Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Web-Site Publishes Fully-Fledged Intel Core i7-4770K “Haswell” Review.

Started by: beenthere | Date 05/12/13 08:19:42 AM
Comments: 32 | Last Comment:  05/15/13 02:12:53 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-9]

It's pretty obvious that Haswell is not going to perform anywhere near the hype that has been floating around for a year. AMD will still hold the laptop advantage for user experience and that's what counts for mainstream consumers, especially with the price advantage that an AMD system provides.
11 6 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 05/12/13 08:19:43 AM]
- collapse thread

show the post
4 7 [Posted by: OmegaHuman  | Date: 05/12/13 10:40:11 AM]

The AMD user experience is so amazing you just see piles and piles of AMD ultrabooks (equivalents i mean since theyre not allowed to use the term ultrabook)... oh wait thats right there not a single major premium laptop using and AMD chip... it must be because all the OEM's actually look at the power usage (something beenthere likes to act like doesnt exist)
4 5 [Posted by: cashkennedy  | Date: 05/12/13 10:57:41 AM]

No dude. Intel is so dominant it engages in pay offs and coercion of OEMs, software vendors and channels. It has little to do with the technical merits of platform design. Now what ever became of that crippled version of Windows XP 64-bit?
2 3 [Posted by: linuxlowdown  | Date: 05/13/13 12:22:36 AM]

Yes and although that is illegal, and the european union is desperate for more money, they have chosen to look the other way (sarcasm)
0 0 [Posted by: cashkennedy  | Date: 05/15/13 02:12:53 PM]

Having looked at the supposed specs rather than any hype, the above results are surprisingly low.

OTOH, early version testing is known for giving uneven results so that is quite possibly the reason. OTOH again, it is quite possible that the chip is a better performer, but that the headroom is used for power reduction instead...

And while i can´t agree with your optimism about AMD, i can agree that they are very popular for laptops and for lowend allround desktops using their APUs. For their price, those are really good value.

But their cpus are still a little bit too high priced to be worth the lower performance.

Lets just hope AMD comes back soon with enough of a boost that Intel can´t keep playing "almost monopoly" in too many market niches like they´re doing now.

AND lets hope Haswell really is as good as both hype and specs says it should be, because it might be my next desktop cpu...
2 2 [Posted by: DIREWOLF75  | Date: 05/12/13 04:19:05 PM]

Did you guys get confused by the Haswell Benefit percentages? Because MediaCoder is measured in seconds and I would presume that the 455s in Haswell is much faster than 517s of Ivy Bridge than the other way round.
4 2 [Posted by: Reuben Chew  | Date: 05/12/13 08:46:05 AM]
- collapse thread

Cutey. I personally expect it to be even faster than that since all that AVX2 optimizations and threading reorganization. If it will be left at that even when optimized for new architecture it would be pathetic 12-15% performance upgrade and should meant that Software Sellers will decide to degrade performace for previous generation CPU (Sandy/IvyBridge)
2 2 [Posted by: OmegaHuman  | Date: 05/12/13 10:44:21 AM]

show the post
2 6 [Posted by: cashkennedy  | Date: 05/12/13 10:54:11 AM]

This reminds me of when AMD came out with bulldozer and the phenom II X6 beat it in some benchmarks.
4 1 [Posted by: SteelCity1981  | Date: 05/12/13 10:31:03 AM]
- collapse thread

Not again. Hopefully CPU designers didnt screw us again. But that might be nasty true as AMDs as competitor is gone in last four years.
4 5 [Posted by: OmegaHuman  | Date: 05/12/13 10:46:21 AM]

I thought the whole idea of Haswell was power reduction. Seems like we've got similar computing performance to Ivy Bridge but since no power was given in this review we don't have the real picture. The performance per watt might be a lot better with Haswell.
4 2 [Posted by: dmb2112  | Date: 05/12/13 12:04:26 PM]

Considering "Core i7-4770K: Haswell's Performance, Previewed" on TH got different results and isn't Chinese (who can't even build a children's toy without dumping a ton of lead into it), I'd wait for more benchmarks.
4 4 [Posted by: AnonymousGuy  | Date: 05/12/13 01:01:46 PM]
- collapse thread

Don't be racist.
3 3 [Posted by: linuxlowdown  | Date: 05/13/13 12:27:09 AM]

I agree, don't be racist, but still I have my doubts on the truth content of this benchmark.
1 1 [Posted by: Taco Hubbeling  | Date: 05/13/13 07:25:43 AM]

he didn't say anything racist all he said is Chinese can't build things without a bunch of led in childerns toys which is right considering all the recalls. If it was racist he would have said those Asians spans from china can't build things without a bunch of led in them, now that would be racist. what he said would be equal to someone saying americans build crappy cars.
0 0 [Posted by: SteelCity1981  | Date: 05/13/13 11:42:28 AM]

