A recently conducted survey among X-bit labs readers revealed the main reasons why users of Microsoft Windows-based personal computers do not transit to Apple Macintosh systems. Apparently, the higher cost of Macs as well as the absence of the majority of PC video games on Mac platform are the two main reasons for people why people do not given Macintosh even a try.

Apple Macintosh computers have traditionally been more expensive than the majority of Windows-based systems and their prices is the main concern of PC enthusiasts. Other main reasons are lack of PC games, lack of choice of peripherals and impossibility to upgrade easily, as well as absence of newest technologies (e.g., Blu-ray, USB 3.0, modern graphics cards) worsened by inability to configure Macs during initial purchase.

The results of the survey show that  for a lot of people the choice of PC hardware and software is very important and they will not give these things up in favour of Apple Macintosh. The majority of Macs cannot be reconfigured and there are not a lot of innovative peripherals for those systems available directly from Apple. Moreover, it is uneasy to upgrade Macs. Apparently, the company simply does not want to give its customers any choice of hardware so to minimize its costs and maximize profitability.

Sales of Apple Macintosh computers have been growing in the recent years, despite of tepid welcome by PC enthusiasts. One of the main reasons for that is halo effect caused by popular iPhone and iPad gadgets by consumers.

The survey was carried out in January, 2011. Around 1200 readers of PC-hardware oriented X-bit labs web-site answered the question "What stops you from transiting from Windows PC to Apple Macintosh?"

Tags: Apple, Mac, Macintosh, iPad, iPhone

Discussion started: 01/26/11 08:00:06 AM
Latest comment: 01/28/11 02:07:40 PM

Personally I will never buy a Mac desktop, but Macbooks are probably one of the best built laptops out there.

I have a Macbook which compliments the desktop rig I built a while back and it's my portable UNIX machine. I love my Macbook as much as the desktop I built. Gaming isn't even a factor for me when buying this Macbook since it's meant for work only and the price wasn't bad. You get what you paid for and I get a very durable laptop and fantastic service from Apple. When parts go bad, I get them replaced quickly without hassle.

There's really nothing wrong with Apple machines, they work and that's the point. I use a wide range of operating systems including Windows, Mac, Linux and FreeBSD on a daily basis and they all have their pros and cons.

The Internet is full of Mac haters and haters will always hate.
0 1 [Posted by: deltatux  | Date: 01/26/11 08:00:06 AM]

I think a lot of people would disagree about their service being very good. I think a lot of people had to wait around 6 months before apple would even admit their monitors had a yellow tinge for around 50% of people who bought the 17" imac desktops about a year ago. Once they admited it all they offered was a software fix while they then changed the hardware (what needed to be done) for new units.

Also they had the same motherboard capacitor problems Dell / Hp had around 2004 except Appple just refused to fix any after the warranty period. And although this article is about their PC's they also had the reception problems witht he iphone 4 and somehow people are satisfied with just using a carrying case instead of demanding a working product...
0 0 [Posted by: cashkennedy  | Date: 01/26/11 10:17:19 AM]

@Tech Savvy Users Continue to Prefer Windows PCs over Macintosh

That was really a sweeping statement, loaded with prejudice against Macs. FYI, am not an Apple fanboy if someone tries to creep into such an assumption.

Coming to the point, what makes Macs better?

a) Rock solid build and quality
b) Good hardware specification, quite relevant to date (of course with some delays).
c) User Satisfaction and much secure compared to Windows users (Mac OS being less attack prone argument doesn't hold the water).

Now, what makes Macs not so amazing?

a) I must admit, price factor. But, I would say that the products such as MacBookPros etc are worth their price. Main issue comes with the additional components which we wish to buy. Best example is cables, I don't accept such prices but I've no choice. Also, my Mac Pros with 12-cores (but with dual Xeons) come under expensive bracket. But they are worth for my investment.
b) Service factor: again mostly attributed to prices.
c) Upgrade: Quite an issue to do it plus again price factor.

So, over all, Macs are the best if one could understand the value and able to afford it. It's something like buying a good sedan or sports class car so you can't compare to typical cars.

What I do is I mix both Mac/PCs/Workstations/Servers in my business environment. In that way I improve the efficiency of the computing infrastructure plus bring value to the investment made.
0 0 [Posted by: bulava  | Date: 01/27/11 05:47:37 AM]

I mean what is the diff between a mac and a pc anymore? Nothing other then the OS. Ever since Mac started using Intel based cpu's you can install OS X on a Windows based pc using an Intel Core 2 Duo cpu and above. so I mean, why spend hundreds of dollars more for a Mac when you can buy a Windows based Intel pc and throw Mac OS X on it for hundreds of dollars less, which many people have done.
0 0 [Posted by: SteelCity1981  | Date: 01/27/11 06:50:10 AM]

I almost didn't read this article just by the title. I mean you have to do a survey to know that people don't buy macs that game and upgrade their graphics cards, come on. And to use the term tech savvy users as a qualifier when your talking about xbit labs readers too. I read xbit but only for pc news and some other general tech news. I don't read it at all for apple related news. Do this same survey on ars technica or someplace with tech savvy apple people and you'll get different opinions.

Well maybe not since the very survey is just a bait for apple haters.

I have an imac and 2 pcs. The imac is for one set of uses and the pcs for others. I game and do a lot of things on my pcs. The pcs aren't nearly as fun to program on or do graphics work though. In general I think many people do this. They don't switch they share.

Next survey. "how many xbit lab readers use a computer to read the site?"
0 0 [Posted by: Davinchy  | Date: 01/27/11 07:54:02 AM]

Yeah... THAT'S WHY Apple saw a 241% growth, because "people do not choose Apple Macintosh": http://bit.ly/etAbFd
0 0 [Posted by: CANARIS  | Date: 01/27/11 01:18:29 PM]

FYI: Apple sold 4.13 million Macs during the quarter ended December 25, 2010, a 23 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter.http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/01/18results.html

Worldwide PC shipments in Q4 2010 totaled 93.48 million units.

Apple Macintosh's market share is 4.4%, which is well below even Toshiba's 5.7%.

Lenovo (10.1% mkt share) marked the strongest year-on-year growth in Q4 2010 among the top 5 vendors with 21.4% unit shipments growth.

So, I guess, when a company with 10.1% of the market reports similar growth to a proprietary PC supplier with 4.4%, it means that people indeed prefer Windows-based PCs.
0 1 [Posted by: Anton  | Date: 01/27/11 08:26:40 PM]

Not really. But let me explain.

First of all, I'm not a mactard and I couldn't care less if Apple would go bankrupt by tomorrow or will grow to be the new Microsoft. And, by the way, the fact that they can't do a phone alarm clock right is pretty sad in this day and age.

Now let's get back to the numbers: they don't tell you much. The fact that people buy about 1000 Bentleys per year versus I-don't-know-how-many-millions of regular cars doesn't make the regular car more "popular". A hamburger may be sold gazillion of times more than a good steak - but what would you rather have? The fact that a lot of people cannot afford some gadgets doesn't make those gadgets "un-popular".
0 0 [Posted by: CANARIS  | Date: 01/28/11 02:07:40 PM]

Even if they had more games and were cheaper I would still go custom built PC. White is so hard to keep clean.
0 0 [Posted by: FLA  | Date: 01/27/11 02:52:48 PM]

I have one problem with this conducted survey : it's been conducted on xbitlabs, a website that seems to be mainly about hardware news, and tech-related news, something that is considered out of the common of mortals, and thus mainly people knowing about computers come here, in my opinion.

Thus, I think the poll is actually biased toward PC right from the start, since you wouldn't be interested into modifying your MAC (since you can't anyway).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that MAC are in fact better or that PC are better, I'm just pointing out a problem I have with this poll.

Otherwise I almost completely agree with the article, though I also think that MAC are actually becoming more and more prevalent among laptops user due to its simplicity, and rock solid stableness.
0 0 [Posted by: Kurata  | Date: 01/28/11 01:28:18 AM]

Oh I forgot to mention a few more...

a) I've built a few times Hackintoshes on Intel PCs, quite a fun and interesting to do.

b) To do that, I could buy MacOS for very less $. Could I do the same with Windows to install on any Intel PC? NOPE. So, that's a huge money saver. Plus, with Hackintosh one could always update their machine.

In that way, people could use MacOS on any Intel PC, even multiboot with Linux and Windows. Voila! How cool would that be compared to a typical PC loaded only with Windows?
0 0 [Posted by: bulava  | Date: 01/28/11 01:40:13 AM]