Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Specs of High-End Intel Core i 4000 “Haswell” Microprocessors for Desktops Get Published.

Started by: OmegaHuman | Date 12/12/12 12:15:09 AM
Comments: 24 | Last Comment:  12/30/13 02:50:27 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-8]

When competition has lost in swamp, Intel is just milking old Sandy Bridge architecture enhanced with new instructions better graphics, and additional instruction dispatchers.

So now in fact for almost three years Q3 2010 until Q2 2013 well see overall CPU improvement for some 40% at the best. Considering raise in speed and improved instructions. Only FMA will not bring any significant throughput over Sandy, It's just another theoretical peak performance that will probably need few tick-tick-ticks to be polished up.
43 35 [Posted by: OmegaHuman  | Date: 12/12/12 12:15:09 AM]
- collapse thread

show the post
31 45 [Posted by: Avon4Balls  | Date: 12/12/12 01:52:15 AM]

Dude, you are delusional. Why do you keep denying the reality of the situation? AMD cannot financially and strategically compete with a company > 50x larger that has actual fabs with 1 full generation node ahead in manufacturing. They have no $ to design the world's fastest CPUs, they have an inferior supply chain, they have lower bargaining power with high volume consumers like HP and Apple and other OEMs and have no $ to build fabrication facilities that have the world's leading lithography fabs. Intel does. Wake up, seriously wake up!!

Get more education in the field, start reading books, articles and understanding the the semi-conductor industry because you really don't understand how the chip-making business works.

Sitting there and criticizing AMD or RR will not magically produce $4-5 billion needed for a new fab, pay off $2 billion of existing debt with poor cash flows, or somehow allow AMD to increase its R&D 10x, or hire 10x as many engineers. It's all common sense to everyone, except you. Do you expect Honda to compete with Porsche in the sports car race? Man, you are something else. You really have no idea how business works.
34 2 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 12/12/12 01:14:20 PM]

show the post
0 39 [Posted by: Avon4Balls  | Date: 12/12/12 01:18:54 PM]

I can't help you if you don't want to learn the industry. Since you don't understand how semi conductor space works, you can sit here all you want and criticize AMD or any other company. None of them will compete with Intel in the high-end CPU performance race. None of them has the capital, engineering resources or the world's leading fabrication facilities. Every single company has failed to beat Intel and AMD is simply the last one standing. AMD have already said they aren't interested in the high-end CPU performance race because like everyone else they know it's just not possible.

Next time you go to a local Pizza shop, you should start screaming how stupid they are that they cannot compete with Dominos and Pizza Hut.
33 2 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 12/12/12 01:23:03 PM]

Holy crap you got 31 false accounts to top Linux low ?
6 2 [Posted by: Atlastiamhere  | Date: 12/13/12 02:05:57 AM]

It's way less than 40% if you take the enthusiast's point of view. As an example, take an overclocked Core i7 920 @ 4.0ghz and put it up against a Core i7 3770K @ 4.5ghz. The difference in regular day-to-day tasks and games will be rather small. If you need a powerhouse for workstation/rendering/video encoding work, those consumers are probably going to want a 6-core IVB-E to begin with.

The main benefits are motherboard features and reduced power consumption, especially in overclocked states. Performance wise, there is no way a Core i7 3770K OC is 40% faster than Core i7 920 OC. And if you consider games, the performance difference is practically non-existent unless you are rocking at least 2x GTX670s or something.

http://www.guru3d.com/art...e_review_benchmark,7.html

This is not a bad thing, as the $ spent on a new platform upgrade can instead be spent on areas that count - 2560x1440 Catleap monitor, faster/larger SSD, next generation videocard.

The pace of CPU progression has slowed down to a snail's pace. Anyone with 1st-3rd generation Core i7 + healthy OC will have little reason to upgrade for performance alone, more to do with enthusiasts liking to play with new hardware
35 4 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 12/12/12 01:10:05 PM]

Holy crap this guy actually gets it.
0 0 [Posted by: crypticsaga  | Date: 12/21/12 12:30:46 PM]

show the post
0 35 [Posted by: PnoyP  | Date: 12/12/12 05:35:36 PM]

Why are you responding to me about AMD being competitive in the CPU space and on top of that you are calling me an idiot? Wow, a new poster who joined and doesn't even understand the context of my posts but attacks me anyway.

I was responding to this thread regarding Haswell's CPU clocks which match IVB and expected 10% increase in IPC. I am also responding to a comment where someone said that Intel's CPUs are 40% faster than previous generations but Core i7-3770K OC is not 40% faster on average than i7-920 OC from an enthusiast's point of view. I just pointed that out, that's all. Don't jump at me because that's the truth.

Everything is an anti-Intel post to you people? Ridiculous. Go read the Guru3D review of Far Cry 3. Core i7 3770K is not much faster in games than an overclocked 1st i7 for single GPUs. You'd need 2 high end GPUs to see a big difference. Most tests only compare a stock i7 920 which is why 3770K wins automatically. Overclock them both and see what happens.

I already said I own an INTEL processor and I am saying Haswell's performance increase is marginal over SB/IVB. Intel's pace of innovation has slowed down because of little competition from AMD in the high end CPU race.
7 1 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 12/13/12 11:14:41 AM]

The question is HOW MUCH and furthermore whats the price of a MOBO+CPU combo

If the prices are similar to the ones Intel is showing now i say no thanks.
Practically is just another chip nothing more.

And most probable the video performance of the APU is hilarious.
36 14 [Posted by: HeadlessBottleneck  | Date: 12/12/12 02:36:56 AM]
- collapse thread

Sadly AMD try to kill them self. If I buy APU then Radeon (and of course GF) will drop the share. But if I need an add on GPU, then SB/IB+Mobo+VGA Card still the best choice. It means AMD will drop Radeon's profit for the mainstream Market, and lost CPU's Share in enthusiast System.
35 28 [Posted by: jpunk  | Date: 12/12/12 03:32:21 AM]

That's what's supposed to happen. APUs are meant to replace sub-$100 discrete GPUs and because of that AMD and NV largely stopped making sub-$100 dedicated GPUs. Even if Radeon market share goes down, it doesn't mean sales are not increasing. Don't worry about market share, revenue growth and derived cash flows matters more because that's what actually gives the business $ it needs to continue operating.

For example, even if Apple's iPad has lost market share as other competitors stepped into this space, Apple makes more $ and sells more iPads now than it did 2 years ago.
34 1 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 12/12/12 01:37:59 PM]

Does anyone knows what kind of socket the new processors will use??
25 3 [Posted by: blue4scorpio  | Date: 12/12/12 05:51:19 AM]
- collapse thread

show the post
29 38 [Posted by: Avon4Balls  | Date: 12/12/12 05:55:28 AM]

Whatever Intel does it will be what's best for their profit and to slap the consumer in the face - 60% margins is what they work off. You may as well burn your money. Performance per dollar, AMD wins every time (and Avon knows it).
36 28 [Posted by: linuxlowdown  | Date: 12/12/12 06:38:54 AM]

nah, intel works with 0% margin for common good. even for less - it is a charity company

if you're thinking this was sarcasm, you're wrong. it was actually said by avon/123 and other accounts that kid has

btw, i think he's working for AMD. he's done more for that company than all the advertisements together, at least on this forum...
38 26 [Posted by: snakefist  | Date: 12/12/12 07:58:55 AM]

show the post
24 41 [Posted by: Avon4Balls  | Date: 12/12/12 09:18:46 AM]

delusional

no company works for charity, but either you or your second personality actually said that intel does.

i have no comment on this, as it were your own words
10 1 [Posted by: snakefist  | Date: 12/13/12 12:55:49 AM]

"Probably a new socket mate.
But who knows this is all just speculation."

WOW, thanks for proving once again you don't know anything about tech. Socket 1150 is not speculation and has been confirmed a long time ago, along with the Lynx Point chipset. This information was known 12 months ago.

http://www.techpowerup.co...s-Well-That-Haswell-.html

Stop posting, you add no technical knowledge to this forum. You don't know anything about Haswell despite constantly pointing out how amazing Intel CPUs are. Your agenda here is not to educate members about new technologies of Intel, or discuss tech in general, but only to troll users who say anything about AMD products. You are the epitome of a troll.
32 2 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 12/12/12 01:45:42 PM]

socket 1150 i read somewhere
24 3 [Posted by: willj1220  | Date: 12/12/12 12:04:28 PM]

Socket 1150. The heatsink hole spacing should be the same as that of Socket 1155/1156, which makes it convenient for existing owners who have after-market CPU heatsinks to upgrade from their existing platforms.

Here is a comparison of the measurements for S1155 vs. 1150. They are very similar so the mounting holes can remain the same.
http://www.techpowerup.com/img/11-11-09/43b.jpg
30 2 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 12/12/12 01:33:35 PM]

show the post
24 39 [Posted by: Avon4Balls  | Date: 12/12/12 11:38:20 AM]
- collapse thread

Not really.. older AMD cpus had 6 real cores .. the new one has 8 half cores. 4 real cores in real world use
14 0 [Posted by: vid_ghost  | Date: 12/12/12 03:20:01 PM]

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. -how to get youtube views
0 0 [Posted by: Kilowajade  | Date: 09/12/13 10:32:35 AM]

Haswell processors are still pretty good. They are very cheap at this point as well so it is definitely worth buying.

Anton Shilov has done a nice job putting everything together in this post by the way. Thanks buddy, I've actually learned a few new things.
0 0 [Posted by: jacek  | Date: 10/22/13 03:52:45 PM]

Just want to say your article is striking. The clarity in your post is simply striking and i can take for granted you are an expert on this subject. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and Truly insightful information thanks a ton. I’m sure we’d all like to read a lot more helpful intel much like this in the future I really trust you actually can certainly persist your current prolific authoring style.
www.price4india.co.in mobile
www.price4india.co.in
0 0 [Posted by: price4india  | Date: 12/09/13 01:20:32 AM]

This is a good,common sense article. Very helpful to one who is just finding the resouces about this part. It will certainly help educate me.
www.irolexit.com
0 0 [Posted by: andyu  | Date: 12/30/13 02:50:27 AM]

[1-8]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment