Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
AMD Radeon R9 290X Review

Started by: tcube | Date 01/23/14 08:00:11 PM
Comments: 23 | Last Comment:  02/09/14 12:20:14 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-7]

This review is 2 months late! Not includimg any custom 290x and also still whining about noise and heat after custom designs and coolers showed it to be a non issue is just stupid...

The 290x custom cards are on par with 780ti custom. Also makimg tests with physx on and prominently displaying them first is super biased.

In heavy loads of non nvidia optimisations the 290x is in par with 780ti. The 780ti however overclocked is some 5% better then 290x overclocked...

Anyway buying a dGPU for gaming is becoming stupid... a kaveri chip can hanle all these games at hd and some at full hd level... wtf would i need ANY of the listed cards for??? Multiple monitors? 4k monitors? Other then that it's just bragging right as you can see these cards handle almost any game with everything on in any res lower then 4k to a refesh rate higher then your usual lcd/led panel... so just wasted power... more still every frame above 30/s is also not observable by most so that is also waste of power... if you ask me any of these cards is just an overpowered behemoth good only for bragging rights... they are lambos & ferraris... we all like them but less then 1% buy them, 1% of those know how to use them and 1% of those actually need one...
4 6 [Posted by: tcube  | Date: 01/23/14 08:00:11 PM]
- collapse thread

show the post
0 5 [Posted by: novv  | Date: 01/24/14 04:17:38 AM]

Late or not, I'm always happy to get more data and comparison data. I own an R9 290X and like it a lot. Still, in general, the 290X custom is NOT on par with the GTX 780ti, this is common knowledge.

Meet me on the Battlefield (4) and I'll show you what kind advantage a premium graphic solution, with full detail and a steady 60fps brings to it's owner
1 1 [Posted by: MHudon  | Date: 01/24/14 08:49:25 AM]

Well I said custom didn't I? The custom 290x don't throttle and keep 1ghz... Like direct CU 2? Or lightning? or any others of the custom builds?

How about we meet on a SC or SC2 server so I can show you how it doesn't count at all B)
3 2 [Posted by: tcube  | Date: 01/24/14 10:22:38 AM]

oh and btw I got a BF4 licence with my new kaveri... I might take you up on the challenge when I get some practice with it... it's been a while since I played any serious FPSs... but since you're so eager I just might take you up on it...
1 2 [Posted by: tcube  | Date: 01/24/14 06:10:55 PM]

I don't think anyone will be able to take you seriously after this post. An APU offers no where near the graphics horsepower needed for many modern games.

Yes, custom 290X cards are available now, for the same price as the 780ti. At the same price, the 780ti is the better card.
2 3 [Posted by: UnbiasedONE  | Date: 01/24/14 02:18:09 PM]

yeah... just tell us 1 game that a kaveri apu can't handle in either HD or FullHD... at above 30 frames... come on just 1!

You have to turn to either huge resolutions or "advanced physics" which is nvidia bs or you need to have multiple monitors ... all of which are niche for ultra rich kids(mental age not always actual age).

Most gamers are guys that either don't have the money and admire the likes of 780(ti)/290(x) or have the money but don't see the point of using such a behemoth computing powerhouse just for gaming...

Have you seen ANY kaveri reviews?? Any and ALL games played can be played at least in HD! Most can be played in FullHD. That's what most people will call adequate.

Saying that you NEED a 780Ti or a 290x for gaming is like saying you need a lanbo or a ferrari for joy rides! These are serious powerhouses for crying out loud both have in the 6TFLOPS range of power. Using it to display 3d content on 6 UHD screens *might* constitute something comparable to a racedriver actually needing a ferrari to compete... Other then that it's just whiny bragging rights kids that think that spending 5-10k on a "high-end gaming rig" somehow makes them better at BF4. I had a friend executing hoards in counter strike years ago with a laggy connection a bad monitor and a mediocre rig and he was no camper... he used his brains and skills not the pixeldensity.

So for all of you thinking you NEED one such card and for your parents(or whifes/gf's) - YOU DON'T, having a more responsive rig gives you some 5% better chance to hit a headshot... knowing the game mechanics and human behavior will make you a god in the game as long as you get sufficient frames to not be looking at slideshow and you have at least HD resolution with a decent internet connection. I've seen guys align shots in under a second while talking to me and sipping coffee at the same time... multiple shots in a row even(I once challenged one guy to not fire a single shot unless it is headshot and if he did he would just take his hands off the keyboard and mouse... safe to say I lost the bet and learned a lesson... he even managed to have the most kills even so...). I'm fairly certain I wasn't in the presence of a divine act when doing so, so stop whining! You did not get killed in BF4 because your network was laggy or because your screen has not enough pixels or because your gpu did not churn enough frames out... you really are THAT bad at the game! Face it! Geeeeeez... Go invest some hundreds of hours in getting at the level some of the guys in the game are and you'll see that you don't need any of it stop thinking you can always buy or find a shortcut to success. Want something ... work for it! Want bragging rights man up to it, no shame in being filthy rich, but don't go selling lies that you actually NEED that... you want it ... there's a difference! And nobody's judging!

and btw... 780Ti 660 euro, R9-290x Direct cu 560 euro... I call 100 euros (about 150 USD) a damn difference for just 5% difference!! When both overclocked and trading punches when not... That difference is btw almost as much as a kaveri A10-7850 ... so there you have it.
3 3 [Posted by: tcube  | Date: 01/24/14 05:46:36 PM]

Inno Ichill 780 ti Hercules runs at +1200 stable never getting above
70C. No 290 x will come close. You need special cooling just to get the 290x to run at advertized base speed.
3 0 [Posted by: beck2448  | Date: 01/24/14 04:43:50 AM]
- collapse thread

Agreed, Nvidia really conceived a wonderful cooler that will be sufficient for many generations to come methinks

But with An Arctic Hybrid or Accelero Extreme cooler, the R9 290(X) cards level the gap. Third party cooled 290(X) cards are doing great too!
0 0 [Posted by: MHudon  | Date: 01/24/14 08:55:11 AM]

yeah because there aren't any custom 290x cards out there you can buy to eliminate any type of heat or noise problems... like:
ASUS R9 290X DirectCU II
Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X WindForce
Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Tri-X
XFX R9-290X-EDFD
MSI Radeon R9 290X Lightning

I don't know there are so few I can not make a choice... but NOOO ... reviewer HAS to compare a custom&OC 780 but no custom or OC 290x in his review... niice... As I said... reviewer is stuck 2 months back in time...
2 4 [Posted by: tcube  | Date: 01/24/14 10:28:13 AM]

2 months old or not, can you name another reviewer who took the time to compare these cards performance in 17 games and apps? Did you take the time to read and think about this data before enlightening us with useless comments?

It's actually the first single review giving such a global view of each architecture strong and weak points in. I guess for someone like, you such data as no value right?

The point being, the better you know about reference cards performance, the better positioned you'll be to judge the value of the following custom line-up.
2 0 [Posted by: MHudon  | Date: 01/24/14 01:02:42 PM]

Yes tom's has about 4 reviews about this card and custom ones... inital review 35 pages long... much more comprehensive than this... so yeah there are 2 months old revies much more indepth then this... and soon one month old reviews of custom and oc versions... what rock have you been living under?
4 0 [Posted by: tcube  | Date: 01/24/14 03:47:49 PM]

Yes 2 months late and after nVidia came back from a total knock out, a review came from a nVidia fanboy site. The 780 ti might have its advantages, but where I live the cheapest 780 ti is 28% more expensive than the cheapest 290x or about $160.

nVidia fanboys should be happy that AMD is keeping the prices down. No doubt if the 290x were not out there the 780 ti would cost $1000 like the Titan. Oh, I feel sorry for the people who bought the Titan....
3 5 [Posted by: tony_in_dk  | Date: 01/24/14 05:54:51 AM]
- collapse thread

Are you guys on drugs? Where in this review did the R9 290X looked anything else... than itself?

It performs great, but runs too hot and is stupidly noisy... we all know that don't we?

On the contrary, what was shown is a card that gives Nvidia hell of a fight in many area, but the noise... Why the hell do you think Arctic Coolers are out of stock almost everywhere for the past 2 months?
2 0 [Posted by: MHudon  | Date: 01/24/14 09:06:02 AM]

Yes, the 290x looks like itself, but in the conclusion it is compared to the 780 ti, which is on the marked NOW. I put water on my 290x, they are completely quiet and still cheaper than 780 ti... And again: the ti's are only this "cheap" because of the 290x is cheap compared to the performance...
1 2 [Posted by: tony_in_dk  | Date: 01/24/14 06:37:47 PM]

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/663/xvbj.png

Unigene Heaven 2600x1400 on high: 68 FPS!!!!! on the 8-th of november 2013, oc'ed to 1200 on water... no noise or heat problems...

nuf said!

PS: There are many more such screenshots it's not the only guy hitting such incredible overclocks and performance numbers... 2 months + ago!
1 3 [Posted by: tcube  | Date: 01/24/14 07:19:51 PM]

Forgive me, but the results for 1440p specially are somehow off. The performance is just to low compared to some other benches from other forums. The numbers clearly shows some kind of limitation, like CPU or something, but this cannot be... I think.
1 3 [Posted by: TAViX  | Date: 01/24/14 07:05:21 AM]
- collapse thread

In this case, try to think again.
2 2 [Posted by: Jordan  | Date: 01/24/14 07:08:41 AM]

1080p framerates are right on par with my results in BF4 and 3d Mark 2013.
0 2 [Posted by: MHudon  | Date: 01/24/14 09:29:55 AM]

Since these AIBs are mainly used for AAA gaming...

It will be interesting to see the comparisons over the next 6 months as a dozen NEW games come with support for AMD's MANTLE.

When people realize that MANTLE increases performance by 45%, who will want to buy a Nvidia GPU?

2 0 [Posted by: Ken Luskin  | Date: 01/24/14 03:52:53 PM]

Nice review showing how that card throttles as the truth and usless in quiet mode with a ref cooler. But why didnt you OC the TI? The TI pushes way ahead with less voltage needed and even works with a stock cooler. I know mind blown
0 0 [Posted by: Innokentij Morgunov  | Date: 01/25/14 07:35:04 PM]

Personally I see no value on this card, or similar, as long as they cannot put decent fps on full details on 1440p. For 1080p I can easily use older generations with no problem.
0 0 [Posted by: TAViX  | Date: 01/30/14 10:51:00 AM]

[1-7]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment