Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Desktop Ivy Bridge. Intel Core i7-3770K and Core i5-3570K Processors Review

Started by: rrr | Date 04/23/12 09:59:12 AM
Comments: 60 | Last Comment:  04/10/14 07:17:44 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-20]

OC is a bit of shame on these ones...
4 1 [Posted by: rrr  | Date: 04/23/12 09:59:12 AM]

Faster and consume less power than sandy bridge. Thats all what matters for 99% of consumers.

Also, the improved IGP is going to be good for an average notebook users
5 2 [Posted by: maroon1  | Date: 04/23/12 10:09:43 AM]

Well, I'm disappointed. It's overclocking potential is even WORSE than Sandy Bridge. I was anticipating at least 200 MHz higher as I want a faster CPU for emulation.
4 3 [Posted by: DirectXtreme  | Date: 04/23/12 01:13:54 PM]
- collapse thread

especially it was a die shrink which means it should overclock better
3 2 [Posted by: madooo12  | Date: 04/24/12 04:31:15 AM]

Don't forget it is a new die shrink. It'll take about a few months until the process matures, in which case IB's overclocking will increase substantially. However, overclocking aside, IB will still be faster than SB.
2 2 [Posted by: rockycrab  | Date: 04/23/12 02:36:40 PM]
- collapse thread

show the post
0 5 [Posted by: DirectXtreme  | Date: 04/23/12 07:20:14 PM]

so why didn't intel improve the process BEFORE selling processors to consumers?
2 2 [Posted by: madooo12  | Date: 04/24/12 04:34:25 AM]

Because it already stomps into the ground a generation ago low end SB's that outperform everything the competition by amd has to offer, even with an amd golden sample overlcock.

In other words, they hit it out of the park with a grand slam last time, on mid range, and destroyed amd. This is just more icing on the cake and more bottles of champagne for the current ongoing party and celebration.

AMD was blocked at the guest entrance years ago, and still isn't dressed properly and looks like crap.

The winners wanted another giant party and they got it.

Go commiserate with your fail sisters in some amd depression and lies vortex, won't you ?
0 0 [Posted by: SiliconDoc  | Date: 06/08/12 04:11:42 PM]

way too early to whine about oc. intel always improves as future steppings and better processes appears.
3 3 [Posted by: beck2448  | Date: 04/23/12 07:59:00 PM]

Your logic is flawed when advising people to go with Sandy Bridge when Ivy Bridge has a built in 10% speed advantage when in stock. Only when you over clock both to the max can you match or beat Ivy Bridge's speed. Is not a practical nor smart recommendation when the price will be almost the same.
3 3 [Posted by: m3kw99  | Date: 04/23/12 08:26:51 PM]

show the post
2 12 [Posted by: tedstoy  | Date: 04/23/12 09:19:17 PM]

show the post
4 14 [Posted by: Azazel  | Date: 04/23/12 09:28:17 PM]
- collapse thread

high end CPUs were made for overclocking, nobody would spen $313 on a CPU not to overclock it

most people who own 2600Ks have overclocked them
5 2 [Posted by: madooo12  | Date: 04/24/12 04:32:39 AM]

In fairness, Ivy Bridge was never intended to be an upgrade for SB users. Ticks have never historically been worthwhile upgrades. If you want good performance increase, it only makes sense to jump by Tocks or start with a Tick and upgrade every other Tick, skipping a tock. In other words, it makes sense to upgrade every major generation. The fact that some enthusiasts expected IVB to be something revolutionary clearly shows 2 things:

1) That they don't really understand Intel's Tick-Tock strategy.

2) They assumed it would have tremendous overclocking potential because of the new 3D transistor @ 22nm node. However, that proved to be an incorrect assumption.

That's all there is to it. If anything, they should be happy that they can spent another 12 months on SB and start saving up for Haswell.

Further, IVB has been designed to maximize power efficiency and reduce current for mobile computing. Intel now sells far more laptop than desktop chips.

For people who want a powerhouse desktop CPU, and upgrade rationally without caring about breaking world records or having epeen, Haswell was always the only reasonable upgrade path from SB. This was pretty much known by most of us when we bought SB 16 months ago.
14 2 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 04/26/12 08:06:35 AM]

Thats Part Intel is Being Questioned. Why it Didn't Perform as Expected.

Well, In my case Not EveryBody bought an Intel or AMD, Overclock their processor.

So far its the First Intel Processor Using 3D. There will be more improvement in the next refinement.
3 3 [Posted by: xentar  | Date: 04/24/12 05:57:55 AM]

How foolish that is Azazel - what we have here, and have with the SB, is a K series top end roadster, with an always on if you like NOX button.

With 2500K for instance, crank the multiplier from 33 to 44, turn off the EIST and related auto down clocking, and boot up at the 6 second quarter mile speed AND STAY THERE FOREVER IF YOU LIKE !

This is a top end winning race vehicle that never needs and engine rebuild and doesn't ever have to take a pit stop, and you don't have to spend dime one, and only ten seconds once in your life to do it with the stock SUPERCHARGED.

There is a fair, accurate, and uncontested description of reality.
0 0 [Posted by: SiliconDoc  | Date: 06/08/12 04:18:18 PM]

Im not in Overclocking Business.
What i see Ivy Bridge is a Good Choice in a Normal and Heavy Operation. Power Consumption is Lower Compare to Sandy Bridge.

Lets see if Intel Will Standout Against AMD upcoming Processor the Trinity.

