Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Intel Starts Production of Next-Generation Haswell Microprocessors.

Started by: kingpin | Date 01/18/13 07:21:34 AM
Comments: 14 | Last Comment:  11/20/13 03:16:16 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-8]

show the post
3 9 [Posted by: kingpin  | Date: 01/18/13 07:21:34 AM]
- collapse thread

I hope you're joking. The extra prolonged life expectancy is just marketing BS. If they could really squeeze up 9-12h from ubiquotosly obsolete desktop architecture, when power-performace ratio came into place, then intel would really achieve miracle with its TripleGate tech. But somehow i strongly believe this is once again just intels marketing bs ...

But we must be afraid of the old proverb When money talks bullshit walks. Just remember how craptastic Atom wiped out VIAs ITX form existence to some niche market.
4 1 [Posted by: OmegaHuman  | Date: 01/18/13 01:50:02 PM]

I Love to see Intel comes to competition. Don't really care who'll win, but hope no one win with a big margin. More competition = more innovation = less expensive.
3 0 [Posted by: jpunk  | Date: 01/18/13 06:10:30 PM]

show the post
1 6 [Posted by: Blackcode  | Date: 01/18/13 07:56:53 AM]
- collapse thread

actually the usage of the processor isn't that important for the battery life of a tablet the largest user is probably wifi and the screen so. intel should invest en efficient screen technologies and pair it up whit there tablets witch would be better than switching from architecture.

4 0 [Posted by: massau  | Date: 01/18/13 08:05:20 AM]

Benchmarks please. I count for 15% IPC improvement. Tomshardware was able to benchmark Intel's CPU well before sales, but with Haswell they are silent.
6 0 [Posted by: Tristan  | Date: 01/18/13 12:29:33 PM]
- collapse thread

Yea, I'm thinking 15% to 25% depending on workload. According to this article from Anandtech on the architecture improvements it seems plausible in my eyes: http://www.anandtech.com/...tels-haswell-architecture
1 0 [Posted by: iLLz  | Date: 01/18/13 02:53:39 PM]

AT estimates IPC increase of 10%, maybe 15%. The clock speeds are rumored to be unchanged from IVB. So 25% increase is wishful thinking unless Haswell overclocks much better than IVB.

http://www.techpowerup.co...-CPU-Lineup-Detailed.html
1 0 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 01/19/13 07:14:13 PM]

MY BALLS ARE FARTING
1 2 [Posted by: Edo1296  | Date: 01/20/13 08:30:56 AM]

Once people have stopped using Windows as their O/S on devices them anything which is dedicated to the Windows walled garden is of no use to the Public. As I see it now with alternatives to the Microsoft eco system being the growth area of the computing nothing either of the chip manufactures does is going to help their cause. Once they embrace a non walled garden O/S then sale will soar. Apple is also has a Walled Garden., and by the looks of the latest figures they are also loosing out
0 1 [Posted by: tedstoy  | Date: 01/20/13 03:36:24 PM]

I noticed that only pro intel treads have more "likes" than "dislikes".

How interesting is that. Propaganda on freeweb.
0 1 [Posted by: kingpin  | Date: 01/21/13 08:59:41 AM]

Thanks to higher performance and lower power consumption compared to predecessors, Intel Core i “Haswell” will be able to power new breed of laptops that will, among other advantages, feature touch-screens, voice recognition and gesture controls.

Wishful thinking/market speak/BS............when you take into account power usage as a whole the processor is only a fraction of total usage and any CPU power savings made would be taken up by added features (touch screen on a laptop..........Noooooooo) or smaller battery in the quest for the every lighter chassis
0 0 [Posted by: alpha0ne  | Date: 01/22/13 09:44:54 PM]

I won't doubt Haswell will match or outperform in perf/watt with the latest and greatest ARM SoCs, but I'm sure it will still flop in the mobile space because Intel has a wrong business model. No one wants to get locked into using expensive chips with an uarch wholly controlled by one single company...What's good for Intel is detrimental to the other players.
0 0 [Posted by: Randomguy  | Date: 02/13/13 05:32:08 AM]

[1-8]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment