Arctic Cooling, a well-known supplier of power supply units (PSUs), cooling systems and other PC accessories, has reportedly decided to sue Advanced Micro Devices in a bid to prohibit the chip company from using Fusion name to describe its chips that integrate x86 processing cores with Radeon stream processors on the same piece of silicon.

Arctic has been using Fusion brand to sell its power supply units for some time now and first applied for registration of the trademark back in early 2006. According to Heise.de web-site, Arctic attempted to negotiate with AMD, but the latter continues to use the word "Fusion" to classify its initiatives and products. The maker of PSUs, coolers and other products believes that usage of "Fusion" trademark infringes its rights.

While Arctic may own rights for the Fusion trademark, it is hardly unlikely that AMD will be ordered to stop selling its popular Fusion chips since it is pretty hard to prove that buyers acquire processors instead of PSUs or wise-versa. In fact, the industry knows a lot of examples when the same trademark is used for different products. For example, Art Lebedev studio sells Optimus keyboards, LG Electronics ships Optimus smartphones and Nvidia Corp. calls its power consumption optimization technology as Optimus.

AMD did not comment on the news-story.

Tags: AMD, Arctic, Fusion, Business

Discussion started: 01/24/12 07:49:37 AM
Latest comment: 02/10/12 09:48:24 PM

Now we know why AMD is dropping the brand name, even if it is not the main reason.
2 1 [Posted by: veli05  | Date: 01/24/12 07:49:37 AM]

This appears to be a frivolous lawsuit with little chance of any success. Suing for free money is a common practice from desperate companies these days.
19 4 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 01/24/12 07:53:13 AM]

I wonder what will happen to Arctic if AMD decides to prohibit Arctic from using any brand name that belongs to AMD. What will Arctic do then? What will happen to all these Arctic products with AMD's names and logos on them?
It will never happen, but that would have been fun. Not for Arctic...
0 0 [Posted by: john_gre  | Date: 01/24/12 05:00:38 PM]

Arctic Cooling does not use any names that violate AMD trademarks.
0 0 [Posted by: jumpingjack  | Date: 01/25/12 06:47:34 AM]

I think he means forbidding things like "cooler designed for AMD CPUS", or "best solution for Radeon cooling"
1 0 [Posted by: knedle  | Date: 01/25/12 01:46:52 PM]

That's what I mean.
0 0 [Posted by: john_gre  | Date: 01/27/12 12:23:56 AM]

I am pretty sure both "Artic" and "Cooling" have been trademarked by someone somewhere. Besides, Fusion is so commonly used. I did a simply fusion search and got millions of hits -- www.fusion.com, Juice maker V8-fusion, etc, etc.

I have purchased 3 Artic Cooling fans in the last two years. Due to this baseless suit, I might have to look somewhere else for the cooling need of my next build.
0 0 [Posted by: gamoniac  | Date: 01/24/12 05:46:31 PM]

I agree. Arctic Power Systems should sue Artic Cooling for putting their name on power supplies...

There's no chance of people confusing AMDs products with Arctic's. So this is a baseless suit, and I TOO WILL AVOID ARTIC PRODUCTS on my next build.
0 0 [Posted by: Papoulka  | Date: 01/25/12 11:33:58 AM]

UPDATE 1-24-12

Since we have some technically and socially challenged Intel fanbois in this forum who like to call me a liar and attack AMD or me any chance they get, I am posting some info. here that I stated a couple weeks ago (thread link below), would become public soon. Well now it's public and it proves I was stating accurate sales info. for AMD APUs several weeks ago.

Several Intel Fanbois decided to attack me because they can't deal with reality or AMD's success but as we see their hate did not change AMD's sales or reality.

NOW you have the FACTS and not a bunch of B.S. from clueless Intel fanbois hating in every AMD thread. They will probably however come here and spout more B.S. to make fools out of themselves no doubt?

Note:

I am not even going to try to explain the GloFo write-offs and other financial information to the troubled two because they have already demonstrated in other threads their inability to read and comprehend basic information in news reports.

17 2 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 01/24/12 07:44:07 PM]

Hey,
You sound like fun. Wanna come visit me at TechReports.com...? We'll have a good time!!

-NeelyCam
0 0 [Posted by: NeelyCam  | Date: 01/24/12 10:57:27 PM]

Judging by all those new and cheap AMD powered notebooks that I have seen in supermarket, it's no wonder that AMD is reclaiming market share.
Yesterday I've seen some Asus notebook with AMD APU an 15" matrix for 1200 PLN which is around $300-$400, this is almost as cheap, as those terrible netbooks with Intel Atom in them. Way to go AMD!
On the other hand, I'm still using 35W Sandy Bridge CPU in my desktop and have no plans to switch.
2 0 [Posted by: knedle  | Date: 01/25/12 01:52:04 PM]

I expect AMDs new Ultrathin will pretty much kill Intel's Ultrabook because AMDs Ultrathins will be priced $200-$400 less and offer better overall system performance.
16 3 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 01/25/12 04:27:17 PM]

show the post
0 4 [Posted by: PnoyP  | Date: 01/25/12 05:11:05 PM]

You just keep on hating and see if that improves your math and reading comprehension skills - which are seriously deficient.

Have you figured out yet that 30 million APUs is more than 20 million APUs and that 20 million APUs is more than 12 million APUs?

Have you figured out that a half billion dollars is actually 500 Million dollars, which is real close to 491 million dollars?

You do realise that you're embarrassing yourself with every hate post you make, right?
16 3 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 01/26/12 09:13:07 AM]

show the post
0 3 [Posted by: PnoyP  | Date: 01/27/12 09:16:31 AM]

STILL IN DENIAL PnoyP?

Have someone explain basic math to you. 30 is a larger number than 20 and 20 is larger than 12. AMD sold 30 Million APUs - even more than the 20 Million I reported a few weeks ago.

Have someone explain to you that a half billion dollars is $500 Million - real close to the $491 Million profit that AMD reported. It's real bad for your life when you fail basic math and reading classes.

Here's a hint for all Intel fanbois: HATE does not change Reality.

Get over it. You don't even have the maturity to admit you were wrong and that all you and the other Intel fanbois post is HATE and LIES about AMD and me.

Hating is a waste of energy. The only entity being biten is YOU - by your technical and social ignorance. Every post you make confirms your personal issues that you refuse to acknowledge or address. You need help.
15 2 [Posted by: beenthere  | Date: 01/27/12 03:47:31 PM]

In this case if they own the Fusion brand. they also have to sue the Tokamak Fusion Test Reactor.
0 0 [Posted by: xybit  | Date: 01/27/12 09:24:46 AM]

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

5:41 am | Samsung Debuts High-End SSD Powered by 3D V-NAND Flash with Ten Years Warranty. Samsung Unveils New Flagship SSD Based on 3D V-NAND Memory

Saturday, June 21, 2014

8:06 pm | AMD Preps a New FX-Series Microprocessor with Bundled Liquid Cooling. AMD Readies a Response to Intel’s Devil’s Canyon

Monday, June 16, 2014

10:33 pm | Failures of Hard Disk Drives Remain the Leading Cause of Data Loss. HDDs Remain the Most Popular Storage Technology and the Common Cause of Data Loss

7:17 pm | SanDisk Set to Acquire Fusion-io for $1.1 Billion. SanDisk to Boost Presence on Enterprise SSD Market with Acquisition of Fusion-io

Thursday, June 5, 2014

12:23 pm | Intel Core i7-4790K “Devil’s Canyon” Shows Significant Potential: Overclocked to 5.5GHz on Air, to 6.3GHz with LN2. Intel Launches Devil’s Canyon Microprocessors, Holds Overclocking Contest

11:43 am | SanDisk Unveils Industry’s First Consumer SSDs with Ten-Year Warranty. SanDisk Extreme Pro Sports Up to 960GB Capacities, Extreme Performance, Unprecedented Warranty