Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
AMD A10-7850K (Kaveri) Review: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Started by: Harry Lloyd | Date 05/13/14 09:26:43 AM
Comments: 25 | Last Comment:  06/21/14 01:17:33 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-17]

Awful CPU performance, great GPU performance.
0 1 [Posted by: Harry Lloyd  | Date: 05/13/14 09:26:43 AM]

It's obvious that Ilya doesn't understand that Kaveri is meant for entry to mid-range level desktop use and thus it's not going to raise the CPU performance bar. What it does is allow PC makers to offer a better product than Intel with integrated graphics for a lower price. THAT is why Kaveri is selling well. Future AMD APUs will address the high end market segment but that isn't what Kaveri was intended to do at all.
3 3 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 05/13/14 09:52:08 AM]
- collapse thread

Ehh nope, Ilya understands exactly what Kaveri is. His conclusion just as a reminder:

"For all that, AMD prices the A10-7850K very high, pitting it against junior Core i5 models which are actually much faster except when we use the integrated graphics. That’s why the A10-7850K seems only to be interesting for users of compact entry-level gaming configurations."
0 2 [Posted by: MHudon  | Date: 05/14/14 02:01:14 PM]

Yes, but seems to miss the point. "For all that, AMD prices the A10-7850K very high, pitting it against junior Core i5 models which are actually much faster except when we use the integrated graphics. That’s why the A10-7850K seems only to be interesting for users of compact entry-level gaming configurations." Is exactly what it was made for.
0 1 [Posted by: Sean Ramey  | Date: 05/15/14 07:28:20 PM]

show the post
0 4 [Posted by: tecknurd  | Date: 05/14/14 08:35:15 PM]

Nope try again ... this *IS THE TOP OF THE AMD LINE CPUAPU*

Congrats...
0 1 [Posted by: amdzorz  | Date: 05/15/14 10:37:46 AM]

show the post
0 4 [Posted by: medo  | Date: 05/14/14 04:05:39 AM]

>>>
It goes without saying that the Kaveri’s integrated graphics is superior to any other, yet it still cannot ensure a playable frame rate in any game at the Full-HD resolution even with low visual quality settings. It must be granted, though, that the A10-7850K delivers a high enough frame rate at 1920x1080 in a number of popular games including some online ones.
<<<
OK, so what's the difference between playable and high enough ?
3 0 [Posted by: Tomas Polakovic  | Date: 05/14/14 04:20:01 AM]

I fail to understand the testing procedure adopted as this processor is sold with an integrate graphics processor surely it is only common sense to test it against similar units with integrated graphics. The addition of an added graphics card shows that the tester is extremely afraid of the the outcome of this processing unit against the other unit being tested if it is tested without a graphics card!
Is undue commercial pressure is been applied? If so then let it be known or is it too damaging to do a fair test of like to like and market segment to market segment and price to price comparison?
It would seem to me and lots of other readers that fear dictates the fairness of most tests by all reviewers as if the giant receives unfavourable test results then advertising is withdrawn from the offending publication not only by the giant but also from other advertisers who have been coerced directly or implied threats.
2 0 [Posted by: tedstoy  | Date: 05/14/14 07:31:10 AM]
- collapse thread

Nice try on the reverse marketing .. thought maybe you had been fired by amd recently.
2 0 [Posted by: amdzorz  | Date: 05/15/14 10:46:34 AM]

Most people know that Intel spends a LOT of money trying to mislead consumers and eliminate any competition. They have been convicted on three continents for illegal bribes, blackmail, intimidation and other violations of law. They also don't pay their U.S. taxes and have been convicted of U.S. tax fraud multiple times. They aren't what any reasonable person would consider good corporate citizens or scrupulous.

That being said I think this review was just a misunderstanding of what Kaveri is and it's intended audience. Anyone who has been involved with PCs for more than five minutes knows that AMD APUs are the gold standard in performance so it's laughable to even discuss the competition because AMD has none at the moment when it comes to APUs.

By not understanding the intended market segment it leads to all sorts of false and inappropriate conclusions based on personal beliefs and expectations. Kaveri is in fact not only an excellent APU it is a game changer for the entire X86 PC industry with HSA and hUMA. This is the way forward for the X86 industry and the majority of PC players are all onboard. Expect Intel to try and copy, change the names of the tech and dissuade any AMD supporters.
5 1 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 05/14/14 09:58:45 AM]
- collapse thread

show the post
0 4 [Posted by: tecknurd  | Date: 05/14/14 09:04:54 PM]

If you believe that APUs are a flop you're going to be VERY disappointed going forward because that is where 90% of the PC market will be in 5 years time.

Why you would conclude that better performance, lower cost and lower power consumption = "a bunch of flop" is unknown but that's what AMD's APUs bring to the table and that is why they are such a sales success. AMD APUs have even been used in high powered servers where they were never intended to be used so if you dislike the benefits of APUs you are in the minority.
5 1 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 05/14/14 10:11:31 PM]

Let me see if I understand the author's proposition. An APU (costing $169.00) that scores 5743 (right between the i7s and the i5s) on Passmark CPU score chart and can play every modern game at 1080p (with R7250 @ $99.00) comparing it to a combination of an i5 ($189.00) and an Nvidia GTX 780 ($519.00), really? I can tell you as the owner of a three year old Llano (who can easily play Battlefield 4 multiplayer at 30+ FPS, as well as Crysis 2 and 3, Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, etc. with its HD6520g intergated graphics) I have no doubt Kaveri will play modern games (perhaps some at 720p) with its integrated graphics, of course, no way could the more expensive i5 do so. I guess that's why the author paired the Kaveri with a graphics card, because the Intel, without one, would get absolutely crushed in gaming benchmarks. So, a $169.00 chip that can game just fine, as well as every other computer task, one which scales even better at lower TDPs is a failure? Really? I must be way off base somewhere because what I've seen and the overwhelmingly positive customer reviews I've read must have it wrong.
9 0 [Posted by: ecstubblebine  | Date: 05/15/14 01:37:44 AM]
- collapse thread

"fan reviews" ... fixed that for you.

change the build to a phenom x4, am3+ and a r270 and the outcome would be the same.. kev = sphincter demolished.
0 0 [Posted by: amdzorz  | Date: 05/15/14 10:48:34 AM]

The fact is there is yet no HSA. To implement and use HSA capabilities the hardware support must be complemented with a compatible software infrastructure which is currently not present even in some basic form. First off, AMD has not yet released an HSA-compatible driver so there’s no talking about any publicly available software. Of course, HSA-enabled applications will come out sooner or later, but we suspect that the Kaveri APUs will have become obsolete by that time. As for today, the Kaveri’s HSA support may only be interesting for software developers who can polish off their future products on this hardware.

All currently available applications with heterogeneous computing support make use of the OpenCL 1.2 API which doesn’t regard processor cores of different types as equivalent to each other. From an ordinary user’s standpoint, the Kaveri is just the same as its predecessor Richland when it comes to hybrid computing
2 0 [Posted by: amdzorz  | Date: 05/15/14 10:35:12 AM]

The senior Kaveri-based model is inferior to the Richland at most types of load. The only exception is 3D modelling but the A10-7850K is a mere 3% ahead of the A10-6800K then. So if you don’t care about integrated graphics, the Kaveri is not a better choice than its predecessor. In fact, even the Core i3-4340, which is substantially cheaper than the A10-7850K, can offer higher performance in everyday applications typical of home and office PCs.
0 1 [Posted by: amdzorz  | Date: 05/15/14 10:50:15 AM]

On the other hand, the A10-7850K is inferior to the discrete Radeon R7 250 cards in this case, irrespective of the type of onboard memory. So the low clock rate also seems to be a problem for the Spectre graphics.
0 1 [Posted by: amdzorz  | Date: 05/15/14 10:51:41 AM]

Lol...in your conclusion you say that it can not deliver FullHD gaming...next sentence "@1920x1080 it delivers a high enough framerate in a number of popular games".

Dude....1080P IS FUllHD.
1 0 [Posted by: Mengede David  | Date: 05/16/14 09:59:51 AM]

Didn't expect such a bad review from Xbitlabs. Kaveri is the best APU so far, but you seemed to have gone the opposite direction that doesn't really show what this APU has to offer.
2 0 [Posted by: Tesla  | Date: 05/16/14 01:37:29 PM]

http://www.kqzyfj.com/cli...%3FItem%3DN82E16819113284

this 160$ 8350 is a better deal... more performance per thread by a WIDE margin.. add in a 260 or 260x and it will cost more but run circles around kev in all but the "2" hsa apps in pre-beta that exist.
0 1 [Posted by: amdzorz  | Date: 05/16/14 04:21:18 PM]

Very thorough review and your conclusions are spot on.
As you say, Kaveri is a niche product that's priced too high ATM.
Concerning power consumption, many motherboards have the option in the BIOS to bypass the TDP limit of the SOC (setting it higher than 95W). Did you experiment with this? And what effect did it have on the clock frequency?
0 2 [Posted by: Milli  | Date: 05/17/14 06:06:01 AM]

So this reviewer misses the boat entirely.

"If you take a chip that was designed around providing a better integrated graphics experience than any other chip in the market and just ignore the iGPU you get poor performance".

Really? Heres my shock face. :|

How about we pair that i5 with an R7 250 and compare it to an A10-7850k with an R7 250 in crossfire?

Or how about just that i5 vs just a Kaveri, no discrete GPU at all?

No one doubts that Intel makes better CPUs in terms of performance. What AMD offers is a better value proposition for those building on a budget as you get a good iGPU with that CPU. One that is worth using.

Worst of all, those Firestrike results are bunk:
Best ever(not stable): http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2054605
and
Best stable: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2150683

Futuremark wasnt detecting system memory frequency correctly. GPU memory bus clock is accurate (remember, x2 for DDR).

Those are with an A10-6800k, not even a Kaveri. Gimme a Kaveri and I bet I can hit 2k, maybe better depending on how the iGPU overclocks (doubt Ill get 1.1ghz, but Id try). Plus I dont have the sick RAM these guys were using (using 2x4 GSkill Sniper 2133 C10). With those Tridents, 2k would be no problem, as memory latency is everything to an iGPU.

I dont have the best score anymore (that goes to a guy who beat my 1423 by 4 freakin points on the same day), but Im up there. Most AMD chips shine with OCing and the APUs are no exception.

Edited to add: For the purposes of this "review", the reviewer might as well have used an Athlon x4 760k. Same CPU as an A10-6800k but without the iGPU. Oh and its $90.
3 0 [Posted by: tdavis  | Date: 05/19/14 06:27:52 PM]

Well this is without doubt one of the worst & most biased reviews of an AMD product. I guess the practice of receiving cash in the envelope from Intel still goes on even today ! Not that Intel is pure of heart. They lost an appear in the EU supreme court last week for anticompetitive practices awarding AMD 1.4 Billion. Which is peanuts given AMD lost 10x that amount in sales. What are the chances of the U.S supreme court finding other cases against Intel ? Answer.....zero. The justice system can be bought by Intel and we all lose. Not that this author is comparing apples to oranges ie Intel 22nm to AMD 28nm ! I have to ask the question how would AMD have done if it was 22nm ? And I doubt the author used win8.1, mantle or any of the latest drivers to test Kaveri on. Lets see how long my comments stay until X-bit removes them.
1 0 [Posted by: albert89  | Date: 06/17/14 02:05:42 PM]

"Well, it hardly even matters since none of AMD’s modern APUs is any good for gaming configurations with discrete graphics."

What a bunch of *****! Over 40 fps or 70 fps in maximum quality. That's an awesome score! Very smooth gameplay. Who the hell is writing those reviews? 15-yo Intel fanboys?
0 0 [Posted by: fanboyshater  | Date: 06/21/14 01:17:33 PM]

[1-17]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment