Microsoft Windows 7 beta version, which will be released to software developers in early 2009, is already available on certain torrent web-sites and early adopters are sharing their experience all around the Web.

According to Windows 7 beta 1 review at ZDNet web-site, the new operating system has completely revamped desktop with new taskbar and several new features that enhance user experience. In particular, Windows 7 sports Aero Snap feature, a gestures driven method of organizing Windows; Aero Peek, a feature that allows to quickly peek at what is on the desktop. In addition, Windows 7 is much more customizable than previous-generation operating systems from Microsoft.

Unfortunately, Windows 7 has considerably less built-in applications compared to predecessors: it does not include Windows Mail, Windows Messenger, Movie Maker and so on. However, these programs can be downloaded Windows Live Essentials. The OS still has Internet Explorer Paint, Wordpad, Media Player and so on integrated.

One of the most important things about Windows 7 is its compatibility with hardware and software.

“I’ve had no noteworthy issues relating to hardware, although drivers that officially support Windows 7 are still a while off so I’ve been sticking with Microsoft drivers. I expect hardware vendors to start getting Windows 7 drivers out soon after the official release of Windows 7,” said ZDNet reviewer Adrian Kingsley-Hughes.

Tags: Microsoft, Windows

Discussion started: 12/31/08 09:52:32 PM
Latest comment: 01/06/09 05:41:34 AM

It 'might' be worth looking at.............if they get rid of IE
0 0 [Posted by: alpha0ne  | Date: 12/31/08 09:52:32 PM]

That would be silly. How would you get on the internet to download Firefox/Opera/Chrome otherwise? It's not like they can install one of those by default, because that would imply support. Obviously, Microsoft isn't going to provide support for products they have no control over.
0 0 [Posted by: Zshazz  | Date: 01/02/09 07:22:23 AM]

OEMs can preinstall alternate web browsers. If you build, you probably have a copy backed up. I know I do.

But in order for getting rid of IE to be of any value they would have to rearrange Windows entirely to remove certain components, and Microsoft just isn't going to be doing anything in the optimization department.
0 0 [Posted by: hedron  | Date: 01/02/09 10:49:03 AM]

True on both counts, but it still seems silly to drop it. It's just fine for the "just in case" moments. If your computer unexpectedly craps out on you and you don't have a copy of your favorite browser backed up nor another computer, it'd be nice to know that you can suffer through 5 minutes of IE to redownload it (instead of just saying "screw the internet, the computer is fine without it!). I just don't see why it matters so much that you get rid of IE. I don't use it and I've only seen it for a brief period of time when I reinstalled my OS.

Also, if you're going to badmouth Microsoft's optimization, you really ought to look at what they've done with Windows 7. It's spectacular in that department thus far.
0 0 [Posted by: Zshazz  | Date: 01/02/09 12:31:45 PM]

"Unfortunately"? I say "Finally!". I hate having all these garbage apps installed (despite whatever checkboxes I enable or disable in the installation process) onto my machine. I don't use them, don't want them, and am glad Microsoft finally made their installation non-mandatory. Thank You Microsoft.

I think the original author said it best in his article on zdnet:
Microsoft seems to have put a lot of effort into developing a core operating system that is free from the pointless frills of the likes of XP and Vista.

Hopefully that stands true as the beta goes along. In my experience pointless frills == poor performance && much hassle.
0 0 [Posted by: gu3  | Date: 01/06/09 05:41:34 AM]