Information

Dear forum members,
We are delighted to inform you that our forums are back online. Every single topic and post are now on their places and everything works just as before, only better. Welcome back!

Discussion

Discussion on Article:
New LCD Monitors from Samsung. Part II

Started by: anon | Date 06/19/04 02:02:10 AM
Comments: 13 | Last Comment:  10/21/05 03:08:56 PM

Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-3]

Does the 173P come with control software for other systems than Window$?
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 06/19/04 02:47:42 AM]

In case you missed it, only the 173P has no control buttons. The others do have control buttons and the software is just an alternate method. Of course, I do have to agree that making the 173P only accessable from software makes it very undesireable for me.

Most users might not mind, since they run windows boxes and only have one monitor and one computer. For that application it isn't a big loss, and might even be more convenient for people who can set up their monitor and then forget about it. Unfortunately, for people who don't fit this mold, the monitor obviously isn't going to work. Like you, I have two computers attached to my current monitor, and am always switching the input between the two (I have seperate mice and keyboards). Pushing a button on the front of the monitor makes this easy, but fiddling with the software each time I want to switch would be painful. Also, it looks like their current software is windows only, which means that linux and mac users are also out of luck with this monitor.

Overall, I'm suprised they went this route. I'm skeptical that the money they saved on not building the botton interface on the monitor is worth the lost sales from people who can't use their software or will find it too cumbersome. But admittedly, those two groups of people are probably very much in the minority.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 06/19/04 03:59:28 PM]

Oleg, thanks for all these reviews on monitors really imformative.

I have one question, why don't you reduce the bightness setting to 0 BEFORE touching the contrast control? As I see it, the contrast control is a "last resort" because touching it will affect the all important contrast ratio. On the other hand the brightness control will decrease the black level as well as the level of all other colours.

So, is there any reason why you don't achieve 100 nit with 0 brightness + reduced contrast?
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 06/23/04 04:07:58 PM]
- collapse thread

Because with brightness reduced to 0 most monitors doesn't reproduce dark colors properly (on the other hand, with contrast increased to 100% they doesn't reproduce bright colors).
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 06/24/04 08:06:31 AM]

[1-3]

Back to the Article

Add your Comment