While Nintendo has problems with fulfilling demand towards its Wii U video game console, some game developers believe that the system will not be popular either because of weak specifications, or due to different reasons. In fact, Nolan Bushnell, the founder of Atari and one of the first video games businessman, believes that the era of consoles is near.

“I actually am baffled by it. I do not think it is going to be a big success. These things will continue to sputter along, but I really don’t think they’ll be of major import ever again. It feels like the end of an era to me,” said Nolan K. Bushnell in an interview with the New York Times.

Modern smartphones and tablets let users play video games that look and feel similarly to titles designed for lower-cost game consoles, such as Nintendo Wii. As a result the appeal of the consoles in general is getting lower. Moreover, there are cloud video game streaming services that has potential to enable high-definition gaming on all possible devices, eliminating the need for costly hardware, such as Microsoft Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii U or Sony PlayStation 3.

Many market observers now believe that the end of the console era is getting near, especially considering the fact that people nowadays prefer mobile devices to non-portable consoles. As a result, more and more challenges will arrive for Nintendo and its rivals, Microsoft and Sony.

Clearly, there is a market of high-end games that are bought by hardcore gamers in low quantities. Those people will continue to enjoy sophisticated titles not only on consoles, but also on personal computers. At the same time, the mainstream video game market may move on to mobile platforms.

“They were very much more interested in the immediacy of the mobile experience. I am looking at the $60 game the way I am a big-budget Hollywood movie. Yeah, I am buying three or four a year – Call of Duty, Uncharted – but for the equivalent of television, I am going to mobile platforms and free-to-play,” Mitch Lasky, a veteran industry executive and now a venture capitalist at Benchmark Capital.

That said, Nintendo will now need to concentrate on high-quality games for Wii U, if it wants the platform to be popular among core gamers, which may be a challenge as the console does not seem to be too powerful to handle advanced games. Last week a developer of Metro 2033: Last Light title said that the Wii U had very slow microprocessor, which is why 4A Games had to cancel development of the game for Wii.

Tags: Nintendo, Wii, Wii U

Discussion started: 11/27/12 07:47:31 AM
Latest comment: 12/25/12 10:46:22 PM

I call BS...

Same story here, like laptops never replaced desktops all those years, same again tablets will not replace neither desktops, neither consoles.

Tablets are pretty powerful sure, maybe in a couple of years we could connect a tablet in a full HD tv and it will be able to play games at 1080p like a gaming computer does today.

But TVs and monitors are moving forward as well, and they will start making standard higher resolutions that a tablet could not possible be able to handle.

We are technologically very far away from devices "one size fit all" and we will always be, because technology is changing as we speak and is moving forward.

So there will always be higher demand on computing power than what a mobile device will be able to provide, because it have to stay mobile as well (that's it, until we discover batteries of endless charge).

Just my 2 cents.
3 1 [Posted by: nitro912gr  | Date: 11/27/12 07:47:31 AM]

This dude is just a hater.

6 years ago he said the PS3 would fail: http://www.xbitlabs.com/n...splay/20061110115416.html

He's just sore that his company didnt read the market well enough and got pushed into obscurity, so every once in a while he comes out and hates on the successful.
2 0 [Posted by: jihadjoe  | Date: 11/30/12 03:02:39 PM]

To be fare, who gives a shit what he says?

WiiU is doing the right thing by allowing it to run the living room w/ Netflix, hulu, amazon instant video, browser and the game pad can control near any TV and cable box.
1 0 [Posted by: KeyBoardG  | Date: 11/27/12 12:19:25 PM]

There may be shifts, but it's never as extreme as these guys like to let on.

I don't have a cell phone; if I wanted to have someone not hear what I'm saying I'd get married instead. So, I have these discussions all the time with people that say computers are going away, and the cell phone is replacing it. Or the tablet is, or something else is.

Here's the reality, it's not about processing power, it's about form factor. Will a phone be powerful enough? Of course, it already is when one consider they have more processing power than we had on desktops not that long ago, and we thought those desktops were plenty capable.

But the form factor is the issue. It's not the same experience. You can't be as productive on this puny toy as you can be on a computer with a keyboard, with a 27" screen, with multiple windows that you're working on.

A game isn't as much fun on a tiny screen with poor audio compared to a large TV with powerful speakers.

Can you invite people over and have fun on your iPhone? Not so.

Technology will change, and in that capacity these devices will be capable, but the same reason they are popular is why they will never replace other devices; the form factor is the major component in their popularity, but is severely inappropriate in other situations.
3 0 [Posted by: TA152H  | Date: 11/27/12 12:29:44 PM]

I agree. Games I play on my portable devices are usually to pass time when I'm traveling, not because they give me a similar or equal game experience to my consoles/PC at home.

Then again, my sister loves to play (social/skinner box) games on her iPhone and doesn't play on a console/PC at all. I will never understand why, but the fact remains there is a sizable group of people that does that. Which is probably where analysts get the idea from.
2 0 [Posted by: whythisname  | Date: 11/29/12 02:31:37 AM]

Gaming on tablets is a novelty; it is hip right now. I just don't see people giving up playing on nice big screens to play on a small shitty tablet or phone.
2 0 [Posted by: CosmoJoe  | Date: 11/28/12 08:40:10 AM]

All these years and he's still salty that Nintendo knocked the wind right out of their sales with the NES.
2 0 [Posted by: jihadjoe  | Date: 11/29/12 01:30:15 AM]

Consoles may indeed be obsolete as in a box sitting in front of your tv, The console may end up being your phone which you just plug into tv, Plug in a hub and usb devices and off you go.
Think I am joking? I can already do this on my phone, Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

So it is only going to get better each new generation of phones, ARM is progressing at a crazy rate, Soon enough we will have 8 core phones with quad core graphics just itching for apps/games to use some of the power.

I am a hardcore pc gamer and PS3 owner, But these phones now are becoming quite powerful, a mini pc in a way, No reason why in future they have to be a shitty little mobile phone game.
Portable console using phone, Why not?. Be pretty cool to take it over to a friends place or plug it in at lunch room tv at work for a bit of fun, Not just games but could watch movies or show photos etc etc.
0 1 [Posted by: ozegamer  | Date: 12/04/12 11:55:13 PM]