Texas Instruments has introduced lithium-ion battery charger integrated circuits (ICs) that reduce charge time by 50% in smartphones and tablets compared to other charger solutions.
The TI bq2419x family of 4.5A output, 20V input-rated switch-mode chargers with I2C interface and USB on-the-go (OTG) support delivers faster and cooler charging to a wide array of applications ranging from power banks and packs to 4G LTE routers, Wi-Fi speakers, portable medical and industrial designs.
Consumers continue to want faster battery charging in portable electronics. New designs require more accurate, highly efficient charge circuitry that keeps the system cool and safe while charging at a faster rate.
TI's new bq24190, bq24192, bq24192i, bq24193, bq24195, bq24195L and bq24196 fast-charge circuits reduce charge time through battery path impedance compensation, and offer programmable thermal management capability to ensure the safest, most reliable system operation.
Key features and benefits of the bq2419x:
- Faster charging for single-cell lithium battery packs: 4.5A output, 20V input chargers cut charge time in half with unique battery path impedance compensation.
- Cooler charging with highest efficiency: 4.5A switch-mode charger achieves 92% efficiency at 2 A and up to 90% efficiency at 4 A of output current. Meets Energy Star and European Union charging specifications. Programmable thermal regulation temperature significantly improves system-level design.
- Longer battery run-time: Integrated battery discharge MOSFET provides the industry's lowest on-resistance of 12 milliohms.
- Highest efficiency for USB OTG: 92% boost efficiency at 2.1A with the bq24195.
- Safe charging: Prevents overvoltage, protects the battery and system during charging. bq24193 supports JEITA guidelines.
- Simple to design: Smallest, most integrated battery charging solution (4-mm x 4-mm QFN package) integrates Power Path management, synchronous FETs, integrated current sensing, internal loop compensation and bootstrap diode.
TI's broad range of power management and analog signal chain products offers design engineers the high performance, low power and integration they need to create innovative and differentiated consumer electronics. TI is engineering the future with gesture recognition, touch feedback, energy harvesting, wireless power, audio, health technology and more.
The bq2419x battery chargers for single-cell Li-Ion batteries is available now in a 24-pin, 4mm*4mm QFN package, priced at $2.50 in quantities of 1000. Designers can order the bq2419xEVM through TI's e-store.