Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Sony PlayStation 4: New Liberal Approach to Development, Multi-Core x86, Massive Memory Bandwidth, Cloud Technologies, 4K Video.

Started by: SteelCity1981 | Date 02/18/13 10:41:52 AM
Comments: 15 | Last Comment:  04/20/14 04:54:55 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-8]

looks like Sony learnt a lot from its mistakes from the PS3. After years of being ontop of the console market they rode to high on their last two consoles sucess and became a bit lazy with the PS3, but now seeing as the PS3 was the first Sony console to get surpassed by the competition from both Nintendo with its Wii and Microsoft with its xbox 360 it knocked Sony back down to reality. Sony needed a good kick in the rear and hopefully we will see the PS4 becoming really sucessful like the good old PS2 days again.
3 1 [Posted by: SteelCity1981  | Date: 02/18/13 10:41:52 AM]
- collapse thread

I disagree that they were lazy with the PS3--it was very ambitious when it was released. If it hadn't been so expensive and so late, it would very likely have passed the 360 in this generation. They did seem to get distracted and let it languish a bit as time went on, though.
0 0 [Posted by: bluvg  | Date: 02/19/13 12:03:29 PM]

As is said at the end of the article, Sony has to make it the must have item for the living room. They have to make it do much more than games. They have to make it an entertainment hub with content from Sony's vast library and elsewhere.
2 1 [Posted by: linuxlowdown  | Date: 02/18/13 06:14:20 PM]

I've been way more impressed by the direction PS4 is heading compared to all the rumors I read on 720. Sony seems to be going full-force on making this the power house media/gaming console for next round.
4 1 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 02/19/13 12:41:18 AM]

No wonder why AMD dropped plans of launching Radeon HD 8000 series for desktop. AMD may be really busy developing chips for MS and Sony. These consoles can make a lot of cash for AMD.......
0 0 [Posted by: tks  | Date: 02/19/13 03:59:42 AM]

4K video playback, but not 4K gaming. Is OK, there are not so many 4K monitors/TVs out there anyways..
0 0 [Posted by: TAViX  | Date: 02/19/13 04:46:51 AM]
- collapse thread

Not now but in 4 to 5 years they will be once the prices drop after the research and developement fees are paid off. The reality is 4k TV's are mostly reserved for TV's that are 60 inches and up, because this is the target screen sizes were TV manufactures are focusing 4k TV's on since you will be able to start to see a diff in image quality with 4k over 1080p. So the vast majority of TV's under 60 inches will remain 1080p for years to come.
1 0 [Posted by: SteelCity1981  | Date: 02/19/13 05:52:19 AM]

Apple could move the industry much faster if they brought out 4K TV's. But I still can't understand how they'll handle upscaling of old i576 and i480 content. I'll be one of these consumers to buy the last gen of 1080p TV's so I can watch my old shows. Actually, I now regret throwing away my perfectly good 1997 Sony Trinitron 4 years ago.
1 1 [Posted by: linuxlowdown  | Date: 02/19/13 07:09:58 AM]

they will prob leave it as the same format and the picture on the screen will just auto adjust to a letter box format like with modern HD TV's. i can only imagine how much smaller the viewing area is going to be with a 4k big screen TV through with low def formats. I'd guess half the screen will prob end up being black bars on either side to make up for the pixel loss.

I hear ya i upgraded recently to a 32 inch led backlit 1080p HDTV. I loved my old sanyo 32 inch TV, but i had to upgrade, i was getting tired of my screen getting cut off esp watching sports. So it was time for an upgrade to HD That and i was getting HD cable boxes as a free upgrade and it would have been pointless to have HD cable boxes and have a non HDTV to not be able to take advantage of it. So between those two reasons I finally caved in and bought me an HDTV. Sad part is you can't even give your old CRT TV's away now because no one wants them. I first tried selling mine and when that didn't fly i tried giving it away and no one wanted it lol.
0 0 [Posted by: SteelCity1981  | Date: 02/19/13 07:32:20 AM]

Upscaling 1080p to 4K is trivial, just make one 1080p pixel in to 2x2 4K pixels, since 4K is exactly 2x the size of 1080p in both dimensions. Although some TV manufacturers are doing more advanced upscaling that tries to predict greater detail from the original image.
1 0 [Posted by: shaurz  | Date: 02/20/13 07:59:53 AM]

I think the point is that 4k upscaling of old TV will make it look like an early 80s computer game. But I can't wait to see how they'll engineer a reasonable solution.
0 0 [Posted by: linuxlowdown  | Date: 02/20/13 01:40:18 PM]

...it had too many ambitions with the Cell processor (which was good for high-performance computing, but was too tricky for a consumer device)

No, the Cell processor wasn't good for HPC, either. Ask anyone that tried programming for it in that space. Or, just look to the Jaguar Petaflop supercomputer fiasco--they quietly swapped out the Cell processors with something more conventional very quickly and very quietly (they broke the Petaflop barrier, but really in name only to satisfy lawmakers concerned with the US falling behind in the supercomputing race... what a nice piece of pork for the vendors involved!). Jaguar ultimately only had a few programs that effectively utilized it during its Cell incarnation.
1 0 [Posted by: bluvg  | Date: 02/19/13 11:59:03 AM]

area dork says: Sony wants "liberal approach." Nyuk nyuk nyuk
1 0 [Posted by: qubit  | Date: 02/19/13 08:36:54 PM]

Nevertheless, Sony has institute a resolution that bequeath hardly barely work the retrospectives compatibility bugbear, besides mind potentially spread the PlayStation concern as well. http://www.globalwritings.com/write-my-essay
0 0 [Posted by: Rehan Khan  | Date: 04/20/14 04:54:55 PM]

[1-8]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment