Kingston Technology, the world’s largest producer of memory modules, has demonstrated a desktop system with 24GB of system memory. The company plans to ship the appropriate memory module kit under its “ValueRAM” brand (the kit will not be value) late in the year for those, who uses extremely demanding software or runs several virtual machines on desktops.

In order to demonstrate its 4GB unbuffered DDR3 memory modules, Kingston used system based on Intel Core i7 920 central processing unit, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 as well as an Nvidia GeForce graphics card. The system had VMware workstation turned on, along with 9 VM clients and a copy of Crysis.

The demo demonstrated rather obvious: when ten computers are running on one desktops, they consume a lot of memory and even 24GB will be consumed. There are a number of professional software applications that may potentially benefit from so high amount of memory, but there are not a lot of end-users who would run them on single-socket machine at home.

Six Kingston’s 4GB unbuffered DDR3 SDRAM memory modules operated at 1079MHz with CL7 7-7-20 latency settings in triple-channel mode. The single-sided models are based on 4Gb memory chips made using 50nm process technology recently unveiled by Samsung Electronics, hence, this is the world’s first public demo of the rather revolutionary DRAMs.

Kingston said that 24GB memory kits will be available late in 2009. The company did not reveal the price of the kit, but said that the set of modules based on engineering samples cost around $2000 to manufacture.

High-definition video of the demonstration is available here

Tags: Kingston, DDR3, Samsung, 50nm

Discussion started: 02/25/09 08:33:39 PM
Latest comment: 07/04/09 05:01:21 AM

24GB? Yeah right. Even 4GB are more than enough for now. And besides, Win7 will have even lower req. than Vista, so personaly I see 4GB for another 1-2 years, at least until Win8 will merge and will be a truly fully functional 64bit OS, not like the ones from now which cannot run 60% of the games and applications...
0 0 [Posted by: TAViX  | Date: 02/25/09 08:33:39 PM]

Well that's your point of view, I have a different one... My current computer has Xp64 and 8Gb RAM. I frequently run out of memory when running ICA on EEG data.
So yes that's a professional aplication.
I for my part am quite happy with XP64, works like XP32 for almost everything I care about and the stuff I am doing just won't be possible without the memory.
I am thinking of updating to a Corei7 system but with a max of 12GB with the modules one can get today - no way.
24Gb? Now we are talking.
0 0 [Posted by: mschira  | Date: 02/26/09 03:12:09 AM]

I was talking from the average Joe point of view. Those users including me, are 95% of the users using the PC for Multimedia, Games, Office work and 2D or 3D Design. For them 24GB at this moment is overkill.
0 0 [Posted by: TAViX  | Date: 02/27/09 12:06:04 AM]

Just about month ago i was thinking about how to make my computer faster at work (I have 2 virtual machines running on my pc and the HDD is the annoying bottleneck).
I thought of the solution of running the virtual machines off a ramdisk. But these computers at work only have 4 ram-slots and 16 GB is barely enough for the machines. 24 is enough but a full system upgrade is probably out of the question...
0 0 [Posted by: uibo  | Date: 02/27/09 08:50:50 AM]

$2000+ is a bit much.

I've wondered recently about using a RAM-disk for games to cut load times, but it probably wouldn't even work for all games, as some of them make a data cache somewhere in the Documents and Settings sys folder.
Then there's the inconvenience of saving the partition image and loading it each time after reboot...
A VelociRaptor for the OS and games would probably work better.

Anyway, I still think it would be neat if game devs would make it possible to get near-instant load times on a PC with enough RAM. >_>

btw. uibo: there does exist a DDR2-based SSD: http://www.acard.com/english/fb0101.jsp?type1_idno=13
Expensive, and "only" 400MB/s at best, but holds data during power-off, and doesn't wear out with writes.
0 0 [Posted by: robaal  | Date: 02/27/09 11:13:51 AM]

Well but that RAM isn't meant for those 95%. That's fine. Actually I agree with you most people won't care. But a few do - probably even less than the 5%... But I think enough people need it to make a market for these modules.
Not having to go for a server platform with plenty RAM sockets saves TONS of money and problems. So these modules will save a lot of money.
The "average power user" like photographers video editing or programmers will probably be fine with 4-8Gb and a nice 64 bit OS - maybe win 7. As I said, winXP 64 works very well for me - no complaints I am not missing a single program, there is nothing that doesn't work fine. When getting hardware (i,e, web cam or scanner!) one has to carefully choose, but else - no hitch.

0 0 [Posted by: mschira  | Date: 02/28/09 03:06:49 AM]