As we have already reported we should witness the launch of a few new Nvidia graphics cards from the GeForce 9800 series. GeForce 9800 GX2 dual-chip solution should be launched on March 18, and a single-chip GeForce 9800 GTX that comes to replace GeForce 8800 GTX is scheduled to launch on March 25. As you remember, the major advantage of GeForce 9800 GTX over the predecessors is the support of 3-Way SLI technology and the use of a GPU manufactured using more up-to-date 65nm technological process.

Some slides leaked today from the GeForce 9800 GTX presentation and therefore we can reveal new details on this promising solution. First of all, these slides confirmed the specs of the card. The GPU core frequency will be 675MHz, 128 shader processors will work at 1688MHz. The card will be equipped with 512MB GDDR3 SDRAM working at 1100MHz.

GeForce 9800 GTX will feature one 6-pin power connector and its peak power consumption will equal 156W. The reference design of the graphics card PCB will offer two Dual-Link DVI outs and one HDMI connector. The recommended retail price of GeForce 9800 GTX based cards will lie between $299 and $349.

The newcomer should replace GeForce 8800 GTX, while the GeForce 8800 Ultra should give way to a dual-chip candidate - GeForce 9800 GX2. According to the slides, GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB will not be replaced with anything new in Q1 and will continue shipping.

The forecast regarding the scalability of GeForce 9800 GTX performance in different types of SLI configurations states that the use of a second graphics card will increase the performance by 70%-90% or more, while the third graphics card will sometimes push the system by more than 150% above the performance level of s single graphics card. As always, the actual contribution from the third graphics card is relatively modest rarely going beyond 50-60%.

Discussion started: 03/13/08 07:30:04 PM
Latest comment: 04/03/08 02:52:07 PM

Lol, nVidiots!!!!!
looks like a mildly OC'd 8800GTS 512mb.
nvidia ftw...? i do not think so
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 03/13/08 07:30:04 PM]

NERDS!!!!!
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 03/14/08 03:32:07 PM]

NVDA kicks ATI out of the building, again.

AMD should have left ATI alone.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 03/16/08 08:40:28 AM]

I'm thinking of getting a pair of these to replace my two 8800 Ultras. I have 4 GB of RAM installed in my system but my OS (Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit) only detects 2814 MB. From my understanding, reducing the total amount of graphics RAM in my system should free up more of my installed RAM to be detected and used by the OS. I currently have 2x768 MB of graphics RAM between my two 8800 Ultras. A pair of 9800 GTX (which should be called 8900 GTX since there really is no GeForce 9800, as mentioned above) will reduce my total to 1024 MB of graphics RAM, thus freeing up more system RAM for use by Windows, because 32-bit Windows is weird that way.

Of course, my final decision will depend on seeing some benchmarks to let me know what percentage performance increase I will get in terms of frame rates.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 03/20/08 04:55:02 PM]

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

10:40 pm | ARM Preps Second-Generation “Artemis” and “Maya” 64-Bit ARMv8-A Offerings. ARM Readies 64-Bit Cores for Non-Traditional Applications

7:38 pm | AMD Vows to Introduce 20nm Products Next Year. AMD’s 20nm APUs, GPUs and Embedded Chips to Arrive in 2015

4:08 am | Microsoft to Unify All Windows Operating Systems for Client PCs. One Windows OS will Power PCs, Tablets and Smartphones

Monday, July 21, 2014

10:32 pm | PQI Debuts Flash Drive with Lightning and USB Connectors. PQI Offers Easy Way to Boost iPhone or iPad Storage

10:08 pm | Japan Display Begins to Mass Produce IPS-NEO Displays. JDI Begins to Mass Produce Rival for AMOLED Panels

12:56 pm | Microsoft to Fire 18,000 Employees to Boost Efficiency. Microsoft to Perform Massive Job Cut Ever Following Acquisition of Nokia