Just in case customers were sure that Blu-ray disc (BD) profile 2.0 was the final one for the format, Sony Corp. said that it would be glad to add further features would add features that will further differentiate Blu-ray from DVD, but which may potentially involve a new profile and hardware changes.

“If we had a dream (for) Blu-ray, it would be much more interactive than it is today: No. 1, where you could interface and change things as you want to see them on the screen. No. 2, you could socially interact with other people, it’s connected through the Internet, but theoretically you and your friend could watch the same movie, and you could change themes, change endings, all sorts of strange things in the future. Some type of social interaction in the future,” said Stan Glasgow, president and chief operating officer of Sony Electronics USA, in an interview with Cnet.

The Blu-ray disc (BD) format features three profiles: 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0. The BD profile 1 only allows to watch movies in high-definition (1920x1080, 1080p) resolution; the BD profile 1.1 supports picture-in-picture function, which allows to watch a 1080p movie while simultaneously listening to director’s comments or see how the particular scene was filmed; the BD profile 2.0 (also known as BD Live) is projected to offer Internet connectivity to allow downloading of additional content as well as Java-based games in addition to some other Java-based features that content providers may enable.

It is unclear whether the additional features will require a new profile, but another hardware change may further slowdown penetration of the format. Still, Sony is relatively optimistic about the progress of the format right now, but the company admits that those customers who are satisfied with DVD will hardly acquire Blu-ray shortly.

“DVD took 10 years to really penetrate. We’re now in the second year of Blu-ray. My guess is it will probably happen a little quicker in terms of penetration. The pricing is already coming down more quickly than DVD came down. The pricing is already coming down more quickly than DVD came down. I don't think it will take as long as 10 years, but I don't think it will penetrate to the same percentage because there's a couple of conflicting forces,” said Mr. Glasgow.

Discussion started: 07/04/08 04:17:25 PM
Latest comment: 07/27/08 02:44:34 AM

great soon they will have caught up to what hd-dvd had 2 yrs ago....
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/04/08 04:54:20 PM]

Whatever dude... HD-DVD IS DEAD
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/05/08 01:20:37 PM]

and blu is on life support...
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/06/08 06:58:20 PM]

Great for Sony doing so.

However, we all know that physical discs will become obsolete soon when internet bandwidth is getting faster and cheaper for videos and music. (FIOS anyone?)

With that kind of speed growing everyday, HD streaming will become very common soon.

I will expect other physical media like HDD SSD and others will still be here for a long time to come.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/04/08 08:52:21 PM]

But those internet deliverable isn't really an asset u can see. If u really love those moives u'll buy a hardcopy from HMV.

Also, remind u that optical media is transferable. What will happen if ur Apple TV ran out of order with completely data loss?
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/04/08 08:58:35 PM]

How can you even talk about discs becoming obsolete when there are still lots of people who barely have a functioning telephone?
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/05/08 05:59:16 AM]

@ehm
I never mentioned anything about telephones nor did I imply any direction to them.

@No.Sorry!
I am thinking about the future about the internet and it capabilities. It is being used for telephones, movies, and television shows and whole list of other things.

BitTorrent and other P2P protocols are accelerating this movement to get content that users want on demand from the internet.

HDD's are getting bigger, you can get terabyte drives for not a whole lot. Withing 2012, 5 Terabyte drives will be possible.

Therefore, people can not only stream HD content but also keep them. Whether they paid for that content or not.

I see some HD media on torrents already but still difficult to verify them. And with HD copy protection being so weak, more and more HD media will be flooded on the internet.

And I did not mention Apple TV but if I did, it makes sense if one backs up their data, just like any other piece of storage technology. And I can't really comment further on that since I hardly know anything about it.

I also foretell other services that will move television broadcasting from the air and space onto optical territory to people's computers. Many people are already connecting their PC's to their cable/satellite setups to record and watch their content. HTPC's are always growing quickly because people can get the movies from online services like Blockbuster Online and that other service of which I can't remember the name. BitTorrent is also used for that manner. And mind you, many HD projectors and LCD/Plasma panels are fairly PC friendly.

Technology changes everyday and some of those technologies will simply become obsolete because it has been replaced with something more efficient, faster, and sleeker. Wonder why we don't have any more vacuum tubed powered computer that fills entire gyms that can only do calculations that my TI-83 Plus can do with no sweat.

Vinyl used to be huge way before I was born. But it is slowly being replaced by optical media and digital formats like mp3 or ogg. Vinly is also taking a hit from Digital Vinyl Systems for DJ's, such as Traktor or Serato Scratch Live. These systems make it so much easier for the DJ to transport their MP3's because they don't have to carry their crates around. Paul Van Dyk has been seen using Serato on his Macs during live performances. Vinyl will slowly disappear because of what is mentioned above and many more that is not.

(Don't want to go into the debate of which one sounds better because that is just stupid. The human ear can only hear so much)

Optical media will still exist, but not for long. I am not saying the optical discs will be gone by 5 years, but soon enough for you and I to see the total transition to the internet.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/05/08 11:16:29 AM]

I only know that HTPC can never match up with HiFi/HiVi equipments in quality

Also, many of dad and mum know nth on internet.All ur points are dismissed from this point!
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/06/08 07:55:47 PM]

You are forgetting that man High-end audio and visual products such as Goldmund can be use with PCs. It is also possible to use the PC as media server to play your media on your high-end equipment.

You don't have to use the PC as an audio and/or visual source, only a storage platform.

Besides, your point is invalid because I am referring to the majority of people who own HTPC don't have high-end stuff that you may refer to. I never mentioned quality of HTPCs.

And more of the older generation are getting into the "fast-lane" of things. A 70 years old father of one the writers over at Kotaku plays games such as GTA 4.

"In the picture below is some of the hidden Golmund equipment. For those interested in high-definition gaming, Goldmund had setup a $5,000 PC (unfortunately, running Microsoft Windows) complete in a NVIDIA Quad SLI configuration for superior graphics."

Even a multi-million dollar home theatre room uses a PC.

Lastly, the human ear can only see and hear so much. Unless one can experience sound and visual inputs as graphs and numbers, a regular 5.1 Home theatre system with a HD screen connected to a PC will do just fine for a large population because they don't have magical ears of eyes and don't care for solid gold connectors and they can't afford cabling that is $1000 dollars that is only a meter in length.

0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/06/08 08:41:42 PM]

the pc or atleast a similar type of storage medium for audio is clearly here to stay..

the only thing i really want Sony to add to their standard is the new Pioneer 16 layer 400Gb Blu-ray discs.. just add some 100 & 200Gb discs too and we have a good backup solution thats been needed for sometime.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/07/08 06:16:47 AM]

Goldmund so what?
It clearly shows that u know nth on high end!
With BluRay disc, who need ur crappie PC for storage?

Even with the mainframe/server market, optical jukebox are commonly utilized to store important data becox of her reliability over disc and tape! It's completely a joke when u tell me we should use crappie PC as permanent storage solution. U should learn more before speaking over here!

No one will take the risk to store your audio/video into crappie PC HDDs. Becox no one can garantee that ur H.264 files stored in ur HDD still can be accessible after 10 yrs! Using PC as storage simply put your investment of audio/video contents at mountain high risk! For many ppl, their investment on audio/video contents is far more than their playback hardware!

With Pioneer released 400GB BluRay disc. All ur non-sense bullshits don't stay in water! Also, u need at least gigabit internet connection in order to transfer BluRay quality HD video/audio which is encoded at over 50+Mbps bitrates!
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/07/08 03:52:59 PM]

God dammit.

Goldmund sells ultra high-end gear that costs way more than my house.

And of course I know little about ultra-high end audio/visual gear because I don't have the funds nor the interest in that type of gear.

And if you think PC's are "crappie" for permanent storage solution, then why the hell are you using a PC to store you stuff? You have an OS permanently on your drive, don't you? (Unless you format)

Many people who build up libraries of DVD's rip them up and store them on terabyte drives on systems they build themselves or on ready-made solutions (NAS for example) that are reliable because they would obviously do a good amount of research into them because they care for their media.

And I do learn before I speak. Just saying that people have easier access to HDDs than optical jukeboxes. Many servers/data centers/mainframes still use HDDs as well, on top of other numerous storage solutions. Some still use tapes.

You also forget that HDDs are built very well and can store data for an extremely long time. Of course HD media will still be accessible 10 years after. PC's are still valid solutions for storage. And there is something called making multiple backups of your media if you are so paranoid about losing them. Also keeping the originals locked up somewhere.

"After 5 tests, none could determine which was the Monster 1000 cable or the coat hanger wire."

And there is always risk in ANY storage medium you choose that will render the information being corrupted. I can easily go over to a jukebox and spill my coffee on it. Or go and shoot one. Boom, info gone. (I know, exaggeration)

And you alluding to tech that my friends nor I can't easily get their hands or mine on.

And please, stop talking this little discussion of ours off course.

You are beginning to sound like a little child who can't be satisfied.

And please learn how to spell words like "becox" = because. Makes you look stupid and it is embarrassing. My English may not be perfect, at least I know hot to bloody spell.

0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/07/08 06:44:18 PM]

>>>Just saying that people have easier access to HDDs than optical jukeboxes. Many servers/data centers/mainframes still use HDDs as well, on top of other numerous storage solutions. Some still use tapes.

That sentence clearly shows your innocent on enterprise computing like data centers/mainframes/servers. None of these data centers/mainframes/servers use disk as permannent storage. All major banks and enterprise in the world believe tape and optical media more than hard disk for storage reliability. None of the enterprise in the world use HDD as permanent storage, even the most expensive fiber channel Seagate drive! It is a typical practise for most mainframe and servers to move data from HDD to optical jukebox or tape every 2 months. I can tell u I work in one of the largest data center in the world and that's why I can identify u are a pure fool from your words!

>>>Goldmund sells ultra high-end gear that costs way more than my house.
The cost of a optical media jukebox for mainframe is not just cost way more than your house, but MULTIPLE houses!

>>> Many people who build up libraries of DVD's rip them up and store them on terabyte drives on systems they build themselves or on ready-made solutions (NAS for example).

NAS is just a low end product for PCs only. Even the most expensive and high end multi-million dollar SAN disk array that commonly used in mainframe market and enterprise would not be used as permanent storage purpose. Instead scheduled backup operation is needed to transfer data from HDD based SAN to optical media jukebox or tape for reliability!

Also, the "write-once" characteristic of optical media (e.g. DVD-R) made her is the only legally accepted media for account auditing electronic information storage purpose in many country of the world. That's why all banks use optical jukebox for account related storage. That's something tape and HDD can never replace!

>>>I know friends and members here and around the net that have HDD older than I am or equal to my age that still work. I am 18 years of age. I have a 5 year old HDD that still works. I know a friend that has an HDD that is 12 years old and still holds data well.

That means ur investment on records can last for 12-18 yrs only while optical media virtually last forever. Also it happen in very extreme cases only. A typical drive have a designed service life for 5 yrs only!

>>>And about bit-rates; not me nor anyone that I know can hear or see any improvements with the massive bit-rates you are talking about over regular 1080P or video or 192kbps audio or 1080P video with HD audio (DTS or Dolby).

That's means u are not a video/audiophiles. Many video/audiophiles can able to distinguish easy even 320kbps mp3 and uncompressed PCM. Most videophile on the net can distinguish the quality difference between 30Mbps HD-DVD and 50Mbps BluRay.

It is an excellent example to proof that u're just bullshiting without any form of support.

>>>There was an article on the net where a group of audiophiles could not tell the difference of audio passed through super expensive Monster Cable vs coat hanger wire.

Monster cable isn't the choice for true audio/videophiles long as she's now just OEM and rebrand china-made cables only. You won't put that silly "support" even if you know a very little bit on video/audio market. Also, the test didn't disclose any sort of reference. Once again it just proofed that u just a fool and bullshiting no matter being as a audio/videophile or PC technology experts here!

>>>And please learn how to spell words like "becox" = because. Makes you look stupid and it is embarrassing. My English may not be perfect, at least I know hot to bloody spell

becox = because is widely used on internet chats. It's a mock for someone "pretended" to be technology expert here to think it's stupid!

>>>Oh and one more thing, you don't have to enter you message twice. It is also annoying.

Just an example to show you that internet transfer is not as reliable as local optical media on transmitting data.

In the end, I recommend u to learn more before speak something sensible here!
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/08/08 12:59:15 AM]

I don't bloody care if you work for the largest data centers in the world. No one does.

I never called myself self an expert at all, so your accusation is invalid.

I will cease this conversation because you have taken this to somewhere else. I was trying to discuss how normal people have easier access to stuff they can easily grab in stores or online. They most likely don't have the funds to buy optical jukeboxes if they cost many house over.

And yes, I don't know much about datacenters/mainframes/ etc, I'll admit that. Does not mean you have to grind me into oblivion because I don't have solid knowledge about that.You could have merely corrected me on that. I'm trying to recover from the Howitzer fire that I received.

Lastly, I still try to type proper English words yet I'll admit that my English is not perfect.

I don't give a shit if "becox = because is widely used on internet chats.".

I never intended to be an expert or blurted out that I was one.

I just relayed the info I had on hand and tried to express how I felt on the issue by typing what I know.

Go ahead, flame me with your datacenter might.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/08/08 09:06:26 AM]

>>>And you have just de-railed our conversation from normal people buying normal home theatre equipment for their media to something entirely different.

That means u know nth on home theatre market. Optical media dominated the Home theatre market simply becox the video/audio software herself is also one of the most important asset of the system!

>>>I don't care about audiophiles because I am not one and I don't know any. I am referring to normal people that will be happy with home theatre system from Best Buy or something they built for themselves.

But the truth is that Normal ppl are happy to buy latest movies DVD/BluRay from Best Buy or HMV not from Apple TV/iTunes.

>>>I never called myself self an expert at all, so your accusation is invalid.

But u pretended to be obviously, or you won't say optical media will be replaced by internet. So you can't get away from it!

>>>I will cease this conversation because you have taken this to somewhere else.

No. Becox u have nothing to say and no more point to argue obviously. U just pretend to be technical expert at first. But obviously defeated by my solid strong points and evidence again and again!

>>>Regular people don't have entire data centers, super servers, or godly enterprise server racks. They have regular PC's, burners, and HDDs.

Well, NAS isn't popular in most regular home, but CD/DVD do! Why did u raise NAS as an alternative solution to optical media! If u have insufficient knowledge, then u should shut up and stop making silly joke on BluRay!

>>>I never intended to be an expert or blurted out that I was one.

Again u pretended. So u're found guilty!

>>>Obviously, you know much more than me because you work in some datacenter of the Gods. Please, don't smite me with your lighting of optical jukeboxness.

Boy.....I just re-educate you!

0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/10/08 01:28:00 AM]

Obviously, you have gotten to me.

Your narcissistic, full of yourself.

If I didn't know anything about what claim I didn't know anything of, this conversation would have never started. If I didn't know anything about home theatre, I wouldn't have an quarter-assed clue of what HD was.

Furthermore, you just twist my points to our advantage. Here for example:

Fusion - "I don't care about audiophiles because I am not one and I don't know any. I am referring to normal people that will be happy with home theatre system from Best Buy or something they built for themselves."

And you just blind side this point:

Where in the fucking hell did I mention iTunes in that bloody point?

Hell, I'd be happy if I had Blu-ray gear, I was just making the argument way up in my first post that physical optical media will soon become obsolete. I don''t know when, but certainly within our lifetimes. Besides, I don't have the funds nor the interest to invent my money into Blu-ray.

I never fucking pretended that I was an expert, simply layed out my points what I knew.

Places like Blockbuster stores and other movie rental stores are becoming extinct because of services like VOD, FreeSat or Free-to-air satellite where other like myself with this service get PPV for free. Especially, the internet. BitTorrent is the largest things out there that is accelerating the movement from physical media to digital files. They are just more convenient that way.

And you really don't know how to tell sarcasm, do you? I wasn't re-educated, I just couldn't handle this anymore. Maybe you need some re-education in basic English. Everybody who knows anything about sarcasm would smirk at my comment after reading the volleys with each other.

I recommend you read Oscar Wilde's "An Ideal Husband" or Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew", a great comedy and both full of sarcastic oddities.

I am done with you, I don't want to talk to you, and I hope you have your flame resistant suit with some retardant on you (and in the brain) when you argue like this in other forums. People with minds that argue with sense, like I was trying with you, eat you alive with tongues of flames, teeth of red steel, and stomachs magma.

Good day.

0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/10/08 09:36:12 AM]

are you saying a 100Mbps connection wont carry a 50Mbps bitrate??? so you are saying we will need at least a 1000Mbps connection to transfer 50Mbps of data..... ok then...
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/09/08 04:39:03 PM]

Fuck blue ray! I think that you guys will agree that most people visiting this website download 720p movies off of torrent.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/07/08 12:38:57 PM]

The only 720p torrents that I got were the Planet Earth series.

For movies, I just use my satellite. Very happy with Standard Def.

0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/07/08 07:09:23 PM]

If you just are please with SD, then you should shut up! BluRay is not for you doesn't mean that it's not good!

No one can change your mind if you are happy with AM quality audio, but that doesn't mean CDs is not good!
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/08/08 01:02:59 AM]

Wow, I never bashed the quality of Blu Ray. Please re-read my comment. I never said they were not good.

I don't like AM Radio quality, I do have CD quality audio mp3s. And I never said CD isn't good.

Go get your eyes checked.

I was merely replying to guy above me about torrents. I'd also be happy with HD, but I don't have the drive to get and HD gear yet.
0 0 [Posted by:  | Date: 07/08/08 08:52:45 AM]