He is implying that you can't trust anything done by the Chinese or the Chinese are innately inferior. Do you remember (probably you're too young) you couldn't trust anything done by the an evil communist Russian? And everything made by the Japanese was a joke (anti-marketing)? And why so should I trust any American benchmarks because they can always find weapons of mass destruction? It is at least xenophobic if not racist to generalise about the competence or truthfulness of a person or result based on race or culture. Scientists have found that Intelligence is equally distributed in all human societies.
1 0 [Posted by: linuxlowdown  | Date: 05/14/13 01:32:17 AM]

it's not racist considering Asians make up more then one country in a particular region. and he is right. China does not follow the same safety regulations as everyone else does, pets died due to led poison in dog food, drywall that came from china had a lot of led in it that had to be recalled, toys also found led in them as well that came from china. high nitrogen run off is polluting waters in and around that region due to farms that the Chinese gov allows. it's not xenophobic when it's fact about the toxicity and lack of regulations coming from one country with their products.
0 0 [Posted by: SteelCity1981  | Date: 05/14/13 11:10:49 AM]

But does that mean that you never trust a Chinese because, well, they are Chinese? C'mon mate. Think about it.
0 0 [Posted by: linuxlowdown  | Date: 05/14/13 01:24:15 PM]

no one said that, he was implying the country itself and the origins in which these products come from cannot be trusted due to the Chinese gov lack of health and regulation codes that allow these companies to make these types of dangerous products.
0 0 [Posted by: SteelCity1981  | Date: 05/14/13 03:45:35 PM]

I will be upgrading from a very old system but want to wait for either Volcanic Islands or Maxwell for a graphics card.

So the question is, what is faster my AMD Radeon HD 4870 512mb or the Intel HD 4600 on the 4770k?

Next question, as i am pretty sure Intel will not have managed to compress an entire high-end (ish) video card from 2008 into a few transistors on a CPU, can i still use the OpenCL power of the Haswell chip if i have my old discrete card plugged in? I remember on early Sandy Bridge reviews you could only use QuickSync if you had a monitor plugged into Intel's video outputs.
1 3 [Posted by: loadwick  | Date: 05/12/13 01:30:12 PM]
- collapse thread

"So the question is, what is faster my AMD Radeon HD 4870 512mb or the Intel HD 4600 on the 4770k?"

And maybe you should personalise thread with who has bigger kind of questions.

I'd say in 2014 both of solutions are crap. Only question is who really has bigger crap. And if you really believe in Intel marketing well buy one. As by the question i'd pretty certain that you dont need anything more than some archaic media box based on extremely obsolete Atom.
0 2 [Posted by: OmegaHuman  | Date: 05/13/13 06:12:24 AM]

It is not just the performance. It is the performance per watt. Hasn't this gotten through by now? The biggest machines are limited by power as much as anything else. Haswell is supposed to have significant improvements in power efficiency and this should not be overlooked.
2 0 [Posted by: hobagman69  | Date: 05/12/13 08:52:42 PM]
- collapse thread

So they sell Haswell for desktops are 35W/socket but with every kid has option to buy four socket board. But it has only PCIe lanes where are DMI, hm? And price per CPU remain the same as for i7-3770K or a slightly higher of 380USD ... really nice rig but at a ripoff price
2 0 [Posted by: OmegaHuman  | Date: 05/13/13 06:16:03 AM]

Wait for 9000 series Radeon and Steamroller/Kaveri this year. Huge improvements to CPU.

Intel is monopoly = no real advancements. Just money grabbing. You know that already.
3 2 [Posted by: Vampire36  | Date: 05/13/13 01:09:21 AM]
- collapse thread

Intel is the bully in the playground who forces lunch money off some, pays others to get him good grades and bashes those who also want to be popular because HE CAN. The teacher looks the other way because the bully's father donates to the school.
6 3 [Posted by: linuxlowdown  | Date: 05/13/13 01:29:04 AM]

Well, some of kids just like to spend their sugar daddy's money on that kind of stuff and daddy will do anything to make his kid happy as long kind make him happy.
2 0 [Posted by: OmegaHuman  | Date: 05/13/13 06:21:12 AM]

bully = Intel Corp.
father = Intel top executives/ lobbyist by-proxies
teacher = overseeing body for regulation of competition
school = those in government

I get it.
1 0 [Posted by: fanboyslayer  | Date: 05/13/13 07:24:05 AM]

0 0 [Posted by: Vampire36  | Date: 05/13/13 08:45:21 AM]

Oh yes and meanwhile look at all the sites reporting how incredibly well Haswell OCes verses IB (ie. Intel's Core i7-4770K Overclocked to 5.0 GHz on Just 0.904 V).. Makes all these tests invalid since IB sux'ed massive ballz in the OC field. Now imagine how high it can go with V increases (8Ghz the record on insane cooling right now). I REMOTELY won't be running Haswell @ stock. It will be massively OC'ed.
0 0 [Posted by: thudo  | Date: 05/13/13 08:37:03 AM]

[1-9]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment