Regardless of of the fact that ATI, graphics business unit of Advanced Micro Devices, has not introduced its own set of devices to support stereoscopic 3D technology, which is making inroads into the market, the graphics chips developer believes that the modern stereo-3D (S3D) is actually here to stay.

“I feel graphics technology is now powerful enough to drive an incredible S3D experience. The big question is whether it will have mass market appeal while glasses remain a requirement.  Will people balk at the $100 + price of active shutter glasses? I believe S3D is here to stay, and will grow in the coming years,” said Neal Robison, the director of ISV relationship management at AMD in an interview with X-bit labs.

Nvidia Corp., the arch rival of ATI, introduced its 3D Vision technology (which enables stereo-3D on select PCs) long ago, but without much success though. AMD’s graphics division seems to preserve an “open” way with Blu-ray Association (BDA), which is more than conservative .

“We have dveloped the quad-buffer capability required to support stereoscopic 3D games, so 3rd party middleware vendors can output stereo L/R images at 120 Hz (60 Hz per eye). At GDC this past March we announced our Open Stereo 3D Initiative and our intent to work with ecosystem partners, encourage cooperation and standards development with industry-wide participation to ultimately provide customers with more choice in interoperable hardware and software.

The whole interview with Neal Robison, Richard Huddy and David Hoff of AMD is set to be published at X-bit labs in the coming days.

Tags: ATI, AMD, Radeon

Discussion started: 06/19/10 02:26:45 PM
Latest comment: 06/21/10 03:22:48 PM

So they finally believe in 3D...awesome...I have been "living" my games in 3D for a while now thanks to 3d vision...cant wait to see what all ATI fanboys that dis 3D vision have to say now....I am sure 3d is going to be cool for them now...
0 0 [Posted by: shaolin95  | Date: 06/19/10 02:26:45 PM]

let me brake it down for you :
propitiatory 3d still not cool.
open 3d cool.
0 0 [Posted by: Countess  | Date: 06/21/10 03:16:01 AM]

Congratulations, enjoy your *proprietary* and *expensive* Nvidia 3D Stereoscopics solution.
0 0 [Posted by: bereft  | Date: 06/21/10 03:22:48 PM]

I think 3D would be great and am really looking forward to it being practical. One of the (many) reasons I picked up my 5850 was for 3D capabilities in the future. Rumor had it, it was to be supported, and I guess it is with 3rd party support. I might hold off for a while until we start to see a dominate type of 3D, or 'no glasses' 3D, or in my case, cheap 3D. That would be awesome on a TV. I do like that although AMD doesn't have its own format, it hasn't made an attempt to block any other type, unlike certain other companies with other technologies.....
0 0 [Posted by: csimmo  | Date: 06/20/10 11:05:19 PM]

Thursday, August 21, 2014

10:59 pm | Khronos Group to Follow DirectX 12 with Cross-Platform Low-Level API. Khronos Unveils Next-Generation OpenGL Initiative

10:33 pm | Avexir Readies 3.40GHz DDR4 Memory Modules. DDR4 Could Hit 3.40GHz This Year

12:10 pm | AMD to Lower Prices of A-Series APUs for Back-to-School Season. New Prices of AMD A-Series APUs Revealed

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

10:53 am | AMD to Cut Prices on FX-9000, Other FX Processors: New Prices Revealed. AMD to Make FX Chips More Affordable, Discontinue Low-End Models

10:32 am | LG to Introduce World’s First Curved 21:9 Ultra-Wide Display. LG Brings Curved Displays to Gamers, Professionals

9:59 am | AMD Readies FX-8370, FX-8370E Microprocessors. AMD Preps Two New “Mainstream” FX Chips