Just about a week ahead of Nintendo's annual press conference in September, launch date and pricing of Nintendo Wii U have been revealed by a distributor that supplies the U.S. largest stores various multimedia and video products. Apparently, Wii U will cost starting from $249 and will emerge on November 11, 2012.

According to Video Product Distributors, a major distributor that serves large stores like Amazon, Blockbuster, Newegg and so on, Nintendo will launch its Wii U system in the U.S. on November 11, 2012, nearly exactly six years after the company unveiled the original Wii on this market. A person, who has access to the confidential listing of Wii U at VPD, revealed that there will be at least three different bundles of Wii U available in North America: for $249, $299 and $349.

Details about the bundles are unclear, but it is likely that the most expensive version includes additional Wii U tablet-like controller along with a video game or two. Given the fact that Microsoft sells Xbox 360 250GB with Kinect for $409, whereas Sony PlayStation 3 320GB with Sony PlayStation move motion-sensing controller is available for around $365, the Nintendo Wii U is likely to be very competitive against its previous-generation rivals.

Since the prices do not come from official sources, they should be taken with a grain of salt, as originally Nintendo told that Wii U would be more expensive than Wii, which launch price was $249. On the other hand, the latest version of Wii U may be cheaper to produce than the pre-production Wii U devices, which is why the company can put $249 price-tag on the console.

Nintendo Wii U combines motion-sensing game play with the ability to support high-definition graphics and generally performance demanding games that can run on consoles like Microsoft Xbox 360 or Sony PlayStation 3. The system itself is based on a custom IBM Power microprocessor as well as a modern custom AMD Radeon HD graphics processing unit with high-definition graphics and video support. The main feature of the code-named Cafe game console is its unique controller with 6.2" touch-screen that also features an accelerometer and a gyroscope, a rumble feature, an inward-facing camera, a microphone and speakers that can be used to play both classic Gamecube/Wii games as well as specially designed titles that take advantage of the screen. Each Wii U console will be partnered with a new controller and can also use up to four additional Wii Remote or Wii Remote Plus controllers. The system is also backward compatible and can play all Wii games and use all Wii accessories.

Nintendo did not comment on the news-story.

Tags: Nintendo, Wii, Wii U

Discussion started: 09/05/12 01:19:37 AM
Latest comment: 09/06/12 11:08:59 AM

The 4GB 360 with Kinect costs $299, and that's the competition to the Wii U. I think that Microsoft could easily drop that to $249 for the holidays and that would make life hard for Nintendo.
2 0 [Posted by: ET3D  | Date: 09/05/12 01:19:37 AM]

But Wii U probably have better graphics performance and more future-proof than 360. If it comes with a fun game at launch, it would be pretty attractive. For the same price, many consumers will choose a brand new product over an aged one. The only concern is game support.
1 2 [Posted by: gjcjan  | Date: 09/05/12 10:53:31 AM]

For the same price, many consumers will prefer the platform with a much larger choice of games. As you said, that's the major concern.

For me, the Wii was the first console I ever had, because I dislike traditional console controllers. I'm a PC gamer mainly, but I appreciate the way the Wii gave me games where I could interact in new and interesting ways. The way I see it Kinect takes things to the next level, and the Wii U doesn't.
2 0 [Posted by: ET3D  | Date: 09/06/12 02:30:39 AM]

show the post
0 3 [Posted by: BestJinjo  | Date: 09/06/12 10:52:24 AM]

Wii and XBox aren't really in the same market. There are very few games on the XBox I'm interested in.

1 0 [Posted by: user99  | Date: 09/05/12 12:30:22 PM]

the Wii U will have a good 11 month performance advantage over MS and Sony before their next gen consoles will debute, but from what i read MS and Sony will have much more powerful hardware under the hood then the Wii U which will again set Nintendo back a generation behind what MS and Sony will be offering with their next gen consoles. But if the price is 249 and there are attractive game titles with the Wii U's launch then that will help it greatly over come the performance lag it will have compared to the Xbox 720 and PS4 consoles.
2 0 [Posted by: SteelCity1981  | Date: 09/05/12 01:07:17 PM]

Not so sure about the prognosis. Despite having mediocre graphics, Wii did pretty well compared to MS and Sony. They just might be able to pull off the same thing with Wii U. On a side note, Wii U is a terrible name...
2 0 [Posted by: crointel  | Date: 09/06/12 06:41:32 AM]

Wii U, the first Nintendo console since the N64 I probably won't buy, mostly due to my experience with the Wii.

I mean my N64 and Gamecube never gathered dust. My Wii on the other hand has spend the majority of its life under a cover of dust since I bought it. I hope Nintendo can bring back some of the franchises I like, or simply make some interesting good games again that aren't all about gimmicks. Maybe, just maybe I'll consider buying a Wii U then, but I'm expecting that the Wii U will be pretty much the same as the Wii in terms of games.
0 0 [Posted by: whythisname  | Date: 09/06/12 11:08:59 AM]

Thursday, August 21, 2014

10:59 pm | Khronos Group to Follow DirectX 12 with Cross-Platform Low-Level API. Khronos Unveils Next-Generation OpenGL Initiative

10:33 pm | Avexir Readies 3.40GHz DDR4 Memory Modules. DDR4 Could Hit 3.40GHz This Year

12:10 pm | AMD to Lower Prices of A-Series APUs for Back-to-School Season. New Prices of AMD A-Series APUs Revealed

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

10:53 am | AMD to Cut Prices on FX-9000, Other FX Processors: New Prices Revealed. AMD to Make FX Chips More Affordable, Discontinue Low-End Models

10:32 am | LG to Introduce World’s First Curved 21:9 Ultra-Wide Display. LG Brings Curved Displays to Gamers, Professionals

9:59 am | AMD Readies FX-8370, FX-8370E Microprocessors. AMD Preps Two New “Mainstream” FX Chips