Noctua, a leading maker of cooling solutions for personal computers, last week demonstrated a prototype of a microprocessor cooler with active noise cancellation (ANC) technology. The joint project between Noctua and its partner RotoSub, a commercial cooler with ANC, is at a late stage of development and is expected to be released in about a year from now.

The active noise cancellation (ANC) prototypes exhibited at Computex Taipei 2013 demonstrated the progress Noctua has made in its ANC project with RotoSub. While the 120mm ANC fan for watercooling radiators is still at an earlier stage, development on the 140mm CPU cooler project is almost completed. Based on the award-winning NH-D14, the upcoming R-ANC cooler promises to deliver substantial performance improvements over Noctua's current flagship model.

Active noise control (ANC) is a method of reducing unwanted noise by actively generating an anti-sound, cancelling out the noise. The noise, like any sound, is composed of alternating compression and rarefaction phases, which the human ear perceive as sound. By creating an inverted sound, with a rarefaction phase during the noise's compression phase and vice versa, the noise pressure wave is cancelled out, reducing the noise.

RotoSub ANC technology relies on a microphone, a controller, a set of magnets and a coil. When microphone recognizes the noise produced by a fan, it creates a magnetic field which causes migration of the fan blades. The latter issue sounds that cancel the sounds caused by the airflow/fan.

The RotoSub fan solution has an active noise control system built into the fan itself, effectively reducing noise and minimizing extra sizes. No external components are required, the active noise control is contained within the fan itself.

Noctua is now working to implement the RotoSub ANC system in mass production and aims for a release in Q2 – Q3 2014.

Tags: Noctua, RotoSub

Discussion started: 06/14/13 05:49:40 AM
Latest comment: 06/19/13 05:56:26 AM

show the post
0 3 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 06/14/13 05:49:40 AM]

God fucking damn it ! I wanted to do a similar thing but for the entire PC. Since the PC noises are constant / repetitive, a controller with some small speakers could be installed and to just what this system does. Inside the case there will be a mumbo jumbo of noises, but outside the case the sound should be far less audible.
2 0 [Posted by: Herr Spiegellman  | Date: 06/14/13 06:24:26 AM]

Noctua coolers are great products. Not sure how many people who are building their own machines need this though. The video card is by far the loudest thing in there. I can't hear my current Noctua cooler with 2 fans.
1 0 [Posted by: KeyBoardG  | Date: 06/14/13 07:59:55 AM]

what if I told you this techs works for all fans.
you could use it in your water cooling set or on the fans on your GPU. maybe you could even use it on water cooling pumps or electronic component sound (the high pitch noise), laptop, vacuum cleaners.
you could use it on all machines that make sound.
0 0 [Posted by: massau  | Date: 06/15/13 02:18:58 PM]

Looks like it will take the whine but not the whoosh out of the sound. I still appreciate it. Any innovation like this is important in hot climates where temperatures are 28 to 50 degrees, which is all of Australia for 3 - 12 months of the year (depending on how close you are to the equator and Outback). During summer, I often don't switch on my computer during the daytime, only in the early morning and evening due to the heat. To give you a geographical comparison, somewhere like Florida would only be located halfway up the east coast of Australia at about Brisbane.

0 0 [Posted by: linuxlowdown  | Date: 06/14/13 04:48:12 PM]

I agree about the hot climates, I live in Greece. Many people dismiss this as a useless feature but it will make a difference to us with really hot summers... You're right about the "whoosh". I think it's a lot more difficult to get rid of, as it's not being caused just by the fan. It's mostly air rushing through the cooler fins and going in and out from grills and openings in the case. If you have ever held a running fan outside the case, you will notice it makes no noise.
0 0 [Posted by: Mixalis Aggelopoulos  | Date: 06/17/13 02:26:35 AM]

Can you install a similar tech into a vacuum cleaner??
2 0 [Posted by: TAViX  | Date: 06/16/13 08:56:33 AM]

I'm already working on that!

I'm also working on a noise cancelling device to "mute" my wife's yelling when I receive boxes full of PC components!
0 0 [Posted by: MHudon  | Date: 06/18/13 10:11:20 AM]

I just knew there would be MAGNETS in there somewhere !!!
0 0 [Posted by: alpha0ne  | Date: 06/16/13 11:54:21 PM]

that is because you need to generate sound waves to cancel sound waves.
sound waves are generated by vibration, a speaker is literally a magnet with 2 electric cables soldered onto it (+ and -). running a current through the magnet causes it to vibrate which creates sound.
0 0 [Posted by: taltamir  | Date: 06/18/13 09:05:05 PM]

I love Noctua products. Efficient, silent and reliable are the main factors coming to mind when thinking about the brand. I've got NF-P12 fans silently cooling my PC components for years without any faillure.

In Montreal Canada, we experience both end of "extreme climates". From -20 to -30 degrees during winter and 30 to 40 degrees in the summer. Many don't pay enough attention to cooling when buying a PC and experience problems during summer.

I can't wait to compare this new 140mm cooler to my NH-D14.

0 0 [Posted by: MHudon  | Date: 06/18/13 10:25:10 AM]

I can't wait to compare this new 140mm cooler to my NH-D14.

0 0 [Posted by: MHudon  | Date: 06/19/13 05:56:26 AM]

Monday, April 14, 2014

8:23 am | Microsoft Vows to Release Xbox 360 Emulator for Xbox One. Microsoft Xbox One May Gain Compatibility with Xbox 360 Games

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

10:39 am | Microsoft Reveals Kinect for Windows v2 Hardware. Launch of New Kinect for Windows Approaches

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

1:57 pm | Facebook to Acquire Virtual Reality Pioneer, Oculus VR. Facebook Considers Virtual Reality as Next-Gen Social Platform

1:35 pm | Intel Acquires Maker of Wearable Computing Devices. Basis Science Becomes Fully-Owned Subsidiary of Intel

Monday, March 24, 2014

10:53 pm | Global UHD TV Shipments Total 1.6 Million Units in 2013 – Analysts. China Ahead of the Whole World with 4K TV Adoption

10:40 pm | Crytek to Adopt AMD Mantle Mantle API for CryEngine. Leading Game Developer Adopts AMD Mantle

9:08 pm | Microsoft Unleashes DirectX 12: One API for PCs, Mobile Gadgets and Xbox One. Microsoft Promises Increased Performance, New Features with DirectX 12

3:33 pm | PowerVR Wizard: Imagination Reveals World’s First Ray-Tracing GPU IP for Mobile Devices. Imagination Technologies Brings Ray-Tracing, Hybrid Rendering Modes to Smartphones and Tablets

2:00 pm | Nokia Now Expects to Close Deal with Microsoft in Q2. Sale of Nokia’s Division to Close Next Month