LG Electronics this week said that it will introduce the industry’s first curved display with 21:9 aspect ratio for gamers and professionals at IFA 2014 trade-show in Berlin, Germany, next month. While the monitor will be truly unique, its market success is rather questionable.

LG’s flagship IPS 21:9 Curved UltraWide Monitor is a complete monitor solution, equally suited to the needs of professional users and home entertainment enthusiasts with extra screen real estate so users can get more done in less time, according to the manufacturer. The LG 34UC97 has screen resolution of 3440*1440, so it will not be suitable for ultra-high-definition video, but should be good for gaming, full-HD video, photographs and so on. The display has 178-degrees viewing angle, so it should be pretty comfortable to use. The monitor supports various connectivity options, including Thunderbolt 2, and is compatible with PCs and Macs. The 34UC97 integrates Maxx Audio and 7W stereo speaker system.

“Many people spend more time in front of computer monitors than they do in front of TV sets and yet the industry’s biggest monitor manufacturers don’t seem to innovate at the same pace as TV manufacturers,” said Hyoung-sei Park, head of the IT business division at LG Electronics’ home entertainment company. “At LG, innovation in display technologies isn’t just limited to our market-leading TV products but are actively being implemented in our advanced PC monitors. And that’s why we’re particularly proud to be introducing at IFA the world’s first 21:9 Curved UltraWide monitor with a curved IPS display which delivers a wide 178-degree viewing angle for an immersive viewing experience.”

Although the LG 21:9 curved ultra-wide monitor offers a unique propositions for gamers, it is unclear whether professionals will actually use it as well. Curved monitors are something completely new for the market, hence, people who earn money edition photos and videos will likely take conservative approach and will hardly adopt the product from LG. While gamers and home entertainment enthusiasts are more likely to buy the LG 21:9 curved ultra-wide monitor, since it does not support 4K resolution (3840*2160) and/or high refresh rates, its popularity among these types of people is also not guaranteed.

Tags: LG, 21:9, IPS 21:9 Curved UltraWide Monitor, 21:9 Curved UltraWide Monitor, 3440*1440

Discussion started: 08/21/14 07:42:24 AM
Latest comment: 10/27/14 07:03:52 AM

i'm not a fan of curved TV's myself I've seen them on display and they have a fish bowl like look to them.
0 1 [Posted by: SteelCity1981  | Date: 08/21/14 07:42:24 AM]

Curved monitors make more sense to me than TVs or smartphones but will have to try one to find out for sure...
2 0 [Posted by: John Alexander Butler Temple-Cox  | Date: 08/22/14 06:20:00 PM]

I hardly think that most of us are even thinking about 4k monitors. Or will be for years to come. I know you guys love new toys to write articles about, but realistically, affordable video cards cannot game at that res, and while I do many things with my computer and monitor, if it cannot do games well at nice FPS numbers, its pretty disappointing to me. So 4k monitors are probably NOT going to be mainstream for 5 years or so, in my opinion.

I happen to own a 29 inch 21:9 monitor, and just am blown away by how much easier it is to get things done when working with documents and spreadsheets. My monitor is only 2560x1080, but if I had the choice today to buy another monitor, I would again choose a 21:9, but in a larger size than mine is.

Based on the model number, it looks like the one in this article is going to be a 34 inch model. An extra 5 inches of diagonal screen space at a higher res would most certainly be interesting to me. I want to see this monitor in use.

The curved part at least without seeing it is something that has my curiosity up, but not something that I would say I was dreaming about having. But I also wouldn't say that it should hurt things either. Only seeing it in use would answer the questions I have.

And obviously where they price it was be a huge factor as well.
0 0 [Posted by: The Old Fart  | Date: 08/27/14 07:44:50 PM]

My own exclusive carnal alongside heighten in rule to previous i very growing you mind lump unimportant that could along beside Sum of us bear got obtained an mortal or women about upwards keeping in arrangement to appeal bereft renovate procreates an particular distribute. Las Vegas Strippers
0 0 [Posted by: Raghav Dadhich  | Date: 10/27/14 07:03:52 AM]