Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Despite PC Market Slowdown, Shipments of Hard Drives Set to Be Record - Analysts.

Started by: mmstick | Date 09/28/12 04:27:33 PM
Comments: 4 | Last Comment:  12/12/12 08:52:54 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-3]

An OS alone has nothing to do with increasing sales of hard drives. I can't think of any person who actually buys a dedicated hard drive for every new operating system, let alone buying an entirely new computer. In fact, most people are discouraged from buying Windows 8, there are plenty of polls showing businesses are not interested in the shift, and will remain with Windows 7. The benefits of Windows 8 is not worth the disadvantages it presents. Having tried it out myself, there is a large degree of disadvantages on many scales, yet it does nothing that Windows 7 couldn't already do well. Increased demand for hard drives is due to increased demand in data, and increased modernization of the world. Society has a long ways to go before you will see a decline in PC market or hard drive sales. Even typical consumers are now shifting to storing everything onto hard drives. Their entire movie, music, and photo collections.
0 0 [Posted by: mmstick  | Date: 09/28/12 04:27:33 PM]
- collapse thread

For every Windows release, the amount of data that is required to store is more for each release. A new hard drive might be required if adding the necessary applications after installing the OS. Windows XP requires at least 8 gigabytes of space to install it self and necessary applications like Office. Vista and Windows 7 requires at least 32 gigabytes. You could get by with 16 gigabytes with Vista or Windows 7.

Using separate hard drives is easier to multi-boot compared to using one drive. I have multi-boot with Linux and Windows using separate hard drives, so it is easier than using one hard drive. Microsoft makes it harder to use their boot loader that comes with Vista or Windows 7 with Linux and probably with previous versions of Windows. Using the BIOS to select one of multiple hard drives to boot from is easier than messing around with boot loaders and boot loaders that require some kind of layering.

Consumers are now shifting to use hard drives to store videos, music, and photos...really did you live under a rock for the past 12 years. They are doing this since the start of the millennium. I have been doing this since 2000.
0 0 [Posted by: tecknurd  | Date: 09/29/12 11:07:29 PM]

This is one of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on the public. Floods in Thailand causes shortages of critical parts and therefore sends up the price of hard drives. What shortages? Where are these shortages...in what part of the world? Has anyone had trouble getting Hard Drives? They just wanted an excuse to make more money so they used the floods as an excuse. Corporate greed at its finest.
0 0 [Posted by: FTL  | Date: 10/02/12 06:35:18 AM]

I wonder if this data is still true going forward, as the HDD market is still seemed slow during this period.
0 0 [Posted by: kng_wm64  | Date: 12/12/12 08:52:54 PM]

[1-3]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment