Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Roundup: Six Mini-ITX Mainboards on Intel Z77 Chipset

Started by: xbitman | Date 04/28/13 01:53:11 PM
Comments: 7 | Last Comment:  08/31/13 12:55:58 AM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-5]

My personal favorite is Zotac because of well thought through mainboard layout (mSATA slot), component quality and good DrMOS cooling. Of course the BIOS shortcomings might be a serious problem when overclocking but I bet it is possible to adress the VRM controller directly through some overclocking software like rightmark cpu clock utility. It's stupid and dangerous to overclock via BIOS anyway as it's impossible to verify stable frequencies/voltages without benchmarks. Unfortunately Zotac change hardware versions very often without informing their customers. There are at least three hardware versions of this board. Just look at the caps, sound chips or wifi cards.
The mSATA slot on Asrock is placed most stupid under the z77 Chipset. The consequence will be high temperature of the mSATA SSD and withit even data loss, just like with Intel NUC and its Wifi/mSATA SSD hardware problem.

@testing team: next time please use additionally a high-end watercooling setup to reach maximum overclocking capabilities of your testing participants because that is what overclocking is about. Air coolers just won't do it and limit overclocking due overheating.
0 0 [Posted by: xbitman  | Date: 04/28/13 01:53:11 PM]

I will probably buy Asrock, however EVGA's bios interface is so nice! Finally something that is not full of colors, rounded buttons and other useless crap that only complicates using it and irritates me.

It's like using MSI Afterbunner - the software is great, but gui is horrible (still better than others thought). Do all PC makers think that only people using that kind of software will be some kids who enjoy fireworks like thet?
0 0 [Posted by: knedle  | Date: 05/01/13 02:12:03 AM]

I have the ASRock board paired with a HD7870. It's quite a beast. Only issue I've had is that sometimes they keyboard is not detected on boot and I have to reconnect it, but that might be an issue specific to my keyboard.
0 0 [Posted by: shaurz  | Date: 05/02/13 04:26:23 AM]

Does anyone know if it's possible to add a VRM cooler to the GIGABYTE GA-Z77N-WIFI because it's already shipped before I read this review. Since it overclocks to almost the same speed as the others, lack of manual cpu voltage settings doesn't bother me. I'm worried about the heat from the VRM/DrMOS. So, can I just buy a cooler and screw it in place?
0 0 [Posted by: colinkeenan  | Date: 05/03/13 08:48:20 AM]
- collapse thread

Now that I've got the board, I see that the stock CPU cooler actually covers most of the VRM so that not only is it not possible to add a cooler to the VRM, it's really not needed.
0 0 [Posted by: colinkeenan  | Date: 05/17/13 09:24:54 AM]

Hi,

Nice test, but I have a question : I read your test "Roundup: Eight Mini-ITX Mainboards for LGA1155 Processors." written in 2011 and I don't really understand the differences in the power consumption tests.

You also mention the use of GeForce drivers but I don't see any card using a GeForce

Thanks for the answers

Mathieu
0 0 [Posted by: alligo  | Date: 08/31/13 12:55:58 AM]

[1-5]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment