Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Review: Meet the Maxwell

Started by: Gavric | Date 02/24/14 03:29:12 PM
Comments: 7 | Last Comment:  04/16/14 11:54:59 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-3]

This is one of the "Grade A" articles I've come across on the GTX 750Ti, very nice data adding the AA & non-AA setting. Your conclusion as to not any "breakthrough" in performance, and as you say not a "true gaming card" is a good come away. I think folks need to realize that these tests are with a i7-3970X, hardly a mainstream CPU, so in many cases the minimum Fps you show would drop furthure with a pedestrian CPU. I like how you show all your titles OC'd and the power consumption, your OC provides 13% increase Fps, with only a 4% increase in power... that's really amazing for 12% increase of overall Boost clock. I like that you show how OC isn't any huge bump, hardly provides all that much difference in that 40-50 Fps range, and appeared to not let it achieve higher settings. The predicament... it's no different or par with what the R7 260 can offer... a good entry card, and for that most AIB specials (the bulk of what's out) now commanding $160-180.

Here's my thinking just an "entry gaming" card that's basically the reincarnation of the HD 5670 from 4 years ago. A plug-n-play card that permits medium settings (what was at that time) the mainstream 1680x resolution, today that resolution is clearly 1080p, but now the price has jumped like 110%! It's not progress, it's a 5670 for today... and today entry gaming has a huge price!

When you can get a R7 260X for $120-130 and a Corsair CX430 Modular 80+ Active PFC for $30-40, I'd rather get an efficient PSU and save power all of (more) the time on the whole system, plus enough extra to upgrade a level later. Then figure that most folks don't shut-down, but Sleep the computer AMD's Zerocore would go a long way to evening up the power consumed over a month even with someone gaming as much a 20% of that which is 4.8hr a day. If you game 4.8 hours a day, you're not some entry gaming kid!
0 0 [Posted by: Casecutter  | Date: 03/11/14 04:30:24 PM]

The GTX 750 Ti is a niche card and serves a particular market very well.

Let's take my nephew for instance. He's 15 and has a "hand-me-down" computer that I gave him so that he could do his homework (Core2Quad 9450, 8GIG, 300W power supply).

In addition to doing homework, he wants to start gaming so asks me what he can do. Yes we can swap out his power supply, get something like a 660 and spend a lot of money to get it decent, but he has very limited disposable income.

Enter the GTX750Ti. Requires no 6-pin connector and runs right off the board. Will he be maxing out Metro? Nope. But he can play skyrim and titan fall on above medium settings at 1080.

And just to satisfy my curiosity, I turned his rig into a worker mining litecoin - 270kh/s. Not bad for the power consumption.

The GTX750 Ti is the perfect card to bring some life back into a 5 year old system.
1 1 [Posted by: Kevin L  | Date: 03/14/14 03:53:28 PM]

What market is that... gouging folks!

I got you beat... I've been doing that for my twin 16 year olds for several years. The #1 piece you should base any system on is the PSU, short-change it there and your just inviting trouble. Then if you're hesitant to change a PSU, although willing to mine with it... it will get you! Working from an inefficient and by this point "iffy" PSU, what the 750Ti saves in efficiency mining 24/7, will get off-set by that 65-70% efficient PSU, will likely given the duty "give-up the ghost" at any time. Hope it doesn't take out the PCI-e slot (burnt) along with the new graphics board... I've seen it happen 3 part at once.

I'd like to see what the monthly difference in electrical usage (kw/h) would be with the R7 260X with an average 255kh/s (today you could pay $110 -AR) and using the Corsair CX430 Modular 80+ Active PFC PSU (again today $25 –AR). So would the 6% kh/s increase pay-off a $160 Maxwell ran from a 5 year old 65-70% efficient PSU? Figure you'd see the AMD to breakeven on hardware 15% quicker just for the difference in price. For PSU figuring there 10-15% improved efficiency, that helps toward the offsetting 40% TDP between the cards.

Considering the CPU and the rest of that equipment you gave along with a 65W TDP GPU would calculated to about 265W minimum PSU recommendation. While most often if you use a PSU calculator you'd look for a minimum of 25% buffer (and especially given a 24/7 duty perhaps more) so that 300W PSU is giving you all she's got. I'd grab up a CX430M today!
0 0 [Posted by: Casecutter  | Date: 03/18/14 05:06:09 PM]
- collapse thread

I didn't set this machine up to be a dedicated miner - I just wanted to show its capacity to do it.

Of course swapping a PSU would be the ideal, best and smart thing to do, I will never refute that. But when you have no funds to do that, you have limited options. If you have an old system and want to play titan fall on very close to max settings (after update to 335.23) for $100 in hardware, this is your card.
0 0 [Posted by: Kevin L  | Date: 03/24/14 05:25:16 PM]

"for $100 in hardware" You must mean Euro's... because your not finding any GTX 750Ti for $100 USD! Heck you might get lucky a find a base model here in the State's for $160 USD [117 Euro's]
1 0 [Posted by: Casecutter  | Date: 04/07/14 01:07:04 PM]

Lucky to find one under $200 in Australia, but at that price bracket, I'm looking at a R265, it uses minimal power over the 750Ti but kicks it in games.
0 0 [Posted by: caring1  | Date: 04/16/14 11:54:59 PM]

[1-3]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment