Tilera Reveals Tile-IQ Technology to Accelerate General-Purpose Applications
Tilera's Tile-IQ Promises to Accelerate Applications by 3 to 5 Times
by Anton Shilov
10/18/2013 | 11:59 PM
Tilera Corp., developer many-core general purpose processors, has announced the availability of Tile-IQ, a portfolio of technology that enables heterogeneous computing using the Tile-Gx processors together with standard x86 CPUs to accelerate systems and offload entire applications.
“Tilera’s processors outperform everything else in the market on a wide range of data plane and security plane workloads. Combining a plug-in Tilera adapter with ubiquitous Intel and AMD x86 servers for the control plane enables embedded systems OEMs, datacenter operators and service providers to preserve their investment and achieve maximum performance with no disruption to their infrastructure,” said Devesh Garg, chief executive of Tilera.
Leveraging C/C++ programming, Intel DPDK-compatible drivers and an industry-standard Linux environment, OEMs and network operators can deploy software-defined networking (SDN) and security functions enabling broad classes of network and compute-intensive applications, including network functions virtualization (NFV).
Tile-IQ technology is the convergence of three elements:
- Tilencore-Gx Intelligent Application Adapters – A family of server adapters that incorporates Tilera’s Tile-Gx manycore processors scaling from 9, 16, 36 up to 72-cores, with integrated 10Gb to 80Gbps of Ethernet I/O – all in a low-power PCIe form factor;
- Multicore Development Environment (MDE) – Tilera’s best-in-class development toolkit and runtime software that enables customers to easily port, optimize and customize applications in an industry standard Linux/C based programming environment;
- Pre-Ported Modular Application Suites – Including foundational elements such as the Software-Defined Network Interface Card (NIC) framework or Open vSwitch (OVS) and spanning up to full applications such as Suricata IDS/IPS or Deep Packet Inspection packages from leading vendors;
- The Tile-IQ technology uniquely solves the limitations of fixed offload functions, limited capacity, no scalability and antiquated programming environments offered by traditional accelerator vendors. With Tile-IQ, customers can easily re-compile code from their x86 CPU to the Tilera environment and decouple the high-performance and latency-sensitive security and data plane from the control plane to achieve optimum results.
Production-Ready Hardware – Tilera’s Tilencore-Gx Intelligent Application Adapter family offloads and accelerates a wide range of workloads in a standard PCI Express form factor. These adapters include from one to eight 10Gbps Ethernet ports in a single card or can be configured for co-processing applications as well. For OEM’s developing customized hardware, Tilera offers the Tile-Gx9, 16, 36 and 72 processors; all are software and application run-time compatible.
Modular Software Framework – Tile-IQ provides a software infrastructure that allows developers to connect different applications together to form the needed functionality. The following applications are available from Tilera and its partners, running seamlessly and scaling across the 9, 16, 36 and 72-core Tile-Gx processor family:
- Software-Defined NIC – Complete infrastructure framework for a highly agile and programmable N x 10G NIC function, with extensions for 40G and 100G, supporting Intel DPDK drivers, SR-IOV and virtualized servers;
- Open vSwitch – L2-4 open source user-space implementation at speeds up to 40Gbps, tightly coupled with SR-IOV, designed to support SDN and NFV server adapters;
- Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) – Real-time, Layer 2-7 classification of network application traffic at up to 50Gbps on a single Tile-Gx processor;
- Security Protocol Offload – Complete IPsec and SSL datapath and handshake offload at 40Gbps;
- Intrusion Detection/Prevention – Highest performance Suricata multi-threaded IDS/IPS, fully integrated on Tile-Gx with support for the ‘Emerging Threats’ rule base;
- Network Analytics – Wire-speed capture of packets to host processor or to disc with precision time-stamping, and with optional programmable flow filtering at up to 80Gbps;
- •TCP/IP Stack – High performance user-space TCP/IP implementation scales linearly with number of cores. 80Gbps throughput and 1.3M connections/second using a fraction of cores.