ATI Technologies has introduced its new technology designed to improve image and video quality on personal computers. The Avivo includes both hardware and software capabilities and will be available on some of ATI’s multimedia products as well as on all next-generation RADEON products, which are to be available in weeks.
“As the world’s leading supplier of reception and display solutions for high end digital televisions, ATI is delivering the world's leading video and display technologies to the PC. ATI's Avivo benefits anyone who edits digital photos, enjoys a home theater PC, or plays PC games,” said Rick Bergman, Senior Vice President, PC Business Unit, ATI Technologies.
The Avivo hardware includes hardware video encoding, decoding, capturing (a special video capturing chip may be needed) as well as output capabilities. While those features have been available on the personal computer (PC) for more than a decade already, Avivo seriously revamps the whole pipeline in a bid to provide high-end consumer electronics quality on the PC.
All digital photo and video files are processed through a series of steps before being displayed on PC monitors. A flaw in any one of these steps will produce a less accurate video or image. ATI’s Avivo refines all of the steps to ensure the best photo and video experience, the company said. Among the main advantages of Avivo ATI noted the following:
- Using today’s current computer architecture, Avivo delivers video playback by supporting hardware MPEG-2 compression, hardware assisted decode of MPEG-2, H.264 and VC-1 video codecs, and advanced display upscaling;
- 64 times the number of colors currently available in current PCs for vibrant images that are more accurate with higher color fidelity with unprecedented 10-bit processing throughout Avivo’s display engine;
- Extreme resolutions, such as 2560x1600 or higher, on the latest digital displays using dual-link DVI, as well as high color depth support over DVI;
- Industry-first advanced up or down resolution scaling for high quality viewing on any flat panel display using ATI’s unique solutions never before implemented on the PC;
- Accurate video capture with features like 3D comb filtering (a feature previously limited to high-end televisions), front-end video scaling, and hardware MPEG video compression;
- True-to-life image reproduction for TV programs with hardware noise reduction and 12-bit analog-to-digital conversion for high-quality video capture;
- Universal connectivity to support standard TV, HDTV, video input and all PC displays via digital (DVI, HDMI) and analog (VGA, Component, S-Video, composite) ports.
Avivo will be an integral component in all of ATI’s upcoming desktop, mobile, chipset, workstation, and software products, according to the company.