The head of Sony Computer Entertainment America said in an interview that PlayStation 4 will continue to be a console not only for core video games, but for entertainment in general and will thus grab necessary features to stay relevant. Jack Tretton also said that the PlayStation consoles are not meant to be rushed to market or be the cheapest, he sees PlayStation as the best.

"Let's go back to our roots in 1995, when I joined the company, and the name Sony Computer Entertainment, it is computer entertainment business. We named it PlayStation, the power of a workstation for play. That is our mantra seventeen years later. We are all about gaming, gaming is our DNA, but as a device it got to do a lot more, it got to have more entertainment. But as a core foundation, it is a gaming machine for the core gamer, it is a 'live or die' to keep those consumers interested, that is what we are focused on," said Jack Tretton, the president of SCEA, in an interview with GameTrailers web-site.

The focus of the PlayStation 4 "Orbis" will be fundamentally the same as that of the PlayStation 2 and the PlayStation 3: to sustain a long-term life-cycle and stay relevant both for core gamers as well as for more casual users. Given the fact what is going on with PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita now, one can expect even deeper cross-platform integration in the next generation of consoles.

"Every [PlayStation] platform we do [has] long-term lifecycles, diversity and key [exclusive] franchises that keep people interest in our platform. It has really been the focus behind three consoles and two portables and it will clearly be our focus in the next generation," explained Mr. Tretton.

Even though the Sony PlayStation 3 is relevant in many terms six years after its release, so is the Microsoft Xbox 360, which came out a year earlier. Over the years, Sony's PS3 has lost its advantage of being a Blu-ray disc player as prices on the latter dropped substantially. Initially the Blu-ray optical drive was the most expensive component of the console, which increased its pricing and conditioned a very slow start for the platform. Still, with Blu-ray, the PS3 has some advantages over the Xbox 360 when it comes to core games as well. The PlayStation 3 also has technical advantages over Wii, but life-to-date sales of the latter are some 30 million higher than PS3's ~65 million.

Despite of all pros and cons, the head of SCEA believes that it is crucial to make a hardware platform that is the best and that can add features to keep core gamers interested in it over time. In some cases that could transform into higher pricing and later time-to-market, but the long life-cycle is projected to payback everything in the long-term future.

"If you look back in history, it is very difficult for multiple companies to repeat generation after generation, lot of companies slip. We have tended to have a great staying power, we have tended to be relevant on the worldwide basis and we have tended to really sustain long product life-cycles, I think you are going to see that from us going forward. [...] We have never been first [in the global console cycle], we have never been cheapest, it is about being the best. If you can build a better machine and it is going to come out a little bit later, that is better than rushing something to market that is going to run out of gas in the long term. Ideally, in a perfect world, you want the best machine that ships first andis  the cheapest [which is impossible], so our goal is to be the best," stressed Mr. Tretton.

Based on unofficial information, Sony PlayStation 4 "Orbis" will become available in late 2013. It is expected that the console will feature central processing unit and graphics processing unit designed by Advanced Micro Devices and will have a Blu-ray disc optical drive.

Tags: Sony, Playstation, Orbis, Blu-ray

Discussion started: 06/08/12 08:28:05 AM
Latest comment: 06/12/12 05:10:04 AM

It Is About Core Gaming and Entertainment.

Sony of lately has been mostly about screwing the customer. It's a valid strategy when you are a monopoly or or a big market leader. Sony no longer are the market leader in gaming but they behave like they are.

I'm so fed up with their anti-customer behaviour (specifically with the PS3) that I'm not buying anything from them for the foreseeable future. They have to make a really good product before I even consider purchasing Sony again.
3 2 [Posted by: kokara4a  | Date: 06/08/12 08:28:05 AM]

ok good go to microsoft and get charged for going online to play games then.
1 2 [Posted by: SteelCity1981  | Date: 06/10/12 12:56:19 AM]

Dude, I don't have to go anywhere. I am a grownup with at least some dignity. If someone fucks me up I won't come back for more. Even if in the process I have experienced some fun
2 2 [Posted by: kokara4a  | Date: 06/10/12 11:04:13 PM]

then what are you bitching about.
1 3 [Posted by: SteelCity1981  | Date: 06/11/12 05:04:20 AM]

I'm not bitching. I'm raising valid points whereas you are just trolling. Your initial reply to my post presents a false dichotomy. And you don't address any of the points I'm making. Please grow up if you want to be taken seriously.
1 2 [Posted by: kokara4a  | Date: 06/11/12 06:50:48 AM]

i'm trolling? yet you keep replying to my first comment. hmmm lol who are you trying to convince me or you. lol Grow up on what grounds because someone disagrees with you and the fact that you are whinning about it? The irony...

My false dichotomy? lol how am i splitting a whole into two parts, when it correlates to you whinning about sony and i said ok then go to microsoft then if you don't like sony.

What points are you making exactly other then your own opinions. So you want me to point out an opinion with no substance? LOL.
0 0 [Posted by: SteelCity1981  | Date: 06/11/12 04:31:25 PM]

Other than PC gaming, what's the alternative for consoles? I wasn't impressed by Nintendo's Wii U E3 presentation. Other than Super Mario Bros, they have nothing going so far that entices me to purchase their next gen console.

On the MS side, Xbox with $50 Live fees and no Bluray drive? No thanks. Honestly for us PC gamers, Xbox makes no sense for gaming. MS doesn't' have many exclusives worth talking about. All the best FPS shooters and role playing games on the Xbox are found on the PC with better graphics. Other than Forza Motorsports and Gears of War, what's there on the Xbox 360? OK, sure there are a couple of good titles for Xbox Arcade. The next Xbox is rumored to have Kinect integrated (i.e., more focus on casual gaming) - no thanks!

At least Sony has titles that are unique and we can't get them on the PC.

I understand your aversion for anti-consumer behaviour but don't think for a second MS somehow cares about you. Why did they make Alan Wake exclusive to the Xbox for years and years after it was originally intended to be a PC title? Why was Halo originally intended for the PC and then we got shafted?

MS also ruined Rare Entertainment and just about all the joint ventures they participate in. Look at MS+Nokia smartphone disaster.

MS wants to be the entertainment hub of our living rooms but we have to pay $ to buy their expensive proprietary hard drives, pay Xbox Live fees to use Netflix, while Sony lets us upgrade to any HDD, including SSDs, allows to use Netflix without an annual fee, has BluRay.

Last time there was a very large price difference between a $599 PS3 and $399 Xbox 360. I doubt the parity will be as large this round.
1 0 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 06/11/12 10:28:57 AM]

You seem to have most of the variables of the equation in your post. But everyone must solve it for himself. I have decided to not buy Sony products until their attitude changes. I do have a PS3 (I sold my X360 to buy it) and I think it's the better console but I don't have time for games anyhow so it just sits in the cupboard. In any case, I'm not buying more games for it because I keep an old Linux-capable firmware on it so I cannot play new games. If Sony doesn't want my money I'm not giving it to them.
0 0 [Posted by: kokara4a  | Date: 06/12/12 05:10:04 AM]

1. ROTFL. We won't miss you
2 1 [Posted by: sanity  | Date: 06/08/12 09:38:37 PM]

If Sony really wants to be serious about this then it needs these consoles need to be able to record and store streamed content. Better yet allow for playing of content in various formats from external storage as well optical media. If they want to put out something that would be yet more popular have it to where their consoles can store the recorded content in an unencrypted state so that owners can recover recorded content if the need arises.
1 0 [Posted by: nforce4max  | Date: 06/11/12 03:37:30 PM]

Monday, April 14, 2014

8:23 am | Microsoft Vows to Release Xbox 360 Emulator for Xbox One. Microsoft Xbox One May Gain Compatibility with Xbox 360 Games

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

10:39 am | Microsoft Reveals Kinect for Windows v2 Hardware. Launch of New Kinect for Windows Approaches

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

1:57 pm | Facebook to Acquire Virtual Reality Pioneer, Oculus VR. Facebook Considers Virtual Reality as Next-Gen Social Platform

1:35 pm | Intel Acquires Maker of Wearable Computing Devices. Basis Science Becomes Fully-Owned Subsidiary of Intel

Monday, March 24, 2014

10:53 pm | Global UHD TV Shipments Total 1.6 Million Units in 2013 – Analysts. China Ahead of the Whole World with 4K TV Adoption

10:40 pm | Crytek to Adopt AMD Mantle Mantle API for CryEngine. Leading Game Developer Adopts AMD Mantle

9:08 pm | Microsoft Unleashes DirectX 12: One API for PCs, Mobile Gadgets and Xbox One. Microsoft Promises Increased Performance, New Features with DirectX 12

3:33 pm | PowerVR Wizard: Imagination Reveals World’s First Ray-Tracing GPU IP for Mobile Devices. Imagination Technologies Brings Ray-Tracing, Hybrid Rendering Modes to Smartphones and Tablets

2:00 pm | Nokia Now Expects to Close Deal with Microsoft in Q2. Sale of Nokia’s Division to Close Next Month