ATI Technologies announced the sampling production of the IMAGEON 2260, a multimedia processor that brings high quality video and imaging capabilities to mobile phones.
IMAGEON 2260 enables the convergence between communication handsets and digital still cameras and video player/recorders. IMAGEON 2260 is a highly integrated multimedia co-processor that offers handset manufacturers an opportunity for significant power, space and material cost reductions.
The IMAGEON 2260 offers fully self-contained graphics, video and imaging capabilities to complement communication base-band solutions. It enables high-quality video playback, video recording, two-way video conferencing and 1MP digital camera.
IMAGEON 2260 is fully compliant with industry-led 3GPP standards (3rd Generation Partnership Project) and offers the following features:
- Support for high-quality MMS (Multimedia Messaging Services);
- Still picture capture and processing (JPEG encode and decode) with support for high-resolution (megapixel) camera modules;
- Video recording, playback or streaming up to 352x288, 30fps, plus simultaneous encode and decode for video conferencing;
- Advanced 2D graphics acceleration;
- Integrated frame buffer and LCD controller for space, cost and power saving.
ATI's IMAGEON 2260 media co-processor is currently sampling. Mass production shipments will start in the second quarter of the year.