Steve Jobs Vowed to Launch Thermonuclear War Against Android

Former Head of Apple Treated Google Android as "Grand Theft"

by Anton Shilov
10/20/2011 | 11:57 PM

Steve Jobs, the co-founder and the chief executive of Apple who passed away earlier this month, did not want to settle any lawsuits against manufacturers of smartphones based on Google Android operating system as he considered the OS as a grand theft of Apple's ideas. The legendary head of Apple was willing to launch a "thermonuclear war" against the competing platform.

 

"I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this," Steve Jobs told his biographer Walter Isaacson in one of the interviews, reports Associated Press.

Rumours about Google Phone started to circulate about the same time as rumours about Apple's iPhone. Google officially introduced the Android operating system in late 2007, several months after Apple started to sell its iPhone. Interestingly, but the concept of the original iPhone when it comes to software is vastly different from that on the current models as Apple changed the concept from web-based applications to local applications and did some other tweaks too.

Obviously, there are a lot of similarities between Apple's iOS and Google's Android, which made Mr. Jobs furious. In fact, he openly refused to settle and told that to Eric Schmidt, former chief executive officer of Google. The result is well known, Apple is in the middle of the patent war against HTC and Samsung Electronics.

"I don't want your money. If you offer me $5 billion, I won't want it. I've got plenty of money. I want you to stop using our ideas in Android, that's all I want," Mr. Jobs told the former Google chief.

Steve Jobs book by Walter Isaacson will become available on Monday, 24th of October, 2011.