Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Black Friday 2011: One-Day Price-Drops Set Future Trends

Started by: beenthere | Date 11/24/11 09:41:43 PM
Comments: 12 | Last Comment:  03/05/12 10:50:28 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-5]

show the post
2 5 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 11/24/11 09:41:43 PM]
- collapse thread

Actually, currently HDD prices are pretty insane due to floods in Taiwan and SSDs have a chance to shine like never before.

As for reliability/compatibility issues, I have no idea, what are you talking about. Most SSDs are SATA2/SATA3, and pretty much all current mobos have those ports. Also, TRIM may not be supported by Windows Vista/XP, but enthusiasts buy Windows 7 anyway.

Furthermore, people are quick to jump on SSD-bashing bandwagon because of recent OCZ/Intel's firmware problems. Well, same people conveniently forget Seagate's firmware fiasco in 7200.11 series - pretty much the same thing.

As for data loss, if you really care about your data, you should have backups in place anyway, so this kind of argument is non-starter.
3 0 [Posted by: rrr  | Date: 11/25/11 06:03:31 AM]

rrr, do yourself a favor and don't pay attention to beenthere. The guy talks out of his ass and has no first-hand experience.
Unlike beenthere, I have "donethat". I've been "blessed" and have been using SSDs for a few years now. Currently I own five including my first SSD - Intel G1. All of them have run flawlessly, except 2 BSOD on the famous SF-2281 in three months of usage; and then they fixed the firmware. While the first time it was scary, there was no data loss - all my work was autosaved. The only thing I had to do is disconnect the power. While slightly inconvenient, definitively nothing to write home about.
That said, you get BSOD with Windows once every 1-3 months anyways. Following beenthere's logic, we should never use Windows. Getting BSOD completely negates the advantages of using the OS.
1 3 [Posted by: jonup  | Date: 11/25/11 06:37:10 AM]

Denial doesn't change reality people. Making it personal does not validate your baseless beliefs but it does confirm your social and technical ignorance.

Tom's Hardware, Anandtech and many others have confirmed the SSD issues with Intel, Crucial, OCZ, Corsair, Samasung and other brands of SSDs.

While some SSD issues have been resolved, there are many more that have not been and those who use these SSDs everyday have confirmed the nightmares.

Yes we all know that all versions of Windoze is a POS full of bad code that will cause BSODs and loss of data but so will many SSDs due to defects in the firmware. OCZ is on firmware version 15 the last time I checked...

Some folks in denial think because they haven't had an issue, that SSDs are all fine unlike those folks who have had nightmares with the defects in SSDs who know for a fact the SSDs are currently unreliable and have compatibility issues. Hopefully some day SSDs will be reliable for all not just a few.

Anandtech's recent review of the OCZ Octane series sums it up best: WAIT and let other people experience the nighmares and lost data and BSOD and RMAs until the SSD vendors get their act together.

http://www.anandtech.com/...e-ocz-octane-review-512gb

Hating the messenger, doesn't change reality.
1 3 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 11/25/11 12:49:58 PM]

I'm not going to waste my time reading your rant. I stopped at Anandtech. Because Anand has been using SSD in his primary system since late 2008 and he threw in bunch of SSDs in their latest server.
No one is ignoring the problems with SSDs - they exist. However, you are blowing them out of proportion, hang to them, and ignore any of their benefits. Once the final/stable firmware is released, most SSDs are more reliable than just about any HDD. I've had a few HDDs die on me in less time than I've had my SSDs for. Remember: firmware can be fixed, scratched/damaged platters can't. If reliability is what you are after, get an SSD with mature firmware and sacrifice a little bit of performance. Or even better STFU!
1 1 [Posted by: jonup  | Date: 11/26/11 05:45:21 AM]

As Anandtech stated in his recent OCZ Octane review linked above: WAIT and allow the fools to suffer thru the BSODs, lost data, RAM'd drives, etc. before considering the OCZ Octane or other SSDs because they are immature tech that still has issues. If and when the issues are resolved, then you should consider an SSD.

Those who do not have problems think SSDs are great. Those who have nightmares know that SSDs have compatibility and reliability issues that prevent them from being a prudent choice at this time.

Just because you didn't have issues does not mean all the other folks who have had issues should suffer thru defective SSDs. This is why Anand says WAIT, don't buy an SSD now.

Neither hating the messenger nor DENIAL have ever changed reality. If you can't make a proper post without making it personal, you should not post at all. You demonstrate your technical and social ignorance when you can't be objective and civil.
0 1 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 11/26/11 01:13:16 PM]

BSOD every 1-3 months? Do you have some weird setup or what? Once I get a stable/current set of drivers on a machine, I never see a BSOD. I have many servers that have never experienced a BSOD in years of operation (one recently retired box went into service in 2001--no BSOD, ever).
0 0 [Posted by: bluvg  | Date: 11/27/11 08:18:47 PM]

show the post
0 3 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 11/25/11 12:24:06 PM]

I'm going to buy OCZ Ibis 160 Gb for 450 euros, because that is the fastest harddrive, and I'm going to install Win 7 and games on it. I hope it was cheaper, because I'm paying for it by student loans.
0 0 [Posted by: TeemuMilto  | Date: 11/27/11 09:32:44 AM]

I'm not seeing the OCZ 120G SSD at Newegg for $119.99. I see it for $174.99. Maybe the sale is over?

I do see that Edge is selling the 120GB SSD at $159 after rebate. Same Sandforce controller, I think.

http://www.edgetechcorp.c...ro-solid-state-drive.aspx
0 0 [Posted by: BillyDee  | Date: 11/28/11 01:09:48 PM]
- collapse thread

show the post
0 3 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 11/28/11 11:42:59 PM]

If there's anyone left standing after the SSD opinion flamewar, maybe one of you has some specific advice. I might spend $120-$150 or even more to replace my boot drive. BUT I am staying with Windows XP for another year (then I'll move to Win 8). I know XP doesn't support TRIM natively, but do any of the major vendors other than IBM provide a non-burdensome way around this?
0 0 [Posted by: Papoulka  | Date: 11/29/11 11:20:16 AM]

[1-5]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment