Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Mini-ITX from Intel: Intel DH57JG LGA1156 Mainboard Review

Started by: jdeb | Date 08/13/10 07:50:52 PM
Comments: 6 | Last Comment:  08/29/10 06:16:53 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-5]

This is what I have been looking for in a file server. Thanks for the case insight as well, the Lian Li will fit the bill. Impressive stock performance. I am unclear on the cpu cooler though.. A after market cpu cooling solution will not offer better results?
0 0 [Posted by: jdeb  | Date: 08/13/10 07:50:52 PM]

I'd recommend testing mini-itx boards without discrete graphics, as that's the normal configuration; heavy gaming is not the typical mini-itx use. You should get <30W idle power consumption with this board, even around 20W with an efficient PSU. Power consumption tends to be a major advantage of Intel boards.
0 0 [Posted by: CSMR  | Date: 08/14/10 03:54:11 AM]

I think the fan only running @ ~300 rpm with high CPU temps is a little underplayed (even apologetic) in this review, I would not touch this overpriced/under featured itx board in a fit when compared to the Zotac or even better the world beating GA H55N-USB3 m-itx board which I am hoping X-bit will review in the near future

0 0 [Posted by: alpha0ne  | Date: 08/18/10 08:04:38 PM]
- collapse thread

Gigabyte's board review will be done very soon
0 0 [Posted by: Gavric  | Date: 08/19/10 06:09:05 PM]

It's nice that it had the H57 for raid, but I only saw 4 sata connectors for the 4 hot swap drives in the Chenbro case... where does the DVD drive plug into?
0 0 [Posted by: dane0198  | Date: 08/19/10 06:59:03 PM]

I have spent a while looking for a reasonably cost effective NAS system as I have 4 x 1.5TB drives just waiting to be set up. I have looked at pre built appliances such as those from QNAP, but even to get simple things such as WOL means looking at something like the the QNAP TS-439 Pro is around £600.

So, I have looked to see if I could build something similar for less money and this MB seems to go some way to achieve that. If only there was a similar board that came with dual Gb Ethernet ports as I have read that the limiting factor is the Ethernet connection.

The Chenbro case seems perfect although it only has a 120W PSU - I wonder is this will be man enough to drive an i2 and 4 drives. There is a slightly bigger case with a 180W, but the price rises and it also seems to be scarce. I echo the comment posted by CSMR and would like to see these board test using the graphics on board (utilising Clarkdale processors?) as I think most would be utilised in this configuration, whether it be as specific appliances such as NAS, or simple HTPC front ends.

In any case, I wonder the benefit of running the on-board RAID in an OS such as Windows 2008 against a purpose build file storage OS, such as FreeNAS (assuming this board would be supported) or UnRAID? Help or tests showing comparisons of all these types of systems would be interesting

0 0 [Posted by: swinster  | Date: 08/29/10 06:16:53 PM]

[1-5]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment