Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Code-Names of AMD’s Southern Islands and Solar System GPU Families Revealed.

Started by: JBG | Date 01/08/13 08:15:51 PM
Comments: 3 | Last Comment:  01/09/13 03:02:59 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-2]

The 28nm process now is very mature and volume ramp for discrete and IGP graphics should not be of concern (especailly with Global Foundries NY FAB 8 now online).

So it would not make sense to not bring the latest graphics core design to both mobile and desktop in the same cycle (which yes has been the case for previous cycles but my belief is that was due to limitation of cutting edge node process for discrete desktop that needed to be sold at a premium to cover the higher wafer cost).

GCN2 mobile will be a Q2 release to coincide with Temash and Kibini.

vanakkuty: I was hoping you could give me your thoughts on the influence Jim Kellers recent arrival is having on AMD microprocessor designs? Is he focussing just on fresh ground up designs only or is he also getting his hands dirty with tweaking the K11's ?
2 0 [Posted by: JBG  | Date: 01/08/13 08:15:51 PM]
- collapse thread

Yes your analysis is right, the entire solar system graphics line up is sea islands which AMD themselves call as 2nd generation GCN. But it will not be given the moniker GCN2. I am beginning to think that came from the press? Not sure, I can dig on that further.

But to prove the point here is a slide from AMD's CES presentation in Hi-Def

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/6567/AMD-009.jpg

As for your question on Jim Keller. This is bit difficult for me to comment on because that information if confidential. What I can tell you is 'yes' he is hard at work on some designs with his team of Fellows and their subordinates of MTSes.

But I can say a few things, and there is no harm in telling this because anyone who works in this industry realizes these things without even having insider info on any company to be honest. All really general ways of how things happen which is why none of this is earth shatteringly scoop info. :D

Jim Keller definitely did not have the chance to influence Steamroller designs, they were already locked and in various stages of development. Even if there are changes, they are the ones that were heatedly debated, discussed and finally signed off late by people who were in charge well ahead of Keller's arrival.
3 1 [Posted by: vanakkuty  | Date: 01/08/13 08:43:26 PM]

it's nice to see that amd is retiring the 40nm from it's next gen gpu lineup it's been around since the radeon 5xxx series.
2 0 [Posted by: SteelCity1981  | Date: 01/09/13 03:02:59 AM]

[1-2]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment