MediaTek, a leading designer of wireless communications and digital multimedia solutions, has announced availability of its MT7650, the world’s first and only 802.11ac and Bluetooth 4.0+HS combo chip designed for mobile consumer electronics, such as smartphones, tablets, notebooks and other.
The MediaTek MT7650 combines the IEEE 802.11ac technology, Bluetooth 4.0 LE functionality, and the company’s Wi-Fi/Bluetooth coexistence algorithm onto a single die to support high quality voice, data and video transmissions up to 433Mb/s, while enabling ultra low power Bluetooth low energy (LE) connectivity with health, fitness and other sensors. Moreover, with the complete 802.11ac system (MAC/Baseband/Radio) integrated, customers adopting the MediaTek MT7650 also benefit from easier implementation, faster time to market and reduced manufacturing costs.
The MT7650 highly integrated chip supports dual band 2.4/5GHz configuration with 80MHz channel bandwidth, 256-QAM modulation scheme for increased data transfer efficiency, receive beam forming for extended range and capacity, and space-time block codes (STBC) coding technologies for better wireless coverage. This chip also supports Wi-Fi Display, Wi-Fi Direct and TDLS for full peer-to-peer functionalities between mobile and home consumer products.
“The demand of high quality digital-content streaming and sharing has increased rapidly. At the same time, peer-to-peer data communication is shifting from wired to wireless connections. Therefore, mobile devices are relying heavily on high quality wireless connections, but the current Wi-Fi technology standard is overwhelmed by all the bandwidth needs. With the latest 802.11ac, the MediaTek MT7650 overcomes these challenges and allows consumers to stream and transfer heavy contents between mobile and home consumer devices much faster and much more reliable with ultra low power consumptions,” said SR Tsai, general manager of MediaTek’s wireless connectivity and networking business unit.
Key product features of the MediaTek MT7650 include:
- All-In-One (MAC/Baseband/Radio) 802.11ac Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth 4.0+HS single chip;
- Dual band 2.4/5GHz single stream 802.11ac support for up to 433Mb/s data rate (HT80) with antenna diversity;
- Supports Wi-Fi Direct and Wi-Fi Display;
- Compliant with Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, Bluetooth 3.0 + HS and Bluetooth 4.0 LE;
- Support for BT Class 1 operation for better Bluetooth range;
- Advanced WLAN + Bluetooth coexistence algorithm for optimized performance;
- Support single antenna configuration for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signals to reduce system design cost;
- Shared Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signal receiving path to eliminate the need for an external splitter;
- Supports Wake-on-WLAN and Wake-on-Bluetooth for reduced power consumption of end devices;
- Operating systems support: Windows 7, Windows 8 and Linux