Just over a year ago a smartphone with a 5”-class screen was considered weird. Today, Samsung Galaxy Note family of hybrid handsets is a pretty popular series. But Samsung reportedly wants to create a device that would be a clear edge between smartphones and tablets and is currently working on the third-generation Galaxy Note devices with ultra-large 6.3” screen.

Samsung is developing Galaxy Note III smartphone with a 6.3” screen using AMOLED technology, according the Korea Times web-site. No other details are known at present, it is even unclear whether the AMOLED screen will be made of bendable/unbreakable materials, a rumoured breakthrough feature of Samsung’s next-gen smartphones, or will feature the well-known Corning Gorilla glass 2.

It is pretty hard to believe into a 6.3” smartphone as it would never fit into any pocket and would never be comfortable to use as a phone because of the weight and dimensions. At the same time, it is also hard to believe into a 6.3” media tablet, as it would hardly be competitive against 7”-class devices. Still, the rumour has it: Samsung is working on a device with a 6.3” AMOLED screen that can make calls.

“The larger screen sizes make a significant difference to the user’s experience when compared to conventional-sized touchscreens between 3.5" to 4". Additionally, new phablet-styled devices provide an attractive two-in-one device proposition and are beginning to see the competition between these larger smartphone form-factors and media tablets with less than 7" screens," said Joshua Flood, a senior analyst at ABI Research earlier this year.

Global smartphone unit shipments will soar to around a billion units in 2015, more than double from around 500 million in 2011, according to some market observers. Based on prediction from ABI, 20% of smartphones will have screens larger than 4.6".

Samsung did not comment on the news-story.

Tags: Samsung, Galaxy, Galaxy Note, Android, Google

Discussion started: 12/14/12 06:05:04 PM
Latest comment: 12/25/12 07:31:36 PM

I want it! It would fit in my coat pocket easily. Obviously not most people's jeans, but I predict it will be very popular.
14 1 [Posted by: beck2448  | Date: 12/14/12 06:05:04 PM]

Not useful in hot climates where jackets are barely worn - Good for Europe and Nth America. Bad for Africa, most of Asia, Australia and the Middle East.
9 1 [Posted by: linuxlowdown  | Date: 12/15/12 01:51:29 AM]

I carry the Note in my pant's back-pocket. No problem at all. I figure my pocket can carry an even bigger smartphone. I'm Asian. I want the biggest phone I can put in my pocket. More screen estate, more information can be viewed.
2 0 [Posted by: R6ex  | Date: 12/17/12 07:42:36 AM]

This model is definitely getting my purchase attention. Nice blend for size and functionality for its class
11 0 [Posted by: vanakkuty  | Date: 12/15/12 01:55:47 AM]

I was short of against big screens, but after moving from 3" to 4" recently I do catch myself thinking about needing a bigger screen.

I carry a bag around all the time so it could be no problem for me to have my phone in there and use a wireless bluetooth hands free.
3 0 [Posted by: nitro912gr  | Date: 12/16/12 05:39:52 AM]

Having 6.3" in your pants could attract the attention of some of the ladies, but actually handling that size in public would just be wrong IMHO

0 0 [Posted by: alpha0ne  | Date: 12/20/12 07:01:06 PM]

Galaxy Note 345 in 16:10 screen
Galaxy S 45 in 16:9 screen

would be perfect on marketing position.
0 0 [Posted by: eq10k  | Date: 12/25/12 07:31:36 PM]