Without any doubts, Apple iPad Air is the most significant thing that happened to iPad since the original iPad. The new tablet offers higher performance, improved functionality, is lighter, thinner and smaller. However, Steve Wozniak, a co-founder of Apple, is not impressed with the novelty. All he wants from a slate is more storage.

"I am constantly following the gadget world but I was on a plane and missed all of the keynote but when I finally took a look at the devices, the iPads did not hit my needs. Yes it is thinner but I wanted storage. I do not have broadband at home, so I carry all my personal media in the iPad. So I was hoping Apple has a 256GB iPad. So I emailed my wife and said I did not want one of those,” said Steve Wozniak during his speech at Apps World conference in London, England, reports TechRadar.

Since NAND flash memory is not truly expensive these days, Apple could easily introduce an iPad with 256GB or even more storage. The problem is that the company earns very high profit margins on iPads that have more than 16GB of memory. For example, iPad Air 16GB costs $499, whereas the same iPad Air with 128GB of memory is priced at whopping $799. It is clear that 112GB of NAND flash do not cost $300. A hypothetical 256GB iPad Air would cost $899 (or $1029 for a WiFi + cellular model), a price-tag that is just too high for a slate. Perhaps, Apple will introduce a tablet with 256GB of memory, but in that case it will have to increase minimum size to 32GB.

It should be noted that at present there are no media tablets with 256GB of onboard storage.

Tags: Apple, iPad, iOS

Discussion started: 10/25/13 09:34:28 PM
Latest comment: 10/27/13 03:47:38 PM

Thank you, Apple PR dept.
2 1 [Posted by: bluvg  | Date: 10/25/13 09:34:28 PM]

Surface comes with up to 512 GB... just sayin'. I take it that it's not considered a "media tablet." If they could shave some of the weight and chunkiness, though... c'mon, Microsoft, give us a Bay Trail option!!
4 0 [Posted by: bluvg  | Date: 10/25/13 09:38:29 PM]

C'mon Microcrap, gives us Temash with superior graphics for media and games.
0 2 [Posted by: linuxlowdown  | Date: 10/26/13 06:30:13 AM]

Unlike Steve, I do not need masses of storage built in.
128G is excessive for my needs, I would however like the inclusion of a USB port and 3G as standard.
0 0 [Posted by: caring1  | Date: 10/27/13 03:47:38 PM]

Monday, April 14, 2014

8:23 am | Microsoft Vows to Release Xbox 360 Emulator for Xbox One. Microsoft Xbox One May Gain Compatibility with Xbox 360 Games

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

10:39 am | Microsoft Reveals Kinect for Windows v2 Hardware. Launch of New Kinect for Windows Approaches

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

1:57 pm | Facebook to Acquire Virtual Reality Pioneer, Oculus VR. Facebook Considers Virtual Reality as Next-Gen Social Platform

1:35 pm | Intel Acquires Maker of Wearable Computing Devices. Basis Science Becomes Fully-Owned Subsidiary of Intel

Monday, March 24, 2014

10:53 pm | Global UHD TV Shipments Total 1.6 Million Units in 2013 – Analysts. China Ahead of the Whole World with 4K TV Adoption

10:40 pm | Crytek to Adopt AMD Mantle Mantle API for CryEngine. Leading Game Developer Adopts AMD Mantle

9:08 pm | Microsoft Unleashes DirectX 12: One API for PCs, Mobile Gadgets and Xbox One. Microsoft Promises Increased Performance, New Features with DirectX 12

3:33 pm | PowerVR Wizard: Imagination Reveals World’s First Ray-Tracing GPU IP for Mobile Devices. Imagination Technologies Brings Ray-Tracing, Hybrid Rendering Modes to Smartphones and Tablets

2:00 pm | Nokia Now Expects to Close Deal with Microsoft in Q2. Sale of Nokia’s Division to Close Next Month