Advanced Micro Devices on Friday admitted that it would only begin shipments of products made using 45nm process technology in the fourth quarter of the year. This is a delay from the original schedule to start “volume” production by mid-2008, besides it also means that AMD will have uneasy times delivering better products to the market in Q2 and Q3, 2008.

“We’ll start the production ramp in the summertime and start to ship products in volume in Q4 2008,” said Dirk Meyer, president and chief operating officer at AMD during a conference call with financial analysts.

Back in mid-2006 another high-ranking executive at AMD – Daryl Ostrander, senior vice president and manufacturing and technology, showcased a presentation to investors and financial analysts where he indicated that AMD’s Fab 36 was on-track for volume 45nm production by mid-2008, one and a half years after 65nm and about half a year later than Intel Corp., which started revenue shipments of 45nm products in late 2007.

Historically AMD came with new process technologies about a year later than Intel, but in many cases it did not have any problems with that: the company had superior processor micro-architecture at the days of 130nm, 90nm and 65nm nodes and could offer higher-performance products despite of relatively outdated process technology. But these days AMD cannot boast with clearly superior products and it crucially needs to transit its quad-core AMD Opteron and AMD Phenom processors to thinner process technology to boost performance. Without higher speed products the world’s second largest maker of x86 central processing unit will continue to suffer from pressure of Intel’s superior processor family particularly in Q2 and Q3 2008.

Besides revealing information about the start of volume shipments of the first-generation 45nm products, AMD also said that its next-generation G3 server platform along with octa-core chip code-named Montreal is scheduled to be released in late 2009 or even early 2010.

“We’ll be introducing a new [server] platform architecture later 2009, early 2010,” Mr. Meyer said.

Discussion started: 04/21/08 10:12:22 AM
Latest comment: 04/23/08 09:24:45 PM

AMD = Another Motherf***ing Delay
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 04/21/08 10:12:22 AM]

Riiight, that's why there are new rumors of the AMD Radeon 4800 video cards being ready by END OF MAY! The chips are already in production!
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 04/21/08 02:08:57 PM]

Yeah, that's nice. Nvidia will release their successor architecture to the 8800GTX GPU, the GT200 this Summer.

I will say I'm glad to see that ATI is making an effort anyway.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 04/21/08 03:36:06 PM]

Will the drivers work on Vista?
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 04/21/08 04:24:20 PM]

Back in 2006: Volume 45nm production by MID-2008

Today: Start production Summer 2008, shipping volume Q4 2008.

My thoughts:
- Summer does fall into MID-2008...
- If you really want to nit-pick, they were MAYBE off by a month or two when they made the statement OVER two years ago.
- AMD will have 6 (native) and 12 (2 x 6) core CPUs for early 2009. Then they can phase into 8 core with new generation
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 04/21/08 02:06:20 PM]

This announcement brought to you by: V.P. of AMD Marketing Division --> mamisano

-- Action and results (or a lack there of) speak far more loudly than your perpetual marketing b.s.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 04/21/08 03:28:12 PM]

So what about Intel's incredibly slow 45nm ramp up then? It took 6 months from initial shipments for them to start mass producing using that process node. I think for this quarter they're only shipping 10% 45nm CPUs still.

Of course, it's not like they had any competition to force them to speed up.

And that's why we all need AMD to start performing well again. Otherwise we'd go back to Intel sitting back and bleeding the consumer dry.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 04/21/08 04:27:08 PM]

Always Making Deceits.

I call b.s. on AMD.

BULLSHIT!
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 04/21/08 02:24:08 PM]

Oh God, It just wreaks of shit in here. There is no scent of intelligence in here. I just love the smell of AMD bashing in the morning. /sarcasm

Help, I need a bio-suit.

Yes AMD is in the shits as of now in terms of big money losses, poor intro and performance of products, late releases, and other stuff it is paddling around in.

But oh wow, people these days don't know hot to fucking think before they open their traps. Especially when it comes to issues like this. I wouldn't be surprised if the same people here were bashing on Intel during the netBurst years and when AMD had the performance crown.

Christ . . . I just have to love tech-related bashings, it never gets old.

People, get some IQ points. Be careful, you might slip in your shits.

(Yes, I am very pissed off about this AMD bashing that goes on ever since the Core era started.)
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 04/21/08 08:53:21 PM]

Dear Bitter AMD fanboy. Shuddup.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 04/21/08 09:48:41 PM]

I am not a fanboy what so ever. What kind of fucking accusation is that? I've never bean a fanboy of anything tech related.

I am just pissed off about the constant nagging by ignorant, moronic assholes who can't seem to think before they talk. I guess this universal constant applies to you as well, allyourbasebelongtointel.

Oh and judging by the name you have chosen, it seems that you are a fanboy as well. And yes, I did took the time to read what you typed and your name, unlike what you have done to come to a conclusion about me.

I was pissed about the HD wars because of the constant flame wars, nagging, etc. And now I am pissed off about this AMD can't do shit age.

I may be bitter, but certainly not a fanboy.

Here, I'll hand you some Kleenex so you can wipe the sperm off of Intel's face because it has obviously been pleasing you very well.

I repeat, I am NOT a fanboy. If non of you can see that, get a brain.

I didn't even defend the company itself, just the damned bashing that gets extremely annoying and useless; it doesn't go anywhere. It is the bashing I am criticizing and not the company. I don't even care what AMD will do next now.

Just shut the hell up on the bloody bashing. God damn.

0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 04/22/08 07:14:15 AM]

Shuddup Bitter AMD fanboy.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 04/22/08 10:30:48 AM]

Welcome to the AMD fanboy club!
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 04/22/08 06:05:19 PM]

What the hell are you talking about. I'm not part of ANY fanboy faction. Can any of you morons get that?!

Criticizing the bashing because it is annoying as hell does not equal being a fanboy of the company that is receiving the bashing. I don't even defend AMD, just agreeing on what kind of crap the company is in.

0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 04/22/08 08:06:59 PM]