Hitachi Global Storage Technologies announced extensions in its 1.8” form-factor hard disk drives family with 40GB and 60GB models. The new drives are shipping today, enabling makers of multimedia gadgets, to boost storage capacities of their products without boosting their sizes.
The increased capacities of the C4K60 were achieved by adding another platter to the drives, which resulted in slightly higher sizes of the new models: 9.50mm in height, whereas the 20GB and 30GB HDDs have only one platter and 7.0mm sized in height. Still, the new HDDs are as reliable as the previous versions in terms of shock resistance.
Specifications of the new C4K60 IDE HDD family are as follows:
- 20/30/40/60GB capacities;
- 7.0/9.5mm in height;
- 4200rpm speed;
- 99.8Gbit per square inch maximum areal density;
- 1/2 glass disk platter(s);
- 2/4 GMR recording heads;
- 1200G/1ms non-operating shock;
- 500 G/2ms operating shock;
- 7.1ms average latency;
- 15ms average seek time;
- Parallel ATA-100 maximum interface transfer rate;
- 47/62 weight in grams;
- 1.6/1.8Bels typical idle acoustics;
- 2.2/2.4 Bels typical operating acoustics.