News
 

Bookmark and Share

(0) 

Qimonda Portugal, a DRAM test and assembly facility of insolvent Qimonda, may be saved by investors and the government of Portugal. The firm will get a new name and will operate independently. Unfortunately, the details are scarce.

A total of three partners have agreed on a new strategy: the state Portugal will hold a 18% share in the new company, BCP and BES will share the remaining 82% (each holding 41%), reports Evertiq web-site citing Portuguese local media. The partners will invest about €15 million ($22.3 million) into the new company. The newly formed chip test and assembly facility will receive a new name, the most probable new name for now is Nanium.

The rescue plan includes employment of 770 workers over the next 18 months.

It remains to be seen whether independent chip test and assembly facility can actually be successful in Portugal, the country that has no chip manufacturing. Potentially, European semiconductor makers may turn to Nanium for test and assembly of their chips, however, not a lot of semiconductors are produced in the European Union in general.

Tags: Qimonda, Nanium, Semiconductor, Business, DRAM

Discussion

Comments currently: 0

Add your Comment




Related news

Latest News

Monday, April 14, 2014

8:23 am | Microsoft Vows to Release Xbox 360 Emulator for Xbox One. Microsoft Xbox One May Gain Compatibility with Xbox 360 Games

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

10:39 am | Microsoft Reveals Kinect for Windows v2 Hardware. Launch of New Kinect for Windows Approaches

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

1:57 pm | Facebook to Acquire Virtual Reality Pioneer, Oculus VR. Facebook Considers Virtual Reality as Next-Gen Social Platform

1:35 pm | Intel Acquires Maker of Wearable Computing Devices. Basis Science Becomes Fully-Owned Subsidiary of Intel

Monday, March 24, 2014

10:53 pm | Global UHD TV Shipments Total 1.6 Million Units in 2013 – Analysts. China Ahead of the Whole World with 4K TV Adoption

10:40 pm | Crytek to Adopt AMD Mantle Mantle API for CryEngine. Leading Game Developer Adopts AMD Mantle

9:08 pm | Microsoft Unleashes DirectX 12: One API for PCs, Mobile Gadgets and Xbox One. Microsoft Promises Increased Performance, New Features with DirectX 12

3:33 pm | PowerVR Wizard: Imagination Reveals World’s First Ray-Tracing GPU IP for Mobile Devices. Imagination Technologies Brings Ray-Tracing, Hybrid Rendering Modes to Smartphones and Tablets

2:00 pm | Nokia Now Expects to Close Deal with Microsoft in Q2. Sale of Nokia’s Division to Close Next Month