News
 

Bookmark and Share

(1) 

Lenovo Group, the world's fourth largest supplier of personal computers, and NEC Corp. are reportedly planning to create a joint-venture that will sell PCs in Japan. The two companies will jointly develop and build PCs in order to reduce their costs through economies of scale.

Lenovo is projected to acquire a majority stake in NEC Personal Products, a PC unit of NEC. The companies aim to boost their competitiveness through economies of scale by combining development, production, materials procurement and hope to become more competitive against large manufacturers of personal computers, reports Reuters news-agency citing Nikkei news-paper.

At present Lenovo Group commands about 10% of the worldwide PC market, while NEC only sells its computers in Japan and controls about 18% of domestic market. According to the report, Lenovo has 27% Japanese PC market share, hence, Lenovo and NEC combined will easily become the largest supplier of personal computers in Japan with 45% of the market.

It is clear that NEC will get a lot of benefits from working with Lenovo Group. Meanwhile, it is not known what kind of advantages Lenovo expects to get from a joint-venture with NEC. It is expected that NEC-branded PCs will remain on the market, therefore, Lenovo's brand will not get additional presence. Perhaps, Lenovo just needs to boost its sales and getting a stake in a rival is one of the ways to do so. Another possibility is that Lenovo wants to use certain technologies from NEC on other markets.

Lenovo and NEC did not comment on the news-story. 

Tags: Lenovo, NEC, Business

Discussion

Comments currently: 1
Discussion started: 01/21/11 02:26:15 AM
Latest comment: 01/21/11 02:26:15 AM

[1-1]

1. 
Wrong. Lenovo has 27% of the Chinese PC market, so it doesn't stack with the share of NEC in Japan.
0 0 [Posted by: geistwald  | Date: 01/21/11 02:26:15 AM]
Reply

[1-1]

Add your Comment




Related news

Latest News

Monday, April 14, 2014

8:23 am | Microsoft Vows to Release Xbox 360 Emulator for Xbox One. Microsoft Xbox One May Gain Compatibility with Xbox 360 Games

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

10:39 am | Microsoft Reveals Kinect for Windows v2 Hardware. Launch of New Kinect for Windows Approaches

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

1:57 pm | Facebook to Acquire Virtual Reality Pioneer, Oculus VR. Facebook Considers Virtual Reality as Next-Gen Social Platform

1:35 pm | Intel Acquires Maker of Wearable Computing Devices. Basis Science Becomes Fully-Owned Subsidiary of Intel

Monday, March 24, 2014

10:53 pm | Global UHD TV Shipments Total 1.6 Million Units in 2013 – Analysts. China Ahead of the Whole World with 4K TV Adoption

10:40 pm | Crytek to Adopt AMD Mantle Mantle API for CryEngine. Leading Game Developer Adopts AMD Mantle

9:08 pm | Microsoft Unleashes DirectX 12: One API for PCs, Mobile Gadgets and Xbox One. Microsoft Promises Increased Performance, New Features with DirectX 12

3:33 pm | PowerVR Wizard: Imagination Reveals World’s First Ray-Tracing GPU IP for Mobile Devices. Imagination Technologies Brings Ray-Tracing, Hybrid Rendering Modes to Smartphones and Tablets

2:00 pm | Nokia Now Expects to Close Deal with Microsoft in Q2. Sale of Nokia’s Division to Close Next Month