Intel Invests in Gaikai Cloud Video Game Streaming Service
Intel Capital invests $24 Million in Seven Software Companies
by Anton Shilov
09/09/2011 | 04:12 PM
Intel Capital global investment organization on Friday announced seven investments to drive continued innovation across the software ecosystem. The deals total over $24 million and include new investments in various providers of cloud-based services, including Gaikai, a video game streaming service.
The seven companies have developed innovative technologies related to key initiatives of Intel's software strategy. Recognizing that software is tightly coupled with, and a vital element of, all Intel platforms and processors, Intel provides software products and services, design resources, technical expertise and consulting worldwide. Intel helps create the best platforms for delivering captivating user experiences and Intel Capital's efforts support software ecosystem development that help drive this strategy.
"The best computing experiences unite leading-edge hardware with amazing software. These investments in best-of-breed software vendors play an integral part in Intel's software strategy by fueling the creation of compelling and unique user experiences across devices. They also demonstrate our stage-agnostic approach to investing in support of this ecosystem,” said Arvind Sodhani, president of Intel Capital.
The following is additional information on the new portfolio companies and their strategic engagements with Intel:
- DynamicOps provides an Operations Virtualization platform that enables enterprise IT to evolve existing infrastructure into on-demand private and public cloud services, achieving leading time-to-cloud and providing the ability to respond to market dynamics faster and more economically. Enterprises can leverage existing, cross-organizational processes while having the freedom to easily interchange technologies, creating a multi-vendor solution. Using DynamicOps' Cloud Development Kit, enterprise IT can create next-generation cloud services. DynamicOps aligns with Intel's CloudBuilder vision of building an ecosystem of companies across the cloud stack optimized for Intel architecture.
- enLighted is helping transform commercial energy management by providing a solution that offers simple installation and maintenance-free operation. enLighted's application brings distributed people-aware intelligence to traditional lighting fixtures. Intel's vision is to support embedded companies like enLighted in the intelligent building market segment by providing comprehensive open-source embedded software and hardware to accelerate deployment of embedded solutions.
- IP Commerce provides a Platform-as-a-Service that functions as a commerce operating system. Capabilities such as managing payments, security, underwriting risk, network connectivity and integration are important to the payments' value chain. IP Commerce enables application developers to create customized, intelligent multi-channel commerce applications and payment workflows that give retailers enhanced opportunities to interact with customers. IP Commerce is aligned with Intel's compute continuum strategy by allowing developers to embed rich payment functionality in applications that can run on billions of connected devices.
- Guavus provides solutions for timely decision-making on big data for Fortune 1000 enterprises. Guavus' technology, which stems from more than a decade of research and development, provides an integrated and scalable platform coupled with a business logic layer to rapidly codify industry-specific analytics applications. Solutions on the Guavus' decisioning platform are being used every day by major communications service providers across North America to maximize revenue and control costs, and are among the largest analytics deployments.
- Swrve New Media (San Francisco) provides game personalization and testing for social games that redefine the relationship between game makers and game players. Swrve's real-time personalization allows design, product and marketing teams to continually test and adjust their games in the cloud, maximizing engagement across an unlimited range of players. This real-time feedback loop will help connect brands with their intended audiences and ultimately create better and customized experiences for consumers. Founded in 2010, the company is in private beta with a small number of social games. Swrve is aligned with Intel's visual computing software strategy and enables game designers to improve monetization through analysis of in-game events and transactions.
- Gaikai (Los Angeles) provides a cloud gaming service that streams video games directly to the Web browser. By making game demos instantly playable on any website, Gaikai delivers players and drives sales for a fraction of the cost of traditional advertising. Gaikai is aligned with Intel's compute continuum and visual computing strategies for delivering games to any client that supports display of video.
- Revolution Analytics is a commercial provider of software and services based on the open source "R" project for statistical computing. The company's flagship Revolution R Enterprise product brings high performance, productivity and enterprise readiness to R, meeting the production needs of large organizations in industries such as finance, life sciences, retail, manufacturing and media. Revolution Analytics is aligned with Intel's visual and parallel computing and open source strategies.