Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
AMD Richland and Socket FM2 Platform: Computing Performance

Started by: mmstick | Date 09/01/13 07:48:19 PM
Comments: 32 | Last Comment:  03/18/14 06:51:24 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-11]

You're late, Phoronix already made a review back in June
http://www.phoronix.com/s...le&item=amd_a10_6800k
1 2 [Posted by: mmstick  | Date: 09/01/13 07:48:19 PM]

show the post
2 7 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 09/01/13 09:28:50 PM]
- collapse thread

Yes your right, Richland is refined architecture by increasing its clock rate over Trinity.

0 2 [Posted by: kailrusha  | Date: 09/03/13 03:37:19 AM]

Yes, Richland is an improvement of Trinity. One problem is AMD APU still lack to compete against Intel's processors. Even Intel's i3 processors beats AMD's APU A10-6800K. That is pathetic when comparing power consumption and the worst thing price.

Single thread is not obsolete and no multithreaded is not the future. Some tasks benefit more with single thread compared to multithreaded. Other tasks will benefit with multithread. You can think otherwise, but still there will be a mixture of multithreaded and single thread applications in the future.

Actually Haswell with Iris Pro actually competes against AMD's APU offerings by twice the performance. Iris Pro uses eDRAM as a cache for both the CPU and graphics to minimize memory bandwidth bottleneck. APU have huge memory bandwidth bottleneck that restricts its performance.

I am sad to say that Kaveri is not going to be a game changer because of the pathetic performance boost Richland and where Intel is at right now which is about quadruple big leaps ahead of AMD. AMD needs to think about their business model for 80x86. If AMD is also going to develop ARM processors, AMD will not have any money for R&D for both 80x86 and ARM. AMD's CPU business is a lost cause now even though they did well during the Athlon days (1999 to 2006). AMD lost a lot of good engineers since 2006.
1 1 [Posted by: tecknurd  | Date: 09/05/13 08:50:49 AM]

Nope. when you are proud of beating the slowest i3 in the pile you still have a long way to go. so far the amd apu-laptop reviews have been very dismal.
1 1 [Posted by: amdzorz  | Date: 09/06/13 12:18:09 AM]

The general performance segment was based on an entirely synthetic & highly inaccurate benchmarking tool which is Sysmark 2012.
Nvidia, VIA & AMD all have quit BAPCo (the sysmark development company) because sysmark 2012 was proven to be rigged in favor of intel platforms.
http://news.softpedia.com...-2012-Biased-207412.shtml

The reviewer continues the review with very lightly threaded based benchmarks where the performance of the 4 cores on the 6800K were completely ignored & untouched upon, further in, the reviewer showcased performance results of the CPUs in gaming with a discrete graphics card something these APUs were never meant to do as AMD offers less expensive high performance processors without integrated graphics in the form of FX line-up where an FX 8320, AMD's eight core Piledriver based processor costs the same as the Richland 6800K Piledriver based quadcore processor.

This utterly bypasses the most vital selling point of the AMD APUs which is the best in class onboard graphics performance in which The AMD APUs handily beat all Intel processors including the flagship i7 4770K from intel which is more than twice as expensive.

All in all this was a depressingly poor thought out review either out of malicious intent to downplay AMD's offerings and skew the results in favor of intel or out of ignorance, both of which deem this review invalid.
4 3 [Posted by: Martin Higby  | Date: 09/01/13 10:50:43 PM]
- collapse thread

well said.
1 1 [Posted by: Roy Taylor  | Date: 09/03/13 05:51:09 AM]

What about include on the test, the Athlons X4 740-750K-760K?
1 0 [Posted by: Christian Soto Gonzalez  | Date: 09/02/13 12:46:29 AM]

My only 2 issues with this are first: nothing that pushes the on die graphics which is the main reason why there is now a support for 2133mhz in richland and as higby mentioned is the main power you get when buying amd over intel which is really ignoring half the product. The second is that you said the 6800k is meant to compete with an i5. Not only is this wrong from amd's advertising but on cost as well. An i5 is closer to 200 $ (older modles are. Little cheaper) and the 6800k sells for 150 at high. Usually closer to 130 is what I see. If you are going to mention where they are supposed to stack up, you should make sure to get that right. An Fx 8350 while is the high end of what they sell as retail parts, amd admits they are to compete with an i5. And 8350 has twice as many cores and l3 cache and ia expected to run with a diacrete card.
0 0 [Posted by: Aaron Gallagher  | Date: 09/02/13 08:05:32 AM]

Great review showing that AMD APUs are inferior at single threaded performance and not high end game worthy, heterogeneous computing will benefit Intel as much if not more that AMD because of Intel's Ring Bus.

Thanks for bringing us the Facts, AMD pumpers are full of FUD and excuses but the real truth is that AMD's APUs are pretty much worthless for mainstream productivity and gaming. You're much better off with Intel CPU and discrete GPU that you can add a second GPU for a SLI upgrade when needed without bottle-necking like AMD APUs do.

4 1 [Posted by: Maxwell Smart  | Date: 09/02/13 07:20:39 PM]

Can you do a review test please for the mobile products also? Thanks.
0 1 [Posted by: TAViX  | Date: 09/03/13 02:18:11 PM]

For those who currently have socket AM3+ mobos there is a survey going on at Xtreme Systems regarding a Steamroller CPU.

http://www.xtremesystems....siasts-NOW-is-your-chance
0 2 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 09/04/13 03:01:18 AM]

First Kaveri benchmarks show A10-6800k and iris 5200 are junk! Look here!

http://AMDFX.blogspot.com
0 0 [Posted by: panos hjh  | Date: 09/21/13 10:53:42 PM]

gaming review was totally failed. Author should review using onboard graphics not using discrete graphics card.
0 0 [Posted by: Ary Rachmanto  | Date: 11/13/13 10:23:52 PM]

You are the best, great reviews, the ones thar really help people in finding answers. Easy to find what one is looking for!
Keep on the good job, thanks.
0 0 [Posted by: Leonardo Bruzzoni  | Date: 03/18/14 06:51:24 PM]

[1-11]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment