Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
Server Platforms Today

Started by: Andrzej | Date 04/30/04 01:55:35 AM
Comments: 20 | Last Comment:  08/25/06 10:55:51 AM

[1-2]

Very good article.

Comparative SpecInt
------------------------
Very few, if any, servers have one processor, and the importance of scalability as your article describes. I would have liked to see multiprocessor SpecInt comparison as this would have given an indication of the comparative scalability. Perhaps a four processor SpecInt comparison would have been usefull as all server CPU's designs should be scalable to at least 4.

I/O
---
Another inportant feature of any server is the I/O performance/bandwidth supported by the associated shipset - I assume all chipsets today support PCI-X - but at what speed?
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 05/03/04 04:51:03 PM]

Are we supposed to be awed by the Itanium 6.4 GB/sec bandwidth bus that has to be shared by 4 CPUs? Any P4 with 800 FSB had that bandwidth a year ago in a single CPU system! The 4-way HP DL685 Opteron server has 17 GB/s (PC2100) or 21 GB/s (PC2700) of memory bandwidth available. Plus the HT links have spare bandwidth available for I/O and cache coherency snooping transactions. This is actual bandwidth to the CPUs, not some phony 12.8 GB/s memory bandwidth connected to a puny 6.4 GB/s bus to the CPUs.

The low Itanium 2 memory bandwidth illustrates the fact that this system was designed in the stone age, when people thought 6.4 GB/s would be enough. Its not, and Opteron will soon see its HT bus speeds increase by 25% while Intel stands still because of its commitment to keep the Itanium platform stable.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 05/04/04 03:30:32 PM]

[1-2]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment