News
 

Bookmark and Share

(3) 

While Google TV was launched with fanfares by four partners - Google, Intel, Logitech and Sony - two of them are not truly excited about it anymore. Intel Corp. has quietly decided to withdraw from the program and Logitech sais this werrk that its Revue set-top-box (STB) was a misstep and will be discontinued.

After taking a look at its results for the past fifteen months, Logitech claimed that when it comes to Revue Google TV set-top-box, the company "executed a full scale launch with a beta product and it cost us dearly". As a result of insufficient sales, the company decided to close-down its "Logitech Revue saga", sell out the remaining inventory by April, 2012, and not introduce another box to replace Revue.

"To make the long story short, we thought we had invented [sliced] bread and we just made them. [We made a commitment to] just build a lot because we expected everybody to line up for Christmas and buy these boxes [at] $300 [...] that was a big mistake," said Guerrino De Luca, chief executive officer of Logitech during the company's analyst and Investor day, reports The Verge.

 

Operational miscues in EMEA region and Logitech Revue cost the company well over $100 million in operating profit, the firm said.

Chief executive of Logitech did not exclude a possibility if successors for Revue, but stressed that it would be a "grandchild of Google TV". This means that Google TV is very far from becoming commercially successful shortly despite of numerous Google's attempts to improve the situation and update its software.

Google TV is based on the Android platform and runs the Google Chrome web browser and could even run Android applications. Users can access all of their usual TV channels as well as a world of Internet and cloud-based information and applications, including Adobe Flash-based content. The main aim of the Google TV platform is to enable TV users to access the Internet with content from Netflix, Amazon video on demand, and YouTube. Google TV will also have the capability to run apps from the Android Market.

The aim of Google TV platform was to close the gap between PC and TV and transform usage models of both. So far, Google TV has failed.

Tags: Intel, Google, Sony, Logitech, Adobe, Best Buy, HDTV

Discussion

Comments currently: 3
Discussion started: 11/14/11 10:00:59 AM
Latest comment: 11/14/11 06:05:59 PM
Expand all threads | Collapse all threads

[1-1]

1. 
$300?! That is a lot of scratch for a device that is equally matched by 20 other media boxes on the market.*

(*90% of viewing is going to be last.fm, Pandora, Netflix or Hulu.) The other 10%...you have a PC for that.
0 0 [Posted by: digitalgriffin  | Date: 11/14/11 10:00:59 AM]
Reply
- collapse thread

 
If they would have let people install their own apps and sold it for about $100 it would have been a big success.

The $35 raspberry pi device is more capable and runs linux to boot.
0 0 [Posted by: user99  | Date: 11/14/11 06:02:08 PM]
Reply
 
I wanted a Revue for dlna but support was flaky.

I could care less about netflix or hulu. I don't watch network TV garbage.
0 0 [Posted by: user99  | Date: 11/14/11 06:05:59 PM]
Reply

[1-1]

Add your Comment




Related news

Latest News

Monday, April 14, 2014

8:23 am | Microsoft Vows to Release Xbox 360 Emulator for Xbox One. Microsoft Xbox One May Gain Compatibility with Xbox 360 Games

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

10:39 am | Microsoft Reveals Kinect for Windows v2 Hardware. Launch of New Kinect for Windows Approaches

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

1:57 pm | Facebook to Acquire Virtual Reality Pioneer, Oculus VR. Facebook Considers Virtual Reality as Next-Gen Social Platform

1:35 pm | Intel Acquires Maker of Wearable Computing Devices. Basis Science Becomes Fully-Owned Subsidiary of Intel

Monday, March 24, 2014

10:53 pm | Global UHD TV Shipments Total 1.6 Million Units in 2013 – Analysts. China Ahead of the Whole World with 4K TV Adoption

10:40 pm | Crytek to Adopt AMD Mantle Mantle API for CryEngine. Leading Game Developer Adopts AMD Mantle

9:08 pm | Microsoft Unleashes DirectX 12: One API for PCs, Mobile Gadgets and Xbox One. Microsoft Promises Increased Performance, New Features with DirectX 12

3:33 pm | PowerVR Wizard: Imagination Reveals World’s First Ray-Tracing GPU IP for Mobile Devices. Imagination Technologies Brings Ray-Tracing, Hybrid Rendering Modes to Smartphones and Tablets

2:00 pm | Nokia Now Expects to Close Deal with Microsoft in Q2. Sale of Nokia’s Division to Close Next Month