4 2 [Posted by: xentar  | Date: 04/24/12 05:25:32 AM]

Given the new issues with removing heat from an Ivy Bridge CPU, I'd be VERY interested in an Xbit labs re-review of the best air coolers on IB. I'll be shopping for one soon, and rely on your advice. [Personally, I'm interested only in single-fan coolers, but price isn't so important.]
4 1 [Posted by: Papoulka  | Date: 04/24/12 08:43:08 AM]

I am wondering if there is going to be anyone out there that is willing to pull the ihs off one of the IB samples. They must have used very poor quality ihs samples or didn't use a metal based thermal interface with gold electroplate on the underside of the ihs. If gray goop then it is easy to figure why there are thermal issue.
0 1 [Posted by: nforce4max  | Date: 04/24/12 06:12:21 PM]

Too bad you didn't include the i7-970 in the benchmark. The current price (380€) makes it a very nice upgrade for people who already have a S1366 platform.
0 0 [Posted by: Patrick  | Date: 04/25/12 12:25:59 AM]

What about PCI lanes performance? Will it suffer if I add two or more cards? (16x to 8x to 4x??)

Thanks
0 1 [Posted by: bulava  | Date: 04/25/12 04:13:26 AM]

Sandy Bridge 2500K Vs Sandy Bridge-E 3930K Vs Ivy Bridge 3570K
at Stock Vs 4GHz Vs 4.5GHz in a lot of benchmarks

After Page 7 there are many many charts:

http://www.hwbox.gr/revie...core-i5-3570k-review.html
0 2 [Posted by: GoriLLakoS  | Date: 04/26/12 02:49:17 AM]

show the post
1 12 [Posted by: Azazel  | Date: 04/26/12 09:03:50 PM]

I5-3570K FTW!!!
0 1 [Posted by: TAViX  | Date: 04/27/12 05:03:50 AM]

I love how AMD and Intel articles typically show users with little to no technological experience dribbling their nonsense back and forth to each other and engaging in thumb wars. Why are people driven in blind rage by brand names?
1 0 [Posted by: mmstick  | Date: 04/29/12 05:12:09 AM]

show the post
0 3 [Posted by: bumblebee  | Date: 05/02/12 02:29:02 AM]
- collapse thread

Nice sales pitch, mr Marketer.
2 1 [Posted by: rrr  | Date: 05/02/12 03:11:37 AM]

Marketer? No just an enthusiast who chooses to self educate and understand how CPU's work, in this case how Ivy works. If AMD or anyone other than Intel would take on a challenge I would welcome that and praise their achievements. Obviously today we only have Intel who have dedicated themselves to design and build CPU's that push the boundaries of performance and efficiency. Are Intel's designs perfect? Are they cheap? No, but overall Intel has the guts and the willingness to continue to push themselves and invest in the future.

As far as Ivy Bridge goes the rumors of heat are only going to be dispelled through education. When overclocking Ivy what is primarily required in controlling the heat is understanding why a die shrink creates more heat? Basically it comes down too reducing the voltage for a given amount of frequency that you would normally achieve from a Sandy Bridge equivalent to retain the same stability. Of course one must have a good chip and a motherboard that allows you to make the necessary adjustments worth while. I would also stress that having an efficient cooling system will go a long way keeping you comfortably over 5 Ghz 24/7. No matter what more is said about it Ivy is a step up from Sandy frequency to frequency. To those willing to take that step they will reap the reward. What is it going to cost? Well that is up to you.
0 1 [Posted by: bumblebee  | Date: 05/15/12 12:42:41 PM]

Please note that on page 2 where you claim "...First of all, the Ivy Bridge series doesn’t change the platform. These CPUs are installed into the same LGA1155 socket as their predecessors and are fully compatible with existing mainboards...So again, the new CPUs will work problem-free on any LGA1155 mainboard..."

that is INCORRECT. Based on a chat I had with Intel support, the i7-3770 is not and never will be compatible with the Q67 chipset, for example. It is best to refer your readers to the Intel compatibility page for the ivy bridge processors (e.g. see http://ark.intel.com/prod...-(8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz)) if they're thinking of buying one of these processors.
0 0 [Posted by: cpupu  | Date: 05/07/12 08:15:47 AM]

HD 4000 is an impressive increase.

OC'ing SB or IB stops at or below the sweet spot of 4600-4400 for general run of the mill users, so IB is definitely a fine buy with the vastly improved IGP that trades games in single player mode before multiplayer mode hammers the amd apu, a shocking development.

Intel did a fine job on the HD4000, and for all the usual users, the 4600 spot before voltage or temps start to accelerate is just fine, most won't want run above that, so for two minutes of thrill time who cares, the freak OC'ers can still get their jollies.

IB is a definite large success, and unless you plan on sustaining a gigantic 24/7/365 OC and have a huge discrete video card to go along with that, on the unstable bleeding edge, IB's added heat on high OC is meaningless, PERIOD.

Obviously a sane user would choose IB with zero regrets and zero hesitation - a better chip with a much improved grpahics on a newer tech board for the same price.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to cause confusion, it takes a raging gaggle of non owning end users who don't use an extreme 24/7/365 overclock anyway to whine and moan and complain and amd fan boy out and stretch their twisted minds babbling insanities that matter for only a very few freaks of the world with deep pockets and deeply expensive OC hardware all around.

IB did a smash up good job with their new HD4000 graphics increase, and OC's well to 4,600 with no ill effects compared to SB.

Get over it people. You aren't using a 24/7/365 massive OC on the bleeding edge of instability, especially if you are using a red amd card that already has inbuilt stability issues too.

It's amazing to me how out of control the thinking gets, and how insane it all sounds when back on earth, the choice is attained is absolutely clear, very, very easily reached.
0 0 [Posted by: SiliconDoc  | Date: 06/08/12 04:40:16 PM]

[1-20]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment