I use a GT1450 as push and a Noctua P12 as pull, and I run the pump on stable 12V, which reduces the pumpnoise much.

It was very easy to install and temps are totally ok running prime @ 4.8GHz(i7 2600K), no core over 78C after an hour with 25C ambient in the room in an R3-case. Hyperthreading on. I guess I could tweak down the temps by remounting the block and using different cooling paste, or using extra fan frames tunneling air to the radiator, but I've only mounted it once using the pre applied paste and the results are good enough for me not to bother
0 0 [Posted by: xeizo  | Date: 11/26/11 05:56:02 PM]
- collapse thread

53'c delta? was thinking of changing to this from a ven x with 1 fan @800 rpm but then i only get to 42'c delta after 20 runs of ibt high. though i must say that this works very well on my gpu (30'c delta in kombustor). not too pretty to look at though being strapped on with zip ties
0 0 [Posted by: gperete  | Date: 01/15/12 06:25:11 PM]

I have just installed a 920 cooler and was very confused with Antec's instructions. There was an 'O' ring left over which was not explained where it goes. Color inserts were supposed to be blue but were black which did not matter. I had a very hard job screwing the pump on. I hope it was worth installing this device. Thank you the opportunity to comment. Barrie J. Beckman
0 0 [Posted by: dajaad27  | Date: 12/19/12 09:06:04 AM]

[1-11]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment