In a bid to ensure maximum possible adoption rate of Windows 8 operating system, which in many ways changes the concept of Windows in general and may be considered as revolutionary as Windows 95, Microsoft Corp. will for a limited time offer $39.99 upgrade plan to Windows 8 Pro for all personal computers running Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7.

In order to purchase Windows 8 Pro for $39.99, one will have to visit Windows.com and run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant that checks to make sure the PC is ready for Windows 8. The upgrade assistant will provide a detailed compatibility report that informs of anything one may have to address before or after the upgrade and outlines actions to take. For example the Windows 8 UA will inform of any application or device compatibility issues.

The Windows 8 Pro upgrade for $39.99 will be able to upgrade from any consumer edition of Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro and bring everything along which includes Windows settings, personal files, and apps. In case of Windows Vista, it will be able to bring along Windows settings and personal files, and in case of Windows XP it will only be able to bring along personal files.

"We believe that your upgrade experience in Windows 8 will be a breeze by offering a faster experience, a single upgrade path, and compatibility from prior versions of Windows. We have continued to listen to our customers and have expanded the ability to download to over 100 countries and 37 languages. We have simplified the Windows upgrade experience with the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant which supports you during your upgrade with everything from selecting your language to pausing your download to built-in compatibility checks - it is seamless," said Brandon LeBlanc, a spokesperson for Microsoft, in a blog post.

By creating an affordable and easy way of migrating to Windows 8 Pro, Microsoft ensures that millions of personal computers that still provide decent performance will be upgraded to the new-generation operating system, which will automatically popularize it among the end-users.

The Windows 8 Pro upgrade for $39.99 will become available once the new operating system will become available and will run through January 31st, 2013.

Tags: Microsoft, Windows 8, Windows

Discussion started: 07/03/12 05:40:51 PM
Latest comment: 10/13/12 08:17:18 AM

Nothing will sell the Metro UI on traditional PCs...
6 0 [Posted by: Martian  | Date: 07/03/12 05:40:51 PM]

Agreed, they're selling out Windows to a foolish idea that should have only resided on tablet computers.
4 0 [Posted by: Starman80  | Date: 07/04/12 08:26:02 AM]

I wouldn't even upgrade if they paid me $39.99
6 1 [Posted by: Kyrono  | Date: 07/03/12 06:06:37 PM]

Finally, Microsoft acknowledges that the real price of Windows is below $50 and that it should never cost the extra $$$.

Just one more point though: upgrading an existing installation is a really stupid idea. Clean install is the only way to go.
4 1 [Posted by: Zingam  | Date: 07/03/12 09:18:14 PM]

I paid $360 (-$140 rebate) for retail Windows 7 Ultimate the other day and I would probably pay even more if I had to. Just like Kyrono said, I would not, however, switch to Windows 8 even if I was paid the same amount by Microsoft. Windows 8 will be an ME/Vista scale disaster and I will laugh long and hard over Microsoft's plight over this. We might even see Ballmer (and his lap dog Sinofsky) kicked out the door.
5 0 [Posted by: lol123  | Date: 07/04/12 02:06:07 AM]

Well said would be awesome if they showed Ballmer the door... And I'd rather be using any other OS, including Vista, than "Windows 8"
6 0 [Posted by: Starman80  | Date: 07/04/12 08:33:21 AM]

WOW MS must be really worried that Windows 8 will be another Vista for selling the upgrade this cheap.
7 1 [Posted by: SteelCity1981  | Date: 07/04/12 12:06:04 AM]

show the post
3 6 [Posted by: tks  | Date: 07/04/12 06:09:19 AM]

I tried out the last 2 versions available for consumers.

I can run BF3 on 4GB of ram without disabling desktop composition and themes.
My OC gpu can be rebooted after a critical failure without the need to restart the system.
IE10+flash 11.3 can run 720p youtube on a single core atom with no frame drops at all.
The new task manager is great for killing stuff.
Metro is fine and many apps are nice...
...if only that thing was left out of my desktop. Without the start menu and the presence of metro everywhere it takes me double the amount of clicks to do most of the work.
And network adapters management is more broken than it is in 7.

i don't know if this is worth 40$, considering i would upgrade from 7.
1 0 [Posted by: Marburg U  | Date: 07/04/12 06:27:38 AM]

If the metro interface were disabled by default on desktop / laptop computers, it wouldn't be so bad, but this horrible new interface will definitely do a number on Windows desktop popularity, and will likely drive more people to the Mac OS!

Also, many of you will know that the actual version number of "Windows 7" is actually only 6.1. Now Windows 8 appears to be version 6.2... strange.

Anyways, as an IT professional I'm predicting record numbers of downgrades back down to Windows 7 (6.1), unless they fix the Metro debacle with a service pack or something that brings back the normal Windows desktop to the forefront.
6 1 [Posted by: Starman80  | Date: 07/04/12 10:14:24 AM]

show the post
0 5 [Posted by: rocmi1  | Date: 07/05/12 05:39:18 AM]

Would not upgrade to Win8 even if it were FREE or MS paid me $39.99!!
5 1 [Posted by: USAFANG67  | Date: 07/05/12 06:36:22 AM]

I have no intention to "downgrade" from Win7 to Win8. It looks like a LEGO engineer was let loose on the desktop.
5 1 [Posted by: bbo320  | Date: 07/05/12 07:18:36 AM]

I would only consider downgrading "windows 7" to "window 8" (not a typo) if I was paid a minimum of 2000$ per month I was forced to use it as my primary desktop OS.
4 1 [Posted by: taltamir  | Date: 07/05/12 01:29:30 PM]

I think Win 8 will be the first Windows release that won't be pirated, not because they won't be able to crack it, because nobody will want to.
2 0 [Posted by: user99  | Date: 07/18/12 10:29:11 PM]

MS proposes to me via Win8......I say no thank you because I'm already happily engaged to Win7 :-)
0 0 [Posted by: USAFANG67  | Date: 07/28/12 04:51:22 AM]

I'm going to buy as many OEM copies of Windows 7 before MS cuts it off.

The new lego interface may be great for pre-schoolers, but for those that really wish to use their computers the LEGO (MS Bob) interface is trash.
0 0 [Posted by: fdunn  | Date: 10/13/12 08:17:18 AM]