Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Two Pounds of Pure Efficiency: Zalman CNPS12X Super Cooler Review

Started by: 3Dkiller | Date 12/05/11 04:42:28 PM
Comments: 18 | Last Comment:  09/20/14 06:56:38 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-9]

http://www.xbitlabs.com/a...ks-ph-tc14pe_5.html#sect0

how about the Phantek its score's a bit better so how can the zalman be the best air cooler available today ?.
1 2 [Posted by: 3Dkiller  | Date: 12/05/11 04:42:28 PM]
- collapse thread

imho Zalman has 3 advantage and 2 losses against Phantek: More compact and Save Space, More stylish, and of course Quieter than Phantek. Phantek has advantage from lower price and lower Idle Temp. But I think 1-2°C at idle temp not enough to place it in the top.
3 2 [Posted by: jpunk  | Date: 12/05/11 08:50:10 PM]

It's not like you're gonna fit Zalman in HTPC case though and you can equip Phantek with some TY-140s for price difference. So IMO Phantek is better overall, unless you care for cooler's looks.
1 1 [Posted by: rrr  | Date: 12/06/11 04:17:51 AM]

I think (base on review), I won't even need another Fan. And of course if it for HTPC I just put Ninja or another Pasif Cooler. Phantek + TY-140s for HTPC??? hmmm....
1 1 [Posted by: jpunk  | Date: 12/06/11 08:34:24 PM]

1. It's not like you can't just take fans off from pretty much any cooler, so making distinction for Ninja is odd.

2. Fully passive CPU cooling is not very good idea, unless you undervolt and downclock it. And still, putting even one fan @500 rpm will give you much better temps, hardly making any difference noise wise, if bearing is decent.

3. If you mean standard Ninja, it won't fit in many HTPC cases either, just like Zalman and Phantek. Those coolers are not made for small cases - if you want such, you buy Ninja Mini or Big Shuriken or much hated closed-loop liquid coolers.
0 0 [Posted by: rrr  | Date: 12/07/11 04:45:29 AM]

Zalman is 71.4 degrees at 1150 rpm (three fans) and 39 dB.

Phantek is 72.8 degrees at 1210 rpm (one fans) and 47.2 dB.

Thermalright Archon is 72.4 degrees at 1280 rmp (two fans) and 36.9 dB (one fan).

All three factors are better with Zalman!
2 1 [Posted by: TeemuMilto  | Date: 12/06/11 01:38:32 AM]

Thanks for another really thorough and useful cooler review. These are always a pleasure to read.

However, like the Phanteks you recently reviewed, this cooler has a major disadvantage, which I think deserves more emphasis. The fans are fixed-speed, not PWM. This simply throws away all the advantages of motherboard thermal sensing and automatic speed / noise optimization.

This fact alone would prevent me from even considering the unit. Sure there are workarounds but nothing I'd bother with. The Archon with a TY-140 PWM fan is, in the bigger picture, a much better choice.
_
2 0 [Posted by: Papoulka  | Date: 12/05/11 08:29:27 PM]

I think there's a problem with you test..

french site found that Zalman is bad against Silver arrow (= archon)
http://www.comptoir-hardw...es/cnps12x_perfintel6.png

I know you make very serious review but i doubt of the Zamlan results
http://www.comptoir-hardw...lman-cnps12x.html?start=2

0 0 [Posted by: Boot  | Date: 12/05/11 08:42:54 PM]
- collapse thread

Maybe you're right, but we won't have absolute winner for Heatsink performance. All of reviewer has different testbed method, and also "too much" factor include. Even a little different paste applying method can make the result quiet different. For example I never see Xbit's former champion Archon become the winner elsewhere.
0 0 [Posted by: jpunk  | Date: 12/05/11 08:58:08 PM]

With all the variables of testing HSFs in the PC case, it's impossible to know what HSF will work best for any other application other than the specific test set-up. Most any of the top HSFs will serve people well.

The only means to know how these HSFs would perform in your specific PC case with your hadrware configuration is to actually test all of the top HSFs in your PC case, which is impractical unless you have too much money and time to check all possibilites.

As we see in every forum people have a favorite model HSF that they like or believe is the "best". The term "best" can mean different things to different people. Just pick the one that makes you happy and enjoy it.

If you want to know how well the popular HSFs perform based on true thermal efficiency, the link below will show you. See the relevent Intel or AMD data as HSF efficiency also varies with the area of the heat spreader and thus CPU brand.

http://www.frostytech.com...atsinks.cfm#INTELHEATSINK
1 2 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 12/05/11 09:56:25 PM]
- collapse thread

show the post
0 3 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 12/07/11 06:53:25 AM]

Oh snap!

I compared the articles, and Zalman CNPS12X is cooler, quiter and easier to install with three original fans than even the Phanteks with two Thermalright Archon fans. Change of plans, gentlemen! I'm getting this!
3 0 [Posted by: TeemuMilto  | Date: 12/06/11 01:30:23 AM]

Gorgeuos and amazing!!!!!
1 0 [Posted by: holmanextremo  | Date: 12/08/11 03:23:56 PM]

Finally a good review. Only thing is, where the hell can I buy the Zalman CNPS12X ??? Could not find one at Tigerdirect, NCIX, and Canada Computers, Why???
0 0 [Posted by: athleos  | Date: 12/09/11 08:55:42 PM]
- collapse thread

Small vendors don't sell every new product on the market, and their prices are higher. By small I mean that they are just one vendor, Amazon lists the vendors.

At least Amazon is selling that for 70 £.
0 0 [Posted by: TeemuMilto  | Date: 12/10/11 10:10:17 AM]

Thanks for the review.
I have some questions regarding the noise. Why does the dbA go up so significantly when comparing the i7@4.3 GHz with the maxed overclock one? It says in the chart the fan would spin with the same RPM. Also, how would you compare the noise output to the Noctua NH-D14? When comparing two youtube clips it appears as if the Zalman has a higher pitched noise, making it less comfortable, although I'm not sure how much you would notice it when it's in the case.
0 0 [Posted by: cleaner  | Date: 12/23/11 06:46:09 PM]

good review. Can you please compare it with Noctua D14 and the Silver Arrow with three fan configuration to be a fair competition.
0 0 [Posted by: aravindn20  | Date: 12/24/11 06:14:42 AM]

[1-9]